Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    [QUOTE=Alamosa;369540]I sure hate the idea of having to carry "everything" out, but have to admit there are probably times when it is reasonable and necessary. The big difference between people and most animals that are part of nature is that we tend to congregate and re-use the same area more.
    I have seen carry out situations for river treks where people re-use the same stopping points over and over. It will probably become the norm in many national park and forest service back country sites that see heavy use.

All permitted rivers in the Western US require solid waste to be carried out. We have to have water tight, cleanable toilet systems, and the river rangers are quite stringent about checking each group for the proper set-up. Most Western rivers also require the use of firepans for wood or charcoal fires, and all ashes must be carried out along with our trash. I can't imagine the impact on the river corridors & camps if these rules weren't in place. As a new hammock hanger, I'll have to start adding tree protection, and hammock site selection into my river etiquette.
    KJ

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock-NX 250
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps, cinch bkls
    This is one of the nice things about the Forum. I get a glimpse at what other people are doing in areas I don't frequent.
    "Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime” Rupert Pupkin

Hammock
    Bigred's custom
    Tarp
    Bigred's custom
    Insulation
    Bigred's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch/Web
    Images
    LNT

Hammock camping
    Bigred

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Since we started this site, I can't remember anyone flaunting LNT principles. I think nearly all of us are aware of it and practice it to varying degrees.

We've discussed the need for scientific studies several times to pinpoint the impact, or lack of impact, of hammocks on the environment...especially compared to tents/tarps and the effect of hanging from trees. Pretty detailed discussions in the archives re: the difference between huggers of different sizes, hollow core braided rope that flattens out under stress, etc.

But we're all pretty much on board with it. It's one of the few things that could be considered an "agenda" that the mod staff agrees should be official policy here. In principle, at least...not as militant as some folks get about it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    First off, I'm on board with LNT principles, and I've been practicing them for years.

But I gotta say, and this may be a hangover from my being a linguistics prof, "Leave NO Trace"????? No living creature leaves NO trace, no matter how big or small. If I gently walk into the wilderness in soft moccasins, and walk right back out, I've still left a trace in my foot prints, in compressing the ground where I walked, in burning the oxygen I breathed (let alone the gas my car burned getting there, etc.).

Would it be so horrible if we called it what it actually is: Minimal Wilderness Impact?

Okay, geeky word choice rant off!

And I delight in the fact that hammocking leaves much less impact than tenting!

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock-NX 250
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps, cinch bkls
    [QUOTE=grampa;369732]Would it be so horrible if we called it what it actually is: Minimal Wilderness Impact?
    QUOTE]

Then what would I do with all my LNT T-shirts?
    "Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime” Rupert Pupkin

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234