Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    corvallis, oregon

alright then-
    dynaglide it is

Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    This real world measurement would have seriously affected my choice for suspension (I was working with numbers which is not my strong suite). Maybe I missed a decimal in the conversions.

Looks like an excuse to shoot through an order for Dynaglide .

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the hh ultralite backpacker weighs 1 LBS 15oz but this is a 70d hammock, so i don't think that's what you mean, the explorer ultralight is even heavier.

their lightest hammock is the hyperlight at 1 LBS 10oz, but you have to be careful, if you read the fine print you will see that they provide complimentary tree straps, but since they are complimentary, they are not counted in the listed weight.

the equivalent blackbird (single1.1BB) with line/strap suspension and asym diamond tarp weighs 1 LBS 11.5oz, but keep in mind that's "with" the tree straps. compare apples to apples and remove the straps from the weight and you have 1 LBS 8.25oz, so by the numbers that warbonnet setup would be lighter than anything avail from HH.

you mentioned the traveler, from my calcs. single 1.1 traveler plus travel net plus asym diamond tarp is the exact same weight (1 LBS 11.5oz)
    My mistake, I meant to say the Hyperlight and not the Ultralight.

I appreciate you deciphering the fine print and pointing out the real world weight differences, thank you warbonnetguy. WBBB single layer to the top of the heap assuming the WB suspension line ( low stretch single braid dyneem) is not a feather in comparison to the HH suspension line.
    Last edited by team FTB; 12-14-2010 at 01:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Why not use a UCR? Weigh less than a whoopie and still no knots.
    Hello Redoleary. Tons of people love the Whoopies and UCR suspensions which is great for them. However I've have never had an issue or a desire to improve (other than weight and packability) my simple cord w/a clove hitch knot on a mini biner as I can set-up my hammock inside two minutes once the tree straps are fastened on the trees.

An issue I see confounding my idea is that of easily releasable knots that will not slip on the small diameter Amsteel and Dyna Glide cord. So if I wanted to tie a simple, easily releasable knot with Amsteel and Dyna Glide would my traditional Slipped Clove hitch work with this diameter cord? If not, what knot would you recommend?

If a knot won't work on these small diameter options then i will take a harder look at the Whoopies and UCR systems.

Billings, MT
    Goose bumps
    Bat Feet
    I'm a noob to hanging, but have some knot skills from sailing, rafting and camping. My favorite quick release knot has been a bowline on a bight. Is there a problem with this knot being used on the very small diameter lines discussed here?

Ontario, Canada
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    WB Superfly
    WB and UGQ
    Whoopies or Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by team FTB View Post
    ... So if I wanted to tie a simple, easily releasable knot with Amsteel and Dyna Glide would my traditional Slipped Clove hitch work with this diameter cord? If not, what knot would you recommend?

Try a slipped buntline hitch. When you put it on the biner realy push it against the binner. The slipped end makes it east to pull apart and its pretty solid. Warbonnetguy uses it in his demo of setting up a BB.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    7/64 amsteel is plenty strong (even if knots are used) tying amsteel directly to your straps is workable, but will wear through the strap eventually. for this setup use a slipped double sheetbend, lighter users may get away with a slipped single sheetbend.

if you get tree straps with hardware in the end (like a small welded d ring) that will add about 1/2 oz total to your straps, but you don't have to worry about the line wearing through the strap over time. if tying to a ring, use a slipped buntline hitch.

a clove hitch may work, but you'll want to make it slipped as it will tighten down and be very difficult to untie otherwise. slipped sheetbend is very similar to a slipped clove, and more useful imo.
    see above post

Warbonnetguy and Odds - Thank you for the clarification on what knots should function with the small diameter Amsteel.

My new suspension shall just be some Amsteel on each end of the hammock end and tied to something like a Dutch Biner to the tree strap. Now off to see how much weight and space I can save using Amsteel instead of the 1" flat webbing for the tree straps. I will be using trail sticks to protect the tree bark.