WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web

-0F test hang for the MN Cold But Hang

Tonight it's getting down below 0F, so I decided that it would be a good opportunity to test my cold weather gear. My wife thinks I'm nuts . I set up my WBBB and new model Superfly w/ attached doors today in the daylight but I had to run to the hardware store because the ground was so frozen I had to get some landscaping spikes to use as tarp stakes.

For my insulation I'm using my JRB Rocky Mountain Sniveller as a TQ, a Thermarest pad and my JRB Mount Washington 3 Convertible(MW3C) in full mode as my UQ. I love my MW3C! I can use it in the 2/3 mode all summer long. When I switch it to full mode it's good by itself for most winter conditions (I've had it down to 17F in jeans and a t-shirt and been toasty warm without the pad).

I will be wearing some mid weight poly pro long Johns, Polar-tec waffle weave long johns, fleece long sleeved top and bottoms, down insulated vest and drawers, a rabbit fur hat, scarf, shearling chopper mittens and a pair of my thickest wool socks.

I'm in my back yard so I can bail out if necessary. I'll report how everything goes some time tomorrow. It might take me awhile to post, so don't worry to much that I've become a Beasticle .

Wish me luck!
    B

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    Wish me luck!
    B
    Best of luck! Zero degrees?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    It went mostly fine, I'm going back to bed I'll report more later ...

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Awesome to read about fellow cold weather campers pushing the envelope [safely].

Can you also list the clothing layers so we can get an idea of the full sleep system?

Was the thermareast a full length? pro-lite? z-rest?

Thanks !
    Love my JRB BMB

Images
    That is quite a testimony for the MW3 C! I think if I was starting from scratch that would be at the top of my list.

Whew! That sure seems early for below zero not even in the mountains! It has even been very cold here in the deep south.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Can you also list the clothing layers so we can get an idea of the full sleep system?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    I will be wearing some mid weight poly pro long Johns, Polar-tec waffle weave long johns, fleece long sleeved top and bottoms, down insulated vest and drawers, a rabbit fur hat, scarf, shearling chopper mittens and a pair of my thickest wool socks.
    My insulated down drawers and vest are from Cabelas, my fur hat is a Madbomber and my fleece is either Cabelas or Columbia. I don't know the brands of my other stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Was the thermareast a full length? pro-lite? z-rest?
    I don't know it's pretty old. It's about 2'X41/2'X 1"
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That is quite a testimony for the MW3 C! I think if I was starting from scratch that would be at the top of my list.
    I can't say enough good things about it !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Whew! That sure seems early for below zero not even in the mountains! It has even been very cold here in the deep south.
    Yeah, 0F is not unheard of in Nov or Dec but, it's usually a little warmer. It was a good and needed temp to test my gear.

I went out last night shortly after midnight. It was 0F then. My feet got cold because I was only wearing over-shoes and I had to readjust most of my gear. I then climbed in and covered up. I stayed plenty warm once my feet warmed back up. My feet still got cold a few times because, I think that the foot box didn't get fully covered by my UQ. It wasn't bad enough for me to get out and do anything about it, I just took turns as to which foot was on the outside getting chilled. I will have to figure something out for the future on that one.

I battened down my tarp too much so it got frosty under my tarp, on my bug-net, and the outside of my TQ. In the future I'll have to make sure that I have my tarp properly vented. I woke up at 5am and I needed to go pee. The only parts of me that were cold, were my one foot and of all things my eyes . I'm considering the test a success!

Images
    YAY! That is a success, seems to me!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Great test! Thanks for the report. You can add a mitten hook to your footbox and a loop to quilt to keep it where you need it to keep your feet warm.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    BillyBob makes a good point, if starting from ground zero the. JRB MW3C is def one to start with.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    ...You can add a mitten hook to your footbox and a loop to quilt to keep it where you need it to keep your feet warm.
    Good idea. My first no sew idea will be to run a small rope from the bottom (foot end) tie outs, up and over the ridgeline. If that doesn't work I'll do the mitten hook. I might even put one up near the head end too because, if the UQ slips off of the WBBB on the shelf side, I have to get out of my hammock, to retrieve the UQ, and to put it back under me again .
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    BillyBob makes a good point, if starting from ground zero the. JRB MW3C is def one to start with.
    The JRB MW3C is the only UQ that I use and I use it all year long. I also use a JRB Shenandoah and a JRB Rocky Mountain Sniveler but only as TQs.

• + New Posts