Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing

Mild Case of CBS

Just finished a cold weather test in my back yard. Temp dropped to 30, but winds were consistently 20 to 30 mph (forecast says gusts up to 40 mph). My tarp (MacCat Ultra) was set up perpendicular to the wind, and I had my new Grizz Beak on one end. I did have a space under the tarp (about a foot), so some wind did come through but it didn't see that bad.

I was using my 3 season incubator, and was warm for the most part, but did sense a little CBS and cold feet at times. I just got a UC but didn't use it as I was a little worried about condensation (had recently read the post on this being an issue sometimes with a sil nylon UC). I was using a 20 to 30 degree mummy bag as a TQ, but ultimately ended up in side it and also another 50 degree bag. That solved the problem for the most part, but jockeying 2 bags in a hammock can become work really fast.

I know that I need to add some shock cord to keep the UQ from sagging/slipping, but does anyone have other suggestions? With the kind of wind I had, should I have been using the UC?

Trying to get the bugs worked out before going to BSA Winter Camp. The low last year got down to about 12 degrees, so I know that it can get cold. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Images
    Experiment by adding a space blanket between your hammock and UQ. Just read up on that ( search vapor barrier or space blanket) and make sure you know what you are doing so that you don't cause any condensation in the hammock. Main thing: keep the SB/VB on the warm side. That should get you 10 or 15*F. Then, if you get the inner VB/SB working right. feel free to add your UC for wind and rain resistance.

Find a way to run the UQ suspension up to a mitten hook or S biner on the ridgeline on it's way to the end knots of the hammock. That can be a big help for end seal and overall snug fit. Oh, and make sure the UQ is tight enough. Feel under neath and make sure there are no gaps.

Have another small piece of walmart blue pad with you to place where needed.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks for the info. I'll give this a try.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing

Test #2

Supposed to have a low of 28 degrees tonight, so I'm trying again. Got the incubator hooked into the ridgeline to keep it up in the middle, and have the space blanket between the UQ and hammock.

Hoping that I won't have a case of soggy CBS.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Luck too you and the buttocks tonight!
    You'll get it.....just might take a couple more tests.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLazy View Post
    Supposed to have a low of 28 degrees tonight, so I'm trying again. Got the incubator hooked into the ridgeline to keep it up in the middle, and have the space blanket between the UQ and hammock.

Hoping that I won't have a case of soggy CBS.
    Me too! Hope you are belong to the group a sp.bl. works for and keeps you both warm AND dry with no condensation. Always works for me but not every body.

When I use my WB torso UQ on my net free HH, I am able to run the (usually just left side) suspension up through one of the HH RL mitten hooks. That works like a charm, making it easier to keep things snugged up and keeps the quilt from moving off of my left shoulder as it has a tendency to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I think that a cover under the hammock would be most efficient on windy days. It would keep the wind from robbing the heat in the down UQ. (Don't have it touching the UQ).

The space blanket, if used as a vapor barrier is most efficient at temps around zero, not 30*.
    I agree that a cover would be big help with the wind chill. That's one of the things I love about the HH SS UC.

But at least when using the s.blanket with the HHSS, I find it to be a big help even in the high 40s. Primarily by keeping condensation out of the OCF pad and UC.

But also, I can always quickly tell a big dif in warmth when I add the sb, whether it is 25 or 40. But that is in a HHSS. Maybe that would be more the radiant qualities than the VB qualities? Can't say for sure if it would be that noticeable with an Incubator.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-18-2010 at 22:12.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing

Won't be singing "Constant Sorrow" with the Soggy Bottom Boys!!!

Success. The temp dropped to 27 as expected, UQ snugged up with shock cord in the middle to the ridgeline, and a cheap space blanket between the UQ and the hammock. Was warm all night, and had no condensation as far as I could tell (nothing was damp).

Thanks for the tips all. I'm looking forward to the big test at Kia Kima Scout Reserve on the edge of the Ozark Mountains in Arkansaw just after Christmas.

Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    a good thing to consider is also don't get TOO warm- cozy is good, roasting is bad- your system will start dumping moisture to try and cool you...
    KM (who has woken up sweaty of a morning- not the best solution, esp outside)

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I think that a cover under the hammock would be most efficient on windy days. It would keep the wind from robbing the heat in the down UQ. (Don't have it touching the UQ).

The space blanket, if used as a vapor barrier is most efficient at temps around zero, not 30*.

• + New Posts