Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Over or under, I 'spect it'll get used one way or another. No big desire to go out camping in the white stuff, though. Spring will be here......some day.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by ice man View Post
    Over or under, I 'spect it'll get used one way or another. No big desire to go out camping in the white stuff, though. Spring will be here......some day.
    Now that's were the Poncho Liner excels. . . in the WHITE STUFF! I use the PL as a Top Cover. Helps keep some humidity in the hammock so that you are not breathing dry cold air all night long. You do have to be careful of condensation and allow for some air flow into the hammock but with the PL as a TC I have noticed considerable temperature difference inside my hammock versus outside the hammock.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    Now that's were the Poncho Liner excels. . . in the WHITE STUFF! I use the PL as a Top Cover.
    Agreed. My poncho liner goes with me on every trip. Warmer months it acts as my TQ down to say the 50s before I need to supplement w/ my clothing a bit. Winter months, its used as an over cover. It gets tied off on each end of my hammock, draped over my ridgeline and tucked into my UQ. Adds some significant warmth IMO but will build up the condensation. Point is, you can't go wrong with bringing a poncho liner.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I agree that using a poncho liner as insulation can be deceptive. I've made several under quilts (PLUQ) and have had more success (used in colder temps) when I added a layer or two of extra insulation between the folder-over poncho liner.

Using the poncho liner as an over cover is a great idea, though.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Both TeeDee and I have one of Wiggy's poncho liners.

We use them as top quilts until it gets too cold - don't really have any temperature readings for "too cold", experience will tell you what it is.

At that point, the Wiggy's poncho becomes an over cover. Just toss over the structural ridge line and let it drape over the hammock edges. I think the poncho liners are 80" long which is just right for our 80" long Bridge Hammocks. TeeDee makes the hammock end panels so that they can be pulled up to the structural ridge line and close the ends of the over cover. Makes for a nice cozy bed. The poncho liner over cover provides a lot more insulation than a simple sheet of ripstop.

I have to warn you though - Wiggy's poncho liners are neither cheap nor light. We got them a year or two back when he had a clearance sale ($17 each) of the old style - which looks exactly like the current style without ties.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Like the other's here, I now use a poncho liner as an over the hammock ridgeline cover during the winter. It works fantasticly. This past weekend, temps dropped to 23/24 degrees at night and I slept toasty. On previous trips (before using the PL as a ridgeline cover), I've woke up in the morning with quite a bit of wetness (condensation) on the top of my quilt and on the netting of my hammock. With the poncho liner, I left a small opening at the head end and didn't notice any build-up of inside condesation. If there was any, my thinking is that the poncho liner may have absorbed it. Anyway, no condensation on my other gear or dripping off the skeeter netting (which is real annoying when it's really cold out). So far, I've only used the PL when car camping (not backpacking) and really like it as a ridgeline cover over my hammock. I too tuck the sides in between my UQ and hammock. And I use the PL's tie-outs to tie to the hammock (otherwise it just slips off during the night!!)

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have been using my trusty poncho liner for years long before I got in hammock camping. In the warner weather it is my only top blanket and when its cold it makes a great extra blanket for underneath or on top or bunched up around my head to keep it warm. Light weight, neat camo pattern, how can you go wrong.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Thanks, folks, you've talked me into one. but... I went in to the "big city" to the sporting goods/ surplus store last night and they had them for $30. Not from this tightwad! I seem to remember them going for around $20 at the last gun show, so its gonna hafta wait a while. Yeah, I will get one eventually, someplace. Thanks again for all your input.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Check out Sportsman Guide, I got two of them for around $38 shipped to my door. They are in the ACU digicam and very warm for their weight. Used one as a TQ down to the low 40's this fall and was very comfortable...............
    here are some links:
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=591952
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=372697
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    HH Expedition zip, WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    I got mine here, for 20, but I just noticed they uped their price to 25. I got it in 3 days.
    Barre Army Navy
    http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/categorie...oncho%20liners
    formally known as "carolb"
    Spread the love baby, Spread the Love!
    Get the Ketchup!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast