Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images

What to get?

For awhile now I've been wanting a more versatile tarp. I'd like to be able to use it, and have coverage for nearly all seasons. Currently I only have the stock hennessy and on those cold windy nights just doesn't cut it. I'm sure eventually ill have more than one tarp but for the time being I'm just looking to get something bigger.

My main interest are the big mamba jamba in spinn and a zpacks 11' x 8'10" rectangle so if need be doors could be used. The bmj with pull outs is 12oz and doors are 8oz equalling 20oz for $250. The zpack rectangle with pullouts and extra tie out if needed weight around 6oz and cost around $250.

It seems most people are leading me more toward the spinn but at this point I really can't understand why. People have told me cuben is just as strong, if not stronger, weighs less, pitchs just as taught, and just as easy to field repair with duct tape and eventually patch.

What would you guys get if you could only have one tarp?
    Last edited by exup; 12-08-2010 at 09:07.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Some good info in this thread.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3997

I ran through the topics really quick and there were tons of this type of info available.
    Take your time and read through. Alot of good info here. It is a pain sometimes to have to sort it out, but it's work th it in the end.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Price is the main separator, IMO, between Cuben and Spinn. I think Cuben comes in multiple colors too, which is a big plus for some folks.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Sorry, missed the part about cuben and spinn.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i'd say cuben at this juncture.

have joe put 4 tie outs along each edge.. the center 2 can tie to the ground, and each corner and be folded around as doors. spring for wall panel pulls too.

add the arched ridgeline.. boy that sounds nice
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for everyones help.

No matter how hard I convince myself otherwise I keep coming back to the cuben. Hopefully one day ill have both, but I can't see the oppurtunity arrising to drop $250 on one tarp after the first purchase. I was thinking 5 tie out per side. Basically exactly like the hex tarp pictured on Joe's site, just with option of doors. I need to get some measurments together and maybe get a cheap blue tarp and cut it to size to see where tie outs would need to be for the door option. I won't have the money until spring or summer anyway I'm sure.

I've been thinking about the catenary ridhe too. Think that would be beneficial?

Hammock
    WB
    Tarp
    UGQ WD +2 pole mod
    Insulation
    Detail UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    mostly reliable!
    Images
    This tarp from Campmor is a pretty good buy. I have this one and the smaller one. They are a bit on the heavy side but very durable. Since I've upgraded, I have cut the smaller one up and used if for a couple of other projects. If you hang them on the diagonal, you should get enough cover for mild weather.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22216

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl. & hk2001
    Tarp
    MLD cuben, WB Edge
    Insulation
    yeti, crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies, bulltape
    I have a cuben I bought from a forum member and I love it. It pitches easier and stays tighter than any tarp I've ever used. It's 11 x 10 hex cut. Using only 4 tie outs it stood up to 35mph winds and rain without losing significant tautness (is that a word?)

Instead of using a ridgeline, I tied directly to the tarp using a soft shackles on a prussik in 7/64 amsteel. Seems like overkill maybe but its still real light, holds a prussik like crazy, and I can pull it very hard to set the prussik. Just spliced loops in the amsteel to wrap around the tree and slide the shackles where I want it, also you can move it a little one way or the other if needed. No knots and easier to set than a knotbone and figure 9, imo.

Once you pull the tarp tight, and I mean pull that sucker! The apex forms a nice arch or curve that eliminates the need pull outs. I use gutter spikes as stakes and find they work very well with his tarp. $300 is a lot to pay for a tarp for sure, but so far, I'm not at all disappointed. Just try to be extra careful with it to avoid damage, would be my advice.
    Tonight I'm howlin' at a foreign moon, might as well be a junkie's spoon.

John Hiatt

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thank you all for your help. Thanks 1camper, that's all very reassuring. I too, have been playing around with the thought of using amstell for the tree tie outs or as an entire above tarp ridge line system. $300 is a lot, I was suprised when Joe from zpacks only told me $250 for the tarp with 12 tie out points and only $1.50 per extra tie out and only adding .1oz.

I feel like it would be a lot harder to justify spending the money if I had already spent $100-$175 on a tarp already. Especially when there are other items I need. So if I spend the $250 on my first tarp(besides the hennessy stock ones) that will do me for all seasons I won't feel so bad spending much less on a second tarp in the future. Plus I will already be as light as I can go with maintaining a comfortable sized tarp. My biggest concern was seeing my investment tron to shreds in some way.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    My biggest concern was seeing my investment tron to shreds in some way.
    just baby it, man.
    sounds like an awesome setup.

bring it over when it happens- i gotta SEE it covering up the black on black wbbb.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast