Curved end seams for tighter edges??!!

I searched and searched but i can`t find anything on how to sew a curved hem at the ends for the suspension rope, to achieve a tighter wall. I followed the directions but my gathered end hammock has these floppy walls and i feel like i am going to fall out!

why do other people`s hammocks look so darn good? what did i do wrong to get my walls so sloppy?

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    I am thinking the same thing that
    if the ends had a slight curve cut and sewn into it
    so that the center length was about one inch longer than the both edges,
    the hang would have tighter sides and a bellier middle.

Only problem is the cut would have to be opposite making it counter-intuative.
    but then the seam would be curved but the fold would still be straight . . . ?

So the cut end would then need to be straight
    and pinned at a curve,
    then sewn giving the end a curved fold ? ? ?

I think
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You could turn that floppy edge at the foot end into an advantage by sewing a triangle onto it - sort of a WBB footbox clone. Dimensions of the triangle might be 19" x 19" x 28" or thereabouts, + or - 10" for each. In other words, get in your hammock and measure. The bottom corner of the triangle is where your heels are.

A different fix is to turn the floppy edge over to make a channel that's half the length of the hammock (from the foot end to the middle on the foot (right) side. Put a drawcord that's mostly cord with a 15" section of 1/8" bungee. Put a cordlock toggle on the end of the cord that sticks out at the middle of the hammock so you can fine-tune the tension. The bungee is strong enough to hold the edge up (it is mostly your top quilt that's in danger of sliding over the edge, not you), and when you sit sideways it stretches so the edge doesn't cut into the backs of your knees. Do the same thing on the left side so you can adjust the tension under your head. This is easy to incorporate in a double-layer hammock like the Z-hammock, but should work with a single-layer, too.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I sometimes add a right triangle to one side, creating a footbox like WV describes. You can't use this technique on both sides since you need one plain side to enter and exit (footbox stitching isn't up to the strain). I like WV's 15" section of bungee idea if you want to tension both sides.

Have yet to try cutting and sewing the fabric so ends are curved. Should be doable and should produce a hammock edge that can withstand the strain of sitting over the side.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear

Trade Off

If you get the sides "high and tight", sitting comfort will be impacted, and exiting the hammock will be somewhat more difficult. Be careful what you wish for...

I likw WV's bungee solution.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I'm with old gringo.

High sides / tight walls make the hammock sleep like a banana. For me, floppy sides allow for a more diagonal lay => flatter lay.

I think that is one reason so many people like the ENO DN. It's xtra width really allow you lay on a good diagonal.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Toss a couple webbing loops on the edges in appropriate spots and use some shock cord to pull the edges out - in whatever shape you want. That'll keep the floppy edges out of your face, but also allow the nicer asym lay that the floppy edges allow for.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

awesome!!

wow thanks guys!! So many ideas!!

I might try the bungee idea. Last night I was messing around with it, and I decided to just pull the end pieces up a bit, then whip.

Worked!

I folded the hammock in half, then starting from the closed side (the middle of the hammock) I folded like an accordian in 1 inch folds. then I took and shifted the folded mass away from center a bit. I think that less is better, and the walls wind up being a tiny bit floppy, but lots of space is left for the body.

Also, if I separate the fist 8 folds by, say, 3mm, and then progressively increase the distance as I get to the edge folds, it seems to work real nice.

And the best thing is, if I get it wrong, I can just unwhip, refold, rewhip, and hang it again! ( I got it wrong the first 3 times)

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Toss a couple webbing loops on the edges in appropriate spots and use some shock cord to pull the edges out - in whatever shape you want. That'll keep the floppy edges out of your face, but also allow the nicer asym lay that the floppy edges allow for.
    Thanks, Scott. I forgot to mention that I often use tie-outs, as well. I either attach them to the corners of my asym tarp or stake them separately (or tie to vegetation). You can also use trekking poles to prop them up and push outward. Plant the tip of the pole in the ground under the end of the hammock. Hammocks with the triangle panels or bungees may not need tie-outs. Mix and match various remedies to achieve a comfortable lie with a simple set-up (our perennial goal ).

• + New Posts