ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    Just go on Ebay.
    Do a search for Poncho Liner.
    you can usually get them under $20 w/ shipping, but you need to be patient to really luck into a good deal.
    Also lots of choices for patterns.
    I've got desert, german fleck, marpat and original Vietnam era jungle camo.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I think my poncho liner is lonely and needs a companion to keep it company
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    irt the OP. i would not carry this ever. i find that it is not worth the space and weight for the warmth it gives. to each his own

Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    I use the poncho liner as a TQ in late spring to early fall months. Lows maybe mid-50's but thats typically when I will want to add something more, possibly thermals or even a light fleece blanket. During summer months, its usually off to the side of me until its starts to get chilly then I'll cover up.

I will have to agree, they are very deceptive when it comes to warmth. I'd use it backpacking over a wool blanket any day. Car camping . . . it would be a toss up.
    O K, next time I come across one I'll buy it. Worst thing can happen is have another something I rarely use. Like that's never happened before. Thanks for the advice on the thinsulate ones, I'll get picky.

Guys, new to hammocking and trying to create(DIY) a few things. A question, could I take two PL and sandwich some lofting/insulating material between them and get some sort of a decent UQ? Being active Army I have several of these things lying around and am looking to create some gear. Any ideas?

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Everyone should have a poncho liner. I have one for winter camping, and I keep one in each car with a candle lantern just in case I break down where there isn't cell phone coverage.

When I was younger, I carried two ponchos and one liner, and my buddy did the same. Combined, we used two ponchos for a shelter, and made sleeping bags from the other ponchos and liners.

Hammock
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SandhillsSR View Post
    Guys, new to hammocking and trying to create(DIY) a few things. A question, could I take two PL and sandwich some lofting/insulating material between them and get some sort of a decent UQ? Being active Army I have several of these things lying around and am looking to create some gear. Any ideas?
    There are some threads about making an UQ out of the PL. Try searching for PLUQ, and there should be some diagrams and instructions. The PL is heavier than a good down UQ, but if you already have them it is cheaper than a down UQ!

A casualty blanket just outside the hammock as your innermost layer of insulation should help as well.

Hammock
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    irt the OP. i would not carry this ever. i find that it is not worth the space and weight for the warmth it gives. to each his own
    True, but it is far less expensive than a down quilt set. Down is lighter, warmer, more compressible, and far more expensive. Insulation is cheap if you don't mind the weight or bulk.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    Here's a couple of links to take a gander at:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=23881
    I did this, but used a poncho liner as my outer shell rather than just ripstop. Worked wonderfully and was comfortable down to the low teens. I still need to verify if I can go lower.

Or as mentioned above theres the PLUQ. This is the method I tried before:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...highlight=PLUQ
    This one works well for a 2-3 season (depending on who you talk to, it may be good down to the 40s). It's also very easy to make. This was my first UQ, then I cannibalized it for the above project so I could survive the winter campouts.

If your looking for 2-3 season (no colder than 40s), use the PLUQ. Just in case the temps dip a bit, use another PL as an overcover to extend your comfort level a bit.

If you need to go colder, use the IX UQ (with or without a PL as shell - either way it's a great design) and use a PL as an overcover. Or look into making a 'hammock sock' which essentially the same concept as using the PL as an overcover IMO.

As always do a test run where you can bail if needed. Keep in mind when someone says "using X, I went down to Y degrees", there's alot more to it than just X. E.g., sleeping w/ hot water bottles/hand warmers, types of layers, quality of bag or TQ etc.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but the PL doesn't give off warmth. It helps to retain warmth given off by the individual. Guessing that you might be what is considered as a cold-sleeper and a PL is not sufficient for you. I, on the other hand, am a hot-sleeper and I find that the PL is sufficient down to about 50*. PL can be folded and laid inside a pack and will compress well enough to become not so bulky.

But to each his own I suspect . . .
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast