Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Dedicated motorcycle one-tree hang setup

Good morning HF'ers! I haven't been here much at all lately. And I haven't gotten much hanging in, either... but that changes this summer, as I'm planning to do the NEBDR with a small group of riders, and I'm starting to think about the worst-case hanging scenario... which is likely that I'll only be able to find one tree. Chances are, I'll always be able to find two... but it comes down to being able to hang where I want to versus hanging where I can.

I've built a few DIY tensahedron/collapsahedron stands. For this setup, I'm considering using a single pole like the Tensa Solo, but mounting on my bike for 1) stability, and 2) size. With my bike on the center stand, I should be able to apply a lot of tension to the back of the bike without any worries. And, if I mount the pole where I'd like to, I only need an extended length of 3'... which could get me down to 18" or less collapsed.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Here's the back of my bike. The rear luggage plate is very solid with a 1-1/4" hole in the middle (under the green dot). The height of the plate is around 4'. I'd like to hang at between 6'-7', with another 6" or so above for a tarp ridgeline. With the right hardware, I should be able to fit a pole into that hole and guy it either to the engine guards at the red dots (if I can prevent them from sliding inwards) or somewhere ahead of the bike. I think once I have the pole sorted out, I can figure out the anchors.

I will be shopping for a strong fiberglass painting pole in the 2' - 4' range. I used Wooster brand for my earlier stands, and if I can find one cheap I will give it a shot. I thought I'd post up here in case anyone has done anything like this before.

EDIT: It looks like the Wooster pole is 1-1/2" in diameter. I'll need something slimmer but just as strong.

EDIT 2: Oooohhh... I have a Double Dutch spreader bar that breaks down into two pieces; the small fittings on either end would fit into one of the center holes on that luggage plate, and I could use Dutch hardware to guy it. Would that work? If I could get away with doing this without buying anything...
    Last edited by Snaps; 04-11-2024 at 07:44.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Oh my... is this idiotic, or ingenious? I can't tell anymore.

This pole will definitely stay put in the luggage plate. Now... am I asking way too much of it?

The webbing and buckle are straight out of my Double Dutch suspension kit. All I need is some amsteel guy lines. I may try this out when the weather dries up... or sooner, if I want to anchor my 'tree' end in the garage.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    All the Dutchware!
    I can't see the bike picture, but I think I understand.
    Is the pole going into the luggage rack sticking straight up or at an angle? The Tensa solo sits at an angle so some of the force from the hammock is transferred into the compressive direction. If the pole is straight up, there is too much force on the guy lines unless they are attached to something that will not move. It might work. Only one way to find out, right
    You could create quite a projectile if things don't work, with the pole flying toward the hammock or toward the front of the bike depending on the failure.

Edit: I have considered using my bike as a place to hang the hammock from in a pinch, but haven't been brave enough to experiment with it yet...
    Make sure you record some video while you are trying it out

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I'm sure you'll test it carefully. That pole looks pretty small in diameter with a narrow "lock" for the down pressure. You mentioned the Tensa Solo. Note they are made of much stronger and larger diameter aluminum with a pin lock on the collapsing sections.

A possible downside is you'd have to take the setup down when you want to use your bike. The Tensa pole itself collapses pretty small, and your bike will remain independent. DIY projects are great and I'm first to admit, "I'm not one of those guys" (Six Days and Seven Nights movie reference). But I'm a little concerned about the stress capacity of that pole.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by draco_1967 View Post
    Is the pole going into the luggage rack sticking straight up or at an angle?
    I think the best way to do this is with the guy 'lines' adjusted so that the pole is straight up. I say 'lines' because I've been fooling with it and it looks like my 15' poly webbing is what I'll try first. That'll leave the Beetle Buckle 'hooks' open to connect my foot-end CL.
    Quote Originally Posted by draco_1967 View Post
    Make sure you record some video while you are trying it out
    Ohhhh no... I've folded up enough DIY stands during testing to know not to document my failures in real time!
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I'm sure you'll test it carefully. That pole looks pretty small in diameter with a narrow "lock" for the down pressure.
    Absolutely. This is a 0.582" diameter spreader bar from Dutchwaregear with a stated capacity of 350 lbs; but that's when used to span the suspension horizontally. Dutch used to have a .748 dia spreader bar that didn't have an official weight rating and I've inquired on his site about that. A possible alternative is the DAC 32" Spreader bar, 16.8mm (0.661"), which claims a weight limit of 400 lbs. Or, some other clever idea from someone that hasn't posted yet!
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    A possible downside is you'd have to take the setup down when you want to use your bike.
    That's 100% a downside. But this solution, if it works, will weigh grams, not pounds, and will take up very little room in my luggage. On this trip especially, I doubt I'll be riding much after setting up for sleeping.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet flies
    Insulation
    UQ WB Wookie
    Suspension
    web buckles
    I motorcycle camp and always have tensa trekking treez with me

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Snaps, I'm not able to see your pictures, but from what you describe I think it might work. I motorcycle camp a lot, and typically just use the full Tensa4 setup. I have however needed to just use my bike and one tree a few times. If you can find it, I posted a few pictures in the "One Tree Hang" thread (I think that's what it was called?) of a re-creation I did in my backyard.

I have for sure used my bike as an anchor point for the full Tensa4 stand, and that works really well. My only concern for you would be the weight of your bike, and whether you feel comfortable with the stability of your bike and your pole setup. If it works, then keep on truckin' good buddy.

EDIT: here is a link to that One Tree Hangs thread. Lots of interesting and cool setups in there, that might give you a few ideas.

One Tree Hangs

Images
    Consider the application of that spreader bar. It's purpose is to separate two hammocks whose suspension is already taken care of, so the longitudinal compression along the length can be envisioned as an arrow, made of thin DAC aluminum. You could probably load it up to 300 lbs as long as the weights are at the end of the arrow shaft and the shaft is vertical. Compression occurs along the axis straight down.

Now, would it be feasible to drive that arrow shaft into a hole drilled into concrete, and then use it to hang a hammock? Not really.

Do yourself a favor and get some Schedule 40 Aluminum 6061 T6 pipe of the appropriate length. 1-inch pipe is 1.315-inch outer diameter, and 0.581 lbs per foot in weight. You will have to drill and tap completely through the pipe to ensure that the threads have enough grip to hold.

If you use a hacksaw, you can cut the correct angle, then drill, tap, and buy a 5/8-11 Shoulder bolt to secure the pole from underneath the luggage plate.

Here is an image from one of the projects I am completing, so instead of a 90-degree cut, just cut it at the same angle as your image shows. You can cut it in two pieces, and use SST All-thread to join the two sections.

IMG_0272[1].JPG
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 04-11-2024 at 17:30.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket or whoopie
    It seems like you have it positioned in opposite direction, but perhaps I'm confused. I can't imagine that spreader bar working for you if it isn't being pulled almost directly along its axis, "straight down" so to speak. So wouldn't the angle have to be about 30-deg from ground (perhaps 33 to 35) towards front of bike and you hang off the back?
    If your anchors are reliable (using engine guards or just regular guylines/stakes out in front of bike) then maybe it'll work. It just seems so delicate, with so many potentials for failure hanging in the balance. But far from theoretically impossible. Wear a helmet when you are testing it out just to be safe if you end up trying it in your garage. Don't want you to risk that trip - sounds like one to remember!

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    If you can find it, I posted a few pictures in the "One Tree Hang" thread (I think that's what it was called?) of a re-creation I did in my backyard...One Tree Hangs
    That's where I started! I thought I'd see if anyone had done something like what I had in mind. I didn't see anything... maybe for good reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    Consider the application of that spreader bar. It's purpose is to separate two hammocks whose suspension is already taken care of, so the longitudinal compression along the length can be envisioned as an arrow, made of thin DAC aluminum. You could probably load it up to 300 lbs as long as the weights are at the end of the arrow shaft and the shaft is vertical. Compression occurs along the axis straight down.
    Yes, exactly, as considered in my last post above. The weight ratings of the spreader bars are applicable when they're used as, surprise, spreader bars. I don't know how much more compression I'll be putting that bar through by turning it vertically and securing it as a pole... probably a lot.
    Do yourself a favor and get some Schedule 40 Aluminum 6061 T6 pipe of the appropriate length. 1-inch pipe is 1.315-inch outer diameter, and 0.581 lbs per foot in weight. You will have to drill and tap completely through the pipe to ensure that the threads have enough grip to hold.
    If I can drum up some I will do that. If I'm going with T6, I'll want it to be <1.25" OD so I can fit it to the larger hole in the plate.
    If you use a hacksaw, you can cut the correct angle, then drill, tap, and buy a 5/8-11 Shoulder bolt to secure the pole from underneath the luggage plate.
    There are a couple of reasons I don't want to do that... first, the luggage plate is a luggage plate and will be carrying luggage as its primary purpose. so I don't want to affix anything to it that'll get in the way of that. No studs jutting out from the top, and definitely not a 3' pole. There is 1" or less of space between the luggage plate and the subframe where I was thinking I'd put a small base to support plate and the lower end of the bar.

Second... I want a little give at the bottom, I think. If my guy lines weren't exactly where they needed to be relative to the hammock suspension or each other, that bolt would have quite a bit of torque applied to it, plenty to bend the plate, strip the bolt, etc. A ball & socket might be a better idea, but I'm probably not putting that much effort in.

I think I'm just going to try it with what I've got the next chance I get. Worst case, I'll need to get a new spreader bar.
    Last edited by Snaps; 04-11-2024 at 19:14.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast