Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts

Question Dealing with Snow

Winter activities in general and especially camping just takes more stuff – planning, equipment, clothes, space, etc. A big part of these winter activities is protecting your gear and clothing from becoming wet either from sweat, water, or especially snow. Although hammocks provide a nice sleeping system and tarp systems, provide shelter for the hammock and hammocker, they do not provide the same kind of protective environment for the other gear and clothing in general.

This last weekend, we took the scouts out for some snow shelter building practice. The temperatures where nice (teens both nights) and weather conditions in general were nice with about 2 feet of snow on the ground. The hammock was comfortable, the quilts kept me warm, the tarp in winter configuration stopped the wind and snow, so the sleeping part was great.

As anyone who has dug quinzees, snow caves, and built igloos knows, by the time you are done, you are soaked head to toe, so there is a lot of wet (soon to be frozen) gear to deal with.

I found myself really missing the floor space of the tent. Being able to spread out wet clothes, break out boot liners, etc. in a protected area out of the snow. I ended up having to use my bag as a shelf to keep things out of the snow, so they would not freeze into a ball and be unusable later. That made it a real pain to access the rest of by gear and not get snow into the bag.

How are other winter hangers handling their gear and keeping it out of the snow?
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Images
    Hi Lou,
    I use a much larger tarp in winter. If the wind is not blowing too bad I also do the walking stick porch on one side. If you select the right trees you can also hang a second ridgeline a few feet from the primary ridgeline under the tarp to hang wet items. A couple extra biners also let you hang you pack and stuff shacks from one of the hammock lines.

I often though a cheap fishnet hammock hung in place of the 2nd ridgeline might even work better.
    hth

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I always carry a gear hammock, even in the summer. I hang it underneath my hammock or to the side and it provides a place to keep things dry and off the ground. I sometimes hang it away from my stuff and cover it with a piece of rip stop to protect it. I really like it and I can stand up and sort through stuff, keeps my area neat and protected.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    GT UL, Multiple DIY
    Tarp
    I like DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I always carry a gear hammock, even in the summer. I hang it underneath my hammock or to the side and it provides a place to keep things dry and off the ground. I sometimes hang it away from my stuff and cover it with a piece of rip stop to protect it. I really like it and I can stand up and sort through stuff, keeps my area neat and protected.
    Do you have any pics? I'm having trouble imagining this setup.....

Thanks!

-jeff

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundtrip View Post
    Do you have any pics? I'm having trouble imagining this setup.....

Thanks!

-jeff
    This is one option
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/JGHPC.htm
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here's the original version from Just Jeff that spawned the Jack's product:

Gear Hammock

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I have been using the MacEntyre version of the Gear Hammock to store my stuff. I like having the SEEP to keep my gear protected if I decide to hang wet clothes over the top instead of inside with my other gear. I'm still playing with the hanging options, but winter is just getting started, so I have plenty of time to work things out.
    This will not dry your clothes out but it will keep your gear out of the elements. The only way I have been able to dry clothes is either wear them or hang them on a trekking pole by the fire.
    Hope this helps...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I usually carry one of those heavy duty 12 ounce space blankets. It can be sued to boost insulation, a tarp beak and in the case you were mentioning, a tarp floor.

This picture was taken in the Spring when heavy rains had hit the night before. I went with a ground-dweller with a tiny tarp. We wound up sitting under my tarp on the space blanket from dinner until time for bed. While this was not in snow, the same concept applies. Its a dry spot to put your gear under our tarp and hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If I'm not carrying a gear hammock, I usually clip my pack onto the hammock support. Anything that needs to dry gets hung on the support line or a separate clothesline. On winter, hanging wet stuff doesn't do a lot of good without a fire.

You can actually let your clothes freeze and them bang them against a log to knock the ice crystals out. Not as efficient as a fire but it works a little bit.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Ridge line I use to hang stuff to dry and have a peace of tyvek to lay on ground as a flloor mat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast