WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I've had that exact problem a number of times. It's normally (Thanks RamblinRev) a top-tension issue. i.e. Not enough...

Though needles appear to be sharp, buy new ones--made a big difference for me.

Also... when threading the bobbin in the carrier, the thread should feed opposite of what you'd think.

From: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...age=FaqEndPage

You normally don't have to mess with the lower tension, but I did in order to make it work.

With the bobbin in the carrier, suspend the assembly by the thread. It should hang still. A slight movement and it should release some thread. If you are going to play with that, tighten only 1/8th of a turn at a time. It's a sensitive adjustment.

I found that bar-tacks often cause bottom tangles, but going slow and raising the tension helps a lot. I bought a cheap pack of singer needles at Joannes, two orange, two blue and two purple coded. (red top for woven fabrics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewing_machine_needle

Orange: 11, Blue 14, Purple: 16.

I use the orange ones for all fabric sewing.

For making loops in straps, I use heavy-duty thread and #16 needles.

For grosgrain, if I'm having issues with bottom tangles on bartacks, I found the #14's to work well. (going slow helps)

Once the machine tangles, I pull ALL the thread out, remove the bobbin and start over. Sometimes I've found the machine will spin the main spool, causing a loop of thread to go under the spool and wrap around the shaft. That generally ends with broken thread... The bobbin can do the same thing...

Don't forget to get some good oil, and follow the instructions for lubrication. Here's the manual and machine settings guide, if you don't have them:
    http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...03enfrespt.pdf

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...125_qg03en.pdf

BTW: you have to pull one screw to lubricate most of the machine, and the sewing plate should be pulled and the feed dogs cleaned. It's not a great machine, but I've made LOTS of stuff with it. It's a bit temperamental, but for $35, I can put up with some quirks...

Hope this helps. If you need more help with that specific machine, PM me and we can talk in person. (though I'm NO expert at sewing... I just know my machine)

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I've had that exact problem a number of times. It's normally (Thanks RamblinRev) a top-tension issue. i.e. Not enough...

Though needles appear to be sharp, buy new ones--made a big difference for me.

Also... when threading the bobbin in the carrier, the thread should feed opposite of what you'd think.

From: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...age=FaqEndPage

You normally don't have to mess with the lower tension, but I did in order to make it work.

With the bobbin in the carrier, suspend the assembly by the thread. It should hang still. A slight movement and it should release some thread. If you are going to play with that, tighten only 1/8th of a turn at a time. It's a sensitive adjustment.

I found that bar-tacks often cause bottom tangles, but going slow and raising the tension helps a lot. I bought a cheap pack of singer needles at Joannes, two orange, two blue and two purple coded. (red top for woven fabrics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewing_machine_needle

Orange: 11, Blue 14, Purple: 16.

I use the orange ones for all fabric sewing.

For making loops in straps, I use heavy-duty thread and #16 needles.

For grosgrain, if I'm having issues with bottom tangles on bartacks, I found the #14's to work well. (going slow helps)

Once the machine tangles, I pull ALL the thread out, remove the bobbin and start over. Sometimes I've found the machine will spin the main spool, causing a loop of thread to go under the spool and wrap around the shaft. That generally ends with broken thread... The bobbin can do the same thing...

Don't forget to get some good oil, and follow the instructions for lubrication. Here's the manual and machine settings guide, if you don't have them:
    http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...03enfrespt.pdf

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...125_qg03en.pdf

BTW: you have to pull one screw to lubricate most of the machine, and the sewing plate should be pulled and the feed dogs cleaned. It's not a great machine, but I've made LOTS of stuff with it. It's a bit temperamental, but for $35, I can put up with some quirks...

Hope this helps. If you need more help with that specific machine, PM me and we can talk in person. (though I'm NO expert at sewing... I just know my machine)

John

Thanks for the tips! I definitely had the bobbin threaded wrong. After all this--I still can't get 12" without something going wrong. I'm going to wait for the new thread before attempting another inch. If that doesn't do it, I think I'm just going to get rid of the machine and try to find something else.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I know you can make that machine work... if I can, anybody can...

John

I know you can make that machine work... if I can, anybody can...

John
    Finally got some gutermann's thread to try. It definitely worked better--with some additional tension fiddling, and I was able to sew a few feet at a time between ****-ups. Enough to get me to the end of my 12' hammock project. I was going to mend a few things and make another stuff sack while I still had the machine out... Unfortunately, the little armature on the bobbin carrier broke off!. I imagine that the impending failure of that part was my problem all along. I think I'm just going to start looking for a more bullet-proof antique machine. Never care'd for Brother's printers either...

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Sorry to hear of your troubles.

And yes, Brother printers were absolute junk. If this thread injector weren't so cheap when I got it, I never would have bought it.

I am still kicking myself for giving away an old green Kenmore from the 70's we never used... 6 months later I found this site.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

And yes, Brother printers were absolute junk. If this thread injector weren't so cheap when I got it, I never would have bought it.

I am still kicking myself for giving away an old green Kenmore from the 70's we never used... 6 months later I found this site.
    Ha. Yeah. I remember finding what looked to be a US-Army portable sewing machine at a thrift store many years ago. I used to repair typewriters, so I was attracted to it solely on a mechanical level. It weighed a ton and had a cleverly integrated case. The entire thing was olive-drab. They wanted $24 for it--I thought that was a little much for a machine likely in need of service. I'm kicking myself now for sure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123