DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Sleeping Bags vs Quilts

As I am new to hammocks I have been reading up a lot on them. I noticed that most everyone here talks about using an upper and lower quilt. Does this mean that a sleeping bag isn't necessary? What are the pros to using a quilt vs a sleeping bag? Thanks

-Trevor

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Mainly because it is easier to get into a top quilt in a hammock versus trying to get into a mummy style sleeping bag. Also, top quilts are lighter due to less material being used.

I made a video between the two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhkYhlZ1LCg
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey A-sym
    Tarp
    JRB Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing / Amsteel
    Hey Trevor,
    I think the main difference between a sleeping bag and a Top quilt in a hammock is primarily comfort. Since a sleeping bag is theoretically meant to be used for sleeping on the ground it goes completely around you on the bottom and top, making getting in one and moving around in a hammock in a sleeping bag sort of a pain in the bottom. Also, since you're compressing the bottom of the material (primaloft or down) in the bag against the hammock material, it pretty much makes the bottom insulation wasted. Top quilts tend to be lighter since they dont have insulation on the bottom but achieve the same warmth in a hammock since they cinch up tight under your shoulders and around your feet. With a top quilt you can squirm more in your hammock without having to slide the bag material on the hammock nylon like you would with a regular bag.

You can def. still use a sleeping bag as a top quilt though. Actually I dont have a top quilt. I just use my sleeping bag like one and unzip it along the side down until about knee length to make a footbox. I just slide my feet in there and then use the rest of the bag as a blanket. Works fine.

Hope this helps

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    @ Raul
    I just watched your video and it was great. Just trying to get into a sleeping bag would be a little awkward while in a hammock. haha I will be sure to check out more of your videos

@Diezel Dorf
    Your info was indeed helpful. A bunch of friends and I are going to be hiking Superior Trail in Northern Mn in a few months and they will be using sleeping bags I think and now I can explain to them some tips.

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate it.

-Trevor

Senior Member Cold Butt Stephen's Avatar
    Hammock
    SL 1.1 oz DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I think since you're new to hammocking it's worth emphasizing that you will get VERY little insulation out of the bottom of your sleeping bag due to it being compressed. If it is at all cold you will need to use something under the hammock(ie. underquilt) or sleep on a pad in the hammock. I'm definitely speaking from some very cold experience here

For the record, though, I sleep in a sleeping bag. I think that I will move to a top quilt in time, but it's a nice bag and I am too cheap to get a top quilt. It is definitely inconvenient to get in and out of it, though, and a pain when it bunches up.
    ------------------------------------------------------

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Butt Stephen View Post
    For the record, though, I sleep in a sleeping bag. I think that I will move to a top quilt in time, but it's a nice bag and I am too cheap to get a top quilt. It is definitely inconvenient to get in and out of it, though, and a pain when it bunches up.
    Ya, I was thinking the same thing. How well do sleeping pads work? Are they enough for 3 seasonal hiking or should I just go and get an under quilt?

Senior Member Cold Butt Stephen's Avatar
    Hammock
    SL 1.1 oz DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey776 View Post
    Ya, I was thinking the same thing. How well do sleeping pads work? Are they enough for 3 seasonal hiking or should I just go and get an under quilt?
    It depends on the individual. There is a thread on the subject here. I think I could go pretty low, but I am getting an underquilt because I don't want to sacrifice the comfort of the hammock and because I don't really wanna carry a pad if I don't have to. If you go with just pad, I'd suggest using one of the ideas in the "pads and their tricks section here.
    ------------------------------------------------------

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey776 View Post
    Sleeping pads are definitely useable for 3-season camping in MN! I've done pads down to 28* across Minnesota and Wisconsin very comfortably. Use of a segmented pad extender (SPE) make them even more comfortable, check the archives here for info.

People will often switch to underquilts for convenience- they are easier to use than a pad, in my opinion. If you've got the $$, and are a committed hanger, then UQs are sort of the next evolutionary step.

-Greg

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    I prefer my sleeping bag as it's more flexible. Fair enough I'm adding a bit of extra weight but it gives me a lot more options. I can zip up in my bag in my hammock when it's very cold, it let's me camp on the ground if needs dictate. Yet I can flip it over and half unzip it and use it as a quilt.

I also like having the material rather than nylon agaist my back, if I use it as a bag I have the hood which wraps up nicely around my neck and the back of my head which helps keep that area warm.

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    You can use a sleeping pad and sleeping bag combo in a hammock.

One of the reasons I bought a bridge hammock was that a sleeping pad and sleeping bag combo work slightly better in it as opposed to a gathered end hammock.

I eventually bought an UQ and then later a TQ.

I plan on supplementing the TQ / UQ with the sleeping pad and sleeping bag combo in sub 0*F temps.
    Love my JRB BMB

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast