Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images

Lightbulb Electric Sheep Wool

I've searched this forum and have not found any home-hanger that has thought of or tried using an electric blanket as a UQ or TQ in the home or near a permanent fixture with electric.

Its worth a shot...well...not in the rain at least.

Thoughts anyone? http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/beda...tric+Throw.jsp this is just something i found while cruising the internet. Looks promising.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've never used an electric blanket in any capacity, but the one thing I would be worried about is how the heating elements are dispersed in the blanket, because that would affect the mods you can make on it.
    Be like Bob

Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by JCINMA View Post
    ...how the heating elements are dispersed in the blanket...
    Well it looks like they may not be worth the trouble for a UQ, with all the hanging and sewing requirements.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHangingTechy View Post
    Well it looks like they may not be worth the trouble for a UQ, with all the hanging and sewing requirements.
    It depends. It could be as simple as sewing tabs in the corners and running shock cord through.
    Be like Bob

take a look at seed bed heaters - several DIY ideas that would probably work for hammocks - for example a 12 foot light rope from Walmart works nicely as a seed bed heater

Hammock
    Tinker T-7 / ENO DN / WBBB
    Tarp
    Winters Dream v2
    Insulation
    JRB HR / Jarbidge
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    In my bedroom setup I use an electric throw in conjunction with a Marlboro sleeping bag that is zipped about 1/3 of the way shut as a top quilt. My wife sewed the control end into a footbox and it is tucked into the footbox of the bag. About a 1/2 hour before bed I turn it on and when I get into the hammock my covers are nice and toasty. I have a homemade underquilt from 5oz climashield that I use for the bottom. I have used this setup for 2 winters now and am quite pleased with it. I did have to cut a hole in the bottom of the bag for the control wires. I can not adjust or shutoff the electric throw from the hammock but it has not been a problem, just vent if needed. The reason for running the control wire out the bottom was so it would not be in my face or arm area during sleep. I can take pictures of the setup if you are interested but it is pretty simple.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Rings/straps
    Images
    I have never used one in a hammock but have used them sleeping in the truck and while using a tent in winter. It's nice to crawl into a prewarmed sleeping bag.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    There have been electric jackets, vests, chaps & socks for awhile available in the motorcycle community. Some have thermostat controls. Just hook it up to a battery. You could do that without having to modify your quilts

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Electric sheep? I don't think I wanna know...in fact, I'm sure I don't.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Back in my ground-dwelling days, I went on a large group camping trip at a commercial campground with some friends. At the time I was using a bugnet bivy with a hardware-store tarp, great for ventilation, not so good for cold weather. I only had a cheap, old 45 degree bag and a cheap fleece liner bag... it got down to about 32 and I froze the first night.

Asked a buddy how he made out, he says "oh man I sweated all night, had to lay on top of my sleeping bag". Huh? Then I saw the electrical cord going to his tent... sonofabich!

So I drove over to Cabelas which was reasonably nearby and bought a Eureka Casper 15 bag (now on sale!) for the second night, which started my love affair with said bag. I've used that thing all over the place, almost all of it in hammocks.

The suggestion of using electric heated motorcycle clothing is a pretty good one. I used to use an electric vest from Widder while riding motorcycles... people would look at me like I was nuts from inside their mini-vans as I rode in temperatures in the 20's and a few times even in the teens... how could they know I was about as comfortable as they were? Add heat to your torso, and your whole body stays warm.... Widder sells arm chaps, leg chaps, and heated gloves but I never felt I needed them. I'd just want a backup plan in case the vest failed during the night... of course this would only be useful for at-home or car camping where an outlet was within reach, so I guess the backup plan is built-in!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast