Hammock
    Interested in a Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Not yet decided ?
    Insulation
    Pad &sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Not shure yet ?

Question Ordering My Traveler Soon (A Few Questions)

Hello everyone, Il be ordering my traveler hammock soon and have a few questions. Let me start with a few details. I range from 160~180lbs @ a height of 5'11" Ill be using this hammock as part of my long distance kit. So both weight and durbilty are issues. I also plan to use my current bag & pad. Il buy quilts in future but we have to take this one step at a time. My first question is regarding weather a double layer is a necessity for pad use. Ive used a pad in a hammock before but ive never had the privilage of using the double layer. is it really so much easier to adjust the pad that that the weight penalty is worth it. So as of this second im torn between the double layer 1.1 and single 1.7 I also intend to use whoopie slings so which of the two suspension types that are availible with this hammock whould you recomend for this conversion. Thanks Again any and all comments will be conciderd . SAMOSET

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Well... You and I are about the same size.. I have the 1.1 and love it..
    The pad thing isn't even an issue at all it stays where I put it..
    Even though I hate pads.. Kinda takes away from the raw hammock feel, and the condensation thing..... Suspension I am sure someone else will chime in.. Me, myself I am totally happy with the stock setup. I have been sleepin full time in mine for about 5 months..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I'd go with the standard webbing & buckle suspension. Since your going with whoopies anyways, you could sell the stock suspension in a hurry on here. Or save it for your next hammock. Or the next....
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    My understanding is that the double layer helps keep the pad from moving every time you do...(there being 1 layer of fabric between you and the pad), if this is not a problem for you, then the weight savings of a single layer would be a higher priority; esp for long distances.
    Regarding durability, I do not recall hearing of anybody wearing out a hammock on a thru-hike, (barring catastrophic storm or other damage).
    just FYI..
    KM (who is not a Warbonnet customer (yet) so salt is available on request..)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    The bad news; with a double layer hammock it's very hard to adjust the pad while in the hammock. The good news; once adjusted the pad stays in place . My first hammock was a single layer and I had to chase the pad around all night. I didn't like that so I bought an underquilt. Then I ended up not liking my hammock so I bought a double layer Warbonnet Blackbird. The pad worked perfectly between the layers so I used my quilt as a top quilt.

I find it easier to adjusted my pads (closed foam, not inflatable) without inserting them inside the layers, and it is rare that they move enough to cause a problem. Given that, I no longer insert pads inside the double layer. Inflatable pads may be a different beast and work better inside the double layer.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I've got a 1/4 inch ccf-dont remember from where-but it is so sticky that if i move it moves and is an irritant for when i move, luckily that is rare after i'm in position but getting into position often requires a severe arching of the back with all the weigh on the feet and shoulders/neck.....the the double bottom is excellent for the tacky pads.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by samoset View Post
    Hello everyone, Il be ordering my traveler hammock soon and have a few questions. Let me start with a few details. I range from 160~180lbs @ a height of 5'11"...

So as of this second im torn between the double layer 1.1 and single 1.7...
    Just a point of reference, Brandon tells me a double 1.1 will work for me at 6-1 250. I'll wager a 1.0 single would work fine for you but perhaps Brandon will chime in. I have found (with the WBBB 1.7 dbl) that pads between the layers are tough to adjust. That said I recently ordered a Traveler 1.1 dbl to continue the experiment and to work on fitting my UQ better (the Traveler will be my Winter hammock). The only other reason for a double is Skeeter protection but with a Traveler I assume the enclosed netting will cover that well.

If you do what I did, you will find the pads take from the hammock experience and begin the search for an UQ anyway. I will use pads (without happy thoughts) to boost insulation or fix a cold spot when needed. Used ones are often at good prices here...just sayin'.

Hammock
    Interested in a Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Not yet decided ?
    Insulation
    Pad &sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Not shure yet ?

THanks every one? One step closer

Thanks everyone for the advice . I believe im going to order the single layer 1.7 and go with the line and strap suspension . im going to hold off on ordering for now incase i decide to order a WB tarp. Lets talk fabrics << Newb Needs A Tarp !!<<< My thread on the weather protection sub forum. Thanks again everyone I will update once i decide and make my orders :SAMOSET
    Some pepole live life day by day. Try step by step

• + New Posts