View Poll Results: What, if any, hammock gear have you (accidentally) left in the field?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Webbing Straps

16 22.54%
  • Toggles

4 5.63%
  • Whoopie Slings

0 0%
  • Carabiner, Dutch Clip, or fastener

3 4.23%
  • Guyline, ridgeline, or tie-out

12 16.90%
  • Other

36 50.70%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Stakes, stakes, stakes. Yup, that should have been an obvious one on the survey. I'm always finding stakes at campgrounds. Sorry I missed putting that as an option!

Hammock
    Traveller/GT Ultralight/Nano 7
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ/MMG IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have lost a couple of stakes, so I've now painted my ti stakes blue. Last trip, I was packed up and happened to look around and noticed straps still on the trees.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Voted straps but it was actually straps and nice shiny new toggles...

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    ====> hehehe....I was sitting around playing with stake-carving with a knife I had just gotten, and made about a dozen or so out of good hardwood branches with branch hooks. Fire-hardened them, too! Thought I would try em out, so I used three. Left 'em all there for the next camper in a neat little pile. wonder what they thought?
    They thought, "Hey look! Someone left some kindling and they even made it charcoal on one end. How nice."

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I consider myself forgetful,

so I have little rituals and tricks for remembering my gear. Using a cuntinuous strap from teh AHE buckles up to the trees and either Dutch Clips or 'biners has saved me from forgetting tree huggers.

Ridgelines are another story. Not so much hammock ridgelines, but ones for my big Cookes 15x15 flat canoeing tarps. Luckily I carry spares.

I have placed loops of Kelty TripTease guyline on all of my stakes. The yellow helps locate them in daylight, and the tracer stands out brightly in the dawn.

Jim

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I have not yet had a problem with straps, but my hammock take down ritual probably covers that. The SBPro has a pouch sewn on in the middle of the hammock. I start by unhooking one of the slings from the toggle, and I roll it to the middle and put it in the pouch, Then I stuff the other half from the middle to the end. As I remove it from the one side, I take it off the toggle and as soon as it is in the pouch, I remove the straps and toggles, roll them up and put them in the pouch also.

That way it always stays together.

I too have lost countless stakes, but not yet while hammocking.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    Tree straps. Left behind a couple of times. Now I keep everything linked together with the JRB continuous suspension. Also stakes seem to get lost in the leaf clutter.
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Waiting for MacEntyre to chime in on this about Trail Days last year. Its priceless...
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    Waiting for MacEntyre to chime in on this about Trail Days last year. Its priceless...
    Ok... if you insist.

I stayed up late partying with Tin Man and his gang, Chris from Inertia Foods, Brian Vargo and Cuffs. Chris had some WV fruit juice, and Tin Man's Japanese guest brought some excellent Saki. It was a grand time. I enjoyed getting to know those wonderful people. We laughed a lot and stayed up late.

The previous night my hammock stand failed, and I had not fixed it by the time I wanted to turn in. So, I borrowed a hammock from the vendor next to Tree to Tree Trail Gear. They had left two hammocks hanging on stands. That vendor is notorious for using tight suspensions, and I prefer a generous sag. It was not the most comfortable hang, but I managed to get some Zs.

I got up at o'dark thirty the next morning and drove to Linville Gorge, where I was going to meet Medicine Man, LDCakes and another HFer. When I got to Spence Trailhead, I found Wisenber, who was about to head home after a couple of days in the Gorge. We chatted while I packed my gear, and suddenly I discovered that my hammock, tarp and stakes were still in Damascus! I did not use them the night before, so I totally forgot about them!

Wisenber immediately volunteered to loan me his gear. I did not even have a chance to get upset about it, because the solution was offered so quickly!

Darby laughs about it every time he recalls Trail Days. I guess he thought I was affected by the combination of saki and Chris' WV fruit juice. Could be. It could also have been that rough night in a borrowed hammock that was strung way too tight! Who knows?

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234