TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    I didn't want to hijack a different thread, but Brandon's reply on that thread intrigued me.

I'm 6'0" and weigh in right now about 225. I'm back on my workout regimen and hope to be down around 200 in 3-4 months.

I've spent ~10 nights in my 1.7 BB dbl. I've had a couple of those "perfect" hangs with very little knee ridge pressure, and have had a couple of hangs where I just had to get out and re-adjust to get a good hang. I know it's all in practice, practice practice... but...

Reading Brandon's response made me wonder if I might get a better hang from a 1.1 dbl rather than a 1.7 dbl???

Has anyone else compared the two?

I'm leaning towards just buying one and trying it out. I can always re-sell it.
    I'm really interested to see what you think about your 1.1 double experiment. I was in the same quandary when I ordered. My weight is right at the max flatness for the 1.1 double. I also wanted the olive green color. So I went 1.7 double. I also had Brandon make mine a custom with a right side zipper. I haven't been able to try mine out yet. I recently had knee surgery and we've had terrible weather lately (cold, snow, wind) so my BB hasn't "flown" yet. The talk about the knee ridge thing worries me, especially since I am committed to some weight lose also. Maybe I better tough it out and go put up the hammock in the yard to see what I experience.
    Keep us updated on your findings.
    KJ

Images
    you can always put a filled stuffsac under them if you need to

Hammock
    1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    Skeeters! that's it - made my decision.

Dylan? what part of Central jersey?
    originally from East Windsor/Twin Rivers here
    That part. Good old Exit 8 . My office is actually in Twin Rivers.

I'm always running into people that lived in Twin Rivers at one time or another. I have a theory that half the East Coast either: 1) was born in a Brooklyn hospital, 2) Graduated from Penn State, or 3) lived in Twin Rivers at one time.
    - Dylan

“You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    I'm really interested to see what you think about your 1.1 double experiment. I was in the same quandary when I ordered. My weight is right at the max flatness for the 1.1 double. I also wanted the olive green color. So I went 1.7 double. I also had Brandon make mine a custom with a right side zipper. I haven't been able to try mine out yet. I recently had knee surgery and we've had terrible weather lately (cold, snow, wind) so my BB hasn't "flown" yet. The talk about the knee ridge thing worries me, especially since I am committed to some weight lose also. Maybe I better tough it out and go put up the hammock in the yard to see what I experience.
    Keep us updated on your findings.
    KJ
    I can get a majority of the knee ridge out of the 1.7 dbl if I hang it with the strap angles at about 40 degrees. I can also get a majority out if I hang the foot end 6-8" higher than the head end (with straps at about 30 degrees, but this just puts my feet to sleep after a couple of hours).

If the 1.1 dbl doesn't work out, my next step will be to change out the structural ridgeline to an adjustable line so I can shorten it a little - 1" to 2" at most - to see if that extra sag helps out. I'm afraid with that much sag, I'll be laying across the zipper though... I guess we'll see...
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images

Cool

Extra sag does it for me. I had a problem with knee pressure the first night in the hammock, So I made the commitment to sleep in the thing for a solid two weeks. Bought an adjustable ridgeline from Whoopieslings.com and went to work. Only shortened it like 1-2 inches and managed to find that sweet spot. Now It's just like home. (For the record 1.7 DL and I weigh 195... seriously considered ordering a 1.1 DL or 1.7 SL just to see if I can turn a 10 into an 11)

Hammock
    tttg sb 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    hmg cuben
    Insulation
    Crows Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I am looking for a little follow up on how this worked out for shane. I am thinking about changing my 1.1 dbl to an adjustable ridge line to try and stop the knee pressure, dave

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drichi View Post
    I am looking for a little follow up on how this worked out for shane. I am thinking about changing my 1.1 dbl to an adjustable ridge line to try and stop the knee pressure, dave
    Before you change out the current ridgeline take a small carabiner and clip over the ridgeline. Start wrapping the the ridgeline cord around the biner to shorten the length of the ridgeline until you find a length that works. This is a quick way to test different lengths without changing to an adjustable ridgeline

Hammock
    tttg sb 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    hmg cuben
    Insulation
    Crows Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    thanks, thats a great idea. dave

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I've found that leaving just the slightest bit of slack in the ridgeline will make any knee pressure go away right quick. You could probably shorten the ridgeline by a bit and accomplish the same thing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast