Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    What is the tripod metal things coming off the fire pit???
    I believe what you are referring to is a lid lifter for the Dutch Oven (DO). I need me one of those DO lid lifters. Looks to be a diy lid lifter.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Looked like a really good time amongst hammock forum friends

Images
    Very cool!!

Images
    Love the group shot.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by otter46544 View Post
    I believe what you are referring to is a lid lifter for the Dutch Oven (DO). I need me one of those DO lid lifters. Looks to be a diy lid lifter.
    Most places that sell dutch oven supplies will have the lid lifters, but that one looks really heavy duty. You may be right about it being DIY. They work great and keep your hands away from the heat.
    Looks like everybody had a great time, and ate some yummy DO vittles.
    KJ
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 12-12-2010 at 22:12. Reason: xx

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

D.O. lid lifter

Some years ago, I ran into a guy showing off a lid lifter like this. I knew a guy who had a welding business, and he did this one for me as a favor.

This one is similar from Amazon for $15.

The real advantage is that since it locks the lid with the grip, you can do anything you like with the lid--it doesn't just hang from a hook.

I love his one!
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I wish I could have came. Looks like you guys had fun. I love the south!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    To all of the members who came out to the HOD Hang I want to say thank you. It was great to meet all of the members and be able to put faces with members. We will be doing this again in the Spring so look for the announcements in the early part of next year!!!!!!.

To all of the concerned forum members I am proud to report that we all survived the weather, all of the gear worked to keep us warm and dry and the food and fellowship was second to none.

MandyDawn and myself arrived at the parking area to find two others members had already arrived. In one of the vehicles was a HF sign, thank you Tightwad, to announce to other members they had arrived at the right spot for parking. We walked into Turnipseed camp with aboyd to find our campsite. Since the Camp was closed for the season we walked through the camp on towards the creek that forms the boundry of the Cheaha Wilderness and the Talladega National Forest. At the creek we found a fire ring that was only 10 paces from the creek and a group of trees that could not have been planted or planned better for a hanging spot. Camp was set-up by all of us and firewood collected for the pit. We made several trips to the parking area to meet with the folks that were arriving during the night.

Dinner this night was a make your own meal and once this was done we settled around the fire and started the usual campfire tales. As the night progressed the temps dropped and I was happy to play the role of fire tender til around 11 pm, then it was pretty much lights out for everyone.

Saturday morning was a wake up to cooler temps and a great Lumberjacks breakfast prepared for us by Buffalo Skipper in one of his Dutch Ovens (the object on top of the DO in Leeinmemphis photo is a DIY lidlifter). After breakfast we said our goodbyes to Tightwad who had family obligations to attend to. We then preceded to walk from our campsite to Cheaha Shelter on the Chinnabee Silent Trail. It was a nice walk for all of us and a we all got to witness something that all of had taken for granted. When we arrived at a Cheaha Creek just below the shelter we found it to be iced over in one spot, this was the first time that Smarticle had seen ice on water. As all boys will do there was a look of fascination on his face and then the enevitable had to happen.......a rock was thrown in to see if it would break it. It was nice to be young again for a few minutes. At the shelter we all pulled out our phones to call loved ones and to get several weather reports for the evening. Once we arrived back to camp it was more wood gathering, checking tarp tension and UQ fit and then dinner was prepared. We were treated to a wonderful lamb stew and vegatable medly prepared by Buffalo Skipper, Conecah sausage brought in by aboyd, deer sausage and corn on the cob by Mandydawn and myself and a wonderful bottle of microbrew supplied by bdbart. After dinner we were all full and ready for bed and most of were in the hammock by 8:30 pm...............

Sunday was a wake up to cold weather, ice on the tarps and sleet/flurries in the air. We all broke camp said our goodbyes and headed for the house.............Once again, we want to thank all of the members that came out from all over the Southeast (AL, MS, TN, FL) to see this part of Alabama. We hope everyone had a wonderful time and hope to see you again at the next HOD Hang.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I would have come too if they'd chose my off week....same with the mt.rogers hang and several others....the odds are just too uncanny, i think its a plot against me...so what to do-hang by myself!

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I like the group photo also, but if you guys in the back had scrunched down, we could see the group shot of your hammocks also!
    KM (who is teasing- it is a fine picture..)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast