JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Child View Post
    I have always believed that the lofting strength of any down depended on two things....how long and how tightly compresseed the bag or quilt was stored, and the degree of cleanliness of the down inside the chambers ( by this I am referring to the dirt and accumulated body oils that are transferred from the sleepers skin or clothing into the down through the fabric.

And as a result I have always tried to store my bags and quilts by hanging them up in my closet uncompressed and attempting to keep them as clean as possible. YMMV/HYOH
    What you wrote is true regardless of the fill power used to make the quilt.

So whether you have a "600 quilt" or a "900 quilt", keep them clean of dirt, sweat and oil and store them uncompressed.

It also helps to store them in a dry location, so under your bed is probably better then a damp basement.
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Follow on question: is it better to hang them in a closet, park them (by ones or two's) in a tub, or put into giant cotton stuff sack? my SBs are currently living in the bedroom, but in giant stuff sacks I made out of some sturdy linen- (with a pattern that I cannot use for clothing..got a great deal, tho'!) mostly because my closets are all full of clothing and shoes and ..umm.. closet stuff.
    KM(who is seriously going to clean up her act one of these days..too many hobbies, too little time.)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Been thinking about the same question for a while now, it seems like I've got the basic jist of it now which is good. Winter Incubator on its way soon me thinks

Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    Follow on question: is it better to hang them in a closet, park them (by ones or two's) in a tub, or put into giant cotton stuff sack? my SBs are currently living in the bedroom, but in giant stuff sacks I made out of some sturdy linen- (with a pattern that I cannot use for clothing..got a great deal, tho'!) mostly because my closets are all full of clothing and shoes and ..umm.. closet stuff.
    KM(who is seriously going to clean up her act one of these days..too many hobbies, too little time.)
    I have to put mine in the big cotton bags too as our wardrobes are rammed with clothes (mostly mine too )
    I think it's better to hang if you've got the space purely because in a large cotton bag there's always going to be areas that are folded and compressed no matter what you do. Hanging freely would eliminate this but I suppose the down might migrate a touch over time, nothing a good shake won't sort though.

Just my humble thoughts, it'll be interesting to hear what others think

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    As long as the bag has enough volume so that the quilt or bag isn't compressed than I think you are ok.

BTW High end sleeping bags come with large cotton storage bags

I have mine folded over once and under the bed.
    Love my JRB BMB

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12