Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images

Reflectix works

Yes it works very well maybe to well ! I think I forgot to cinch up the UQ to the hammock before retiring for the evening and got a cold spot because last night in the forest was nice. It was a balmy 14* with a wind at about 10 mph out of the west and I was A O K.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Images

re

Didn't get out there last night but I'm about to suit up and try tonight.

I see we've got a few nights in the teens this coming week as well.

Gunner I'm actually practicing with the intention of doing the Neusiok with a few buddies in January or February and I'm hoping what I learn this week will give us a better idea of how log we can go without having to invest in more/better gear, although frankly I hope it stays warmer than 40 when we go.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    ...which I'll wear inside a cheap 30 degree Target sleeping bag along ...
    I think I'm a fairly warm sleeper, but I've always found it a problem to reach a sleeping bag's advertised rating. There's exceptions but I like to have a 10 degree "safety factor"... for example my 15 degree Eureka Casper does quite nicely at 25 or better, but I'll wake up cold after about 4 hours at 20. Not frozen stiff, just cold and uncomfortable.

Most of the other tricks, wearing other items, hot water bottles and the like just make it more possible to approach that rating, just IMO.

Hammock
    Grand trunk ultra light
    Tarp
    10x8 blue tarp
    Insulation
    probly DIY
    Suspension
    two trees?
    Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    Yes it works very well maybe to well ! I think I forgot to cinch up the UQ to the hammock before retiring for the evening and got a cold spot because last night in the forest was nice. It was a balmy 14* with a wind at about 10 mph out of the west and I was A O K.

was there any.. CONDENSATION!!!! if there wasnt how did you prevent it? im thinking about putting ssome reflectixs under my blue pad to keep me warm cause uq are toooooo spendy
    EMBRACE THE SUCK

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images
    The stuff I used has small holes punched through it so it can breath it is a blue pad 3/16" with a single layer of what I think is of Mylar. There was no puddle and I was warm (no cold butt) I still used the UQ and TQ. There was condensation on the top quilt where exhaled moisture hit the exposed to the cold top edge of it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    I think I'm a fairly warm sleeper, but I've always found it a problem to reach a sleeping bag's advertised rating. There's exceptions but I like to have a 10 degree "safety factor"... for example my 15 degree Eureka Casper does quite nicely at 25 or better, but I'll wake up cold after about 4 hours at 20. Not frozen stiff, just cold and uncomfortable.

Most of the other tricks, wearing other items, hot water bottles and the like just make it more possible to approach that rating, just IMO.
    I once was out when temps dropped below forecast, and I ended up at or just below 10° while on the ground in a 25° bag. I had an insulated Thermarest, but I cannot tell you how cold I really was, but I did survive (barely).

Thanks to more experience and the forum, with my current setup and extras (water bottle, fleece liner & space blanket above the UQ) I feel I could now be much more comfortable in those conditions, and with less weight than I had then.

But more to the point of your post. I have used my 25° Kelty Light Year down to 25° and even a little below with no issues. Maybe I am lucky to have one of the better products. I am still using this as a TQ in my hammock.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Images

re

Spent the entire night in the hammock last night! When I walked out there about 9PM it was already 27F and dipped down to 23F during the night according to my weather app.

I folded the heavy duty socks back down over my ankles but not back over my feet and they were very toasty all night long so I've got that problem worked out.

I took the down throw this time as well and for the first hour I played Angry Birds with no problems. My fingers didn't get numb even though I have to take off the possum down gloves to play. I also adjusted my lay and was able to keep the hand warmer in between my legs. It has a draw string sack that feels kind of like pool table felt or something and has enough friction it stays in place pretty well.

About 3AM I woke up slightly chilled and had to get up to use the tree. When I got back in I pulled out my SB and put it on over everything which helped some. At this point my hand warmer was starting to die as I didn't fill it up before heading out. When I finally woke up around 6:30 I couldn't mess with my phone without my fingers immediately getting too cold. I don't think the 4 degree drop over night was the issue, I think the hand warmer made that much difference.

I haven't tried a water bottle but I slept on my side for part of the night, I don't think I could have done that with a Nalgene so the shape of the zippo gadget works great for me.

I noticed that if I lay there calmly my face felt fine since there was no wind to speak of, but if I moved around and caused my breath to quicken any at all my nose began to freeze. The wind chill of air being sucked into my nose/mouth was just enough to be uncomfortable at that point.

I did sleep in my heavy coat which I wish I didn't have to. I don't consider it backpacking gear but at the same time if I were out in weather this cold on a trip I'd either have it or have to purchase some new gear for the trip.

I cobbled together an extra wide foam pad by just taping the extra flaps of foam on. I think I shall have to look into making an SPE and cut some reflectix to match the wings. Every now and then I'd roll over so my left shoulder was near the tie out and it would get a cold spot where the reflectix isn't as wide as my pad.

All in all I'm happy but I imagine I can only do this low if there's no wind or unless I get a hex tarp or a weather shield to go over the hammock. I also think I was probably knocking on the door of how low this setup can go even in calm weather.
    Last edited by Gqgeek81; 12-10-2010 at 15:12. Reason: re

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Webbing
    Images
    I will sleep out tonight and the forecast is -2F with a slight northern breeze.

My equipment is a 10x10ft DIY-tarp on which I can close up the short sides. I have a DD Frontline Hammock with double layers.
    Between the layers I will put a reindeerskin.... (I´m from northern Sweden and my wife own a couple of reindeers so for me that insulation is FREE)
    I have an old down sleeping bag from the mid 80´s. It´s a swedish one, Fjällräven Himalaya, and it´s graded to approx -4F.
    Since I will try to use the sleepingbag like a topquilt I will sleep in double layers of underwear, wool closest to the body and fleece as a second layer. I will also wear 2-3 pairs of socks, warm trousers and a warm jacket. On my head I will wear a balaclava and a warm cap.

If it get´s to hot I will take off my trousers and my jacket but I will try to sleep in it to see if it´s possible.
    Hopefully this gear will work for me down to -22F, that´s why I want to try it in -2F.

IF i survive I will write about it in the morning and put up some pictures.

See ya!
    Last edited by Stavros; 12-10-2010 at 15:58. Reason: Spelling problems......
    No longer with a great "Yukon Yak Fever"

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

My pictures:My Picasa-album

My paracord-webshop:Webshop
    Sorry dudes, only in Swedish (so far).

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    FYI, an old trick I learned form a wise old hippie, when camping in the cold, put a cough drop in your mouth at bedtime. The cough drop will keep you from waking up with a sore throat when its cold for all you mouth breathers out there.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    We are getting -15º Sunday night..... hope to be home from my gig in Iowa to sleep out and test. Monday is supposed to be -12º so I still have that night too.
    Whooooooo Buddy Crackin' Cold.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast