Good day boys and girls,

I hope, nobody feels that I'm abusing the forum for my question, but I feel there is a lot of local know-how here the owner of which I would kindly like to ask for advice.

As you can see from my background, I live in Germany. I'm currently planning a two weeks vacation trip for my family (wife, girl 13, boy 16, me) to the US in probably fall (Oct) of next year. The rough outline is to fly into Las Vegas, hire a camper there and then take the next about ten days for a road trip passing a couple of national parks along the road to end in San Francisco. There return the camper, decompress at a friends place there and fly back.

Now, I've done fairly much the same trip with my wife for our honeymoon, so I kind of know the area a little bid, but I'd still like to tap into everyone's knowledge:

Which "must sees" are there one the way? Any "avoid-at-all-costs"? Which route should we follow?
Any ideas on how to get a good deal on a camper for that period?

Now, I will quite logically be bringing my hammock and will be spending many a night in it on the trip, but I fully realize that this is not a hammock related question. Yet, I'd very much appreciate if some of you were to help me out with some ideas.

Thanks in advance for your input!