Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    I have been very much involved in LNT. I am a LNT Trainer earning my certificate several years ago. I have been involved with our local Boy Scout council and we have a Master Educator in our council. We have held 2 Train the trainer sessions and a third one scheduled early next year. I always sleep in my hammock and educate all who are intrigued about it.Some of the questions are about hurting trees and I explain the steps I take to help avoid damage to the bark. It is my preferred choice of camping and I have to say, when I leave a site, I see really no sign of me being there after a little fluffing of the leaves/needles of where I was. I have taught some awareness trainings to troops as well as the three day weekend training. I have to say the program the Boy scouts have put together is top notch. A lot of info covered. It was designed to train the boy who holds the position of LNT Troop Trainer. After some of the trainer weekends, I have gotten calls on hammock info. I guess I have converted a few. In Florida State Parks, hanging anything from trees is banned. It would be good for LNT to do more promotion of hammock camping if some training about properly hanging a hammock was provided.

Images
    I would love to learn more about LNT.
    Although I have never had any kind of formal training on this subject I try to practice LNT on every outing. Walking the site just before leaving to see that it looks just like it did when I arrived.

I also refrain from tying to any live skin type trees (Aspen, Birch, Spruce etc) Although I have no facts to back this statement I believe ropes and straps can damage the tree but you might not see the damage for a year or more.

On a second note, Just this year I started packing everything out. In other words I no longer take a potty shovel, :-0 I use theses.
    http://safetycentral.com/re2wiwacopo.html

Hope to learn more. Maybe you could post an LNT tip of the week?
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-14-2010 at 12:44. Reason: bad speller poor sentence structure sorry

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock-NX 250
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps, cinch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Do they drink the gray water? hahahaha

My boys do. Human sumping at its finest.
    "Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime” Rupert Pupkin

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I migrated from wild camping to being a "bushcrafter" around twelve years ago, I'm strictly leave no trace now. In fact our little posse even goes as far as tidying up after all the other scrotes who've been before us.

Having the respect for land we enjoy is what it's all about for me, living on a small island like we do, our popular spots soon get out of control.

Got me a LNT beanie a few years ago too And I sport a LNT sticker on my canoe
    Last edited by Shewie; 12-14-2010 at 13:12.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock-NX 250
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps, cinch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I would love to learn more about LNT.
    http://www.lnt.org/
    The LNT Center's web page is a great source for Leave No Trace info.
    "Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime” Rupert Pupkin

I think there are times and places where LNT is important and then there are times and places where it is not so much so. I pay a lot of attention to trash left by people but worry less about a little tree bark scuffing.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I dunno about carrying everything out. A lot of animals dig holes. A lot of animals potty on the ground. I do not see digging a potty hole as that unnatural. What do other forum members think about this? I am curious.

I practiced LNT many years ago when I used to 4X4 camp. A friend and I always made it a practice to carry not only our own refuse out, but we always picked up what we could after others. It felt good and made the campsites more enjoyable.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I look at it as a guide, not a set of 'rules'. I try to incorporate as much LNT into my time in the woods as I can, but I don't let it dictate the experience I have in the woods. I'm fairly sensitive to the 'impact of man' from spending so much time diving on reefs and studying the ecosystems; it really doesn't take much to cause a lot of long-term harm. So yeah, LNT is important to me. Am I going to drink the gray water; oh heck no! But, I do think about things before I do them and LNT helps keep me on the right track.

Like everything else in this world, it's all about balance IMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Eno Double / GT Nano
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    I think there are times and places where LNT is important and then there are times and places where it is not so much so. I pay a lot of attention to trash left by people but worry less about a little tree bark scuffing.
    I have to agree 110% I am all for not leaving any trash and also picking any trash left by others. But this is a ecosystem that is designed to deal with waste... human or animal. And worrying about the tree bark is a little over kill. Dont get me wrong each to there own but sometimes I think things get taken too far.

Hammock
    Eno Double / GT Nano
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adkmcmahon View Post
    My boys do. Human sumping at its finest.
    REALLY? wow

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast