Had a hang with the scouts this past weekend. I'd been playing with a ground setup for the hex and left it rigged that way for the campout.
Tie-out loops have been added to the middle of the hex sides. These now become the ridgeline connection points. This configuration does decrease the ridgeline length a bit. If I knew it was going to be a rainy outing, I'd most likely switch back to the normal config. Also, the snakeskins have too much of a taper to work well, as the furled tarp is too thick on the ends. I neglected to close the ends like I had in the ground pitch as it was getting dark when I setup. Also, I didn't stakeout the middle tieout on one side.