ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Chinook 14X12
    Insulation
    KAQ w/ deep winter
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Okay, still need input on my sleeping bag mod to UQ

Well, I'm still thinking out this sleeping bag transformation to UQ. My wife informed me that we have an old Down comforter that she is willing to let me cannablize for the down. So my plan is to rob down from comforter and add it to the already sewn baffles on the cheap sleeping bag.
    I do have a couple questions.

1) With the length wise baffles on all manufactured UQ's what keeps the down from bunching up on one end or the other, you know, what keeps all from sliding to the bottom when you are holding it ?

2) The baffles in the sleeping bag run width ways instead of length ways like all manufactured UQ's, would this be a problem?

3) I was thinking about filling the baffles that run width ways with the down then sewing in length ways stitches to make a checker board type pattern, what do you guys think?
    My reasoning is to keep the down from moving around and possibly avoid any cold spots when being used.

Heck I might just have to do it and see what happens!]

ANY input is welcome, sorry if I have made this clear as mud!

Tbull

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    1. The down lofts against itself and expands to fill the volume. If you have enough down, that won't be a problem.

2. JRB quilts have widthwise baffles and they're probably the sales volume leader in the industry. I'd predict no problems just bc you have horizontal baffles.

3. No need to sew, but the only drawback I see is cold spots. Where the seam is, your insulation thickness will be zero (well, it'll be the thickness of the material and thread with no down, so basically zero). Not what you want in a non-summer quilt.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Take this post with a LARGE grain of salt because all I have done is purchase and use sleeping bags and quilts.

1) With the length wise baffles on all manufactured UQ's what keeps the down from bunching up on one end or the other, you know, what keeps all from sliding to the bottom when you are holding it ?

I think the most important thing is to completely fill the volume with down. If the baffle volume is underfilled, the down is going to settle at the lowest point.

2) The baffles in the sleeping bag run width ways instead of length ways like all manufactured UQ's, would this be a problem?

I don't know the advantages and disadvantages of the two different orientations for the baffles. I have seen sleeping bags with either design and some that use "length-wise" at the chest and foot and "width-wise" along the legs.

3) I was thinking about filling the baffles that run width ways with the down then sewing in length ways stitches to make a checker board type pattern, what do you guys think?

Every line of stretching is a cold spot. So I would see if you have a shifting problem first before creating a checkerboard quilt
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Chinook 14X12
    Insulation
    KAQ w/ deep winter
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    THAT'S IT!!! The towel has been thrown in! I Quit and ordered a KAQ from AHE!!! Sorry for letting all the hardcore DIYers down, I just aint a quilt maker or sleeping bag modifier! Anyways, really looking forward to my New River!

Thanks for everyone putting up with my questions and rambling!

Tbull

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Can't blame you! Paul makes some nice gear.

You'll probably get the bug and make one later anyway. (just finished my DIY Insultex UQ last week... Down still scares me.)

I was going to warn you to check the down comforter before tearing it apart. I got one (for free thankfully) that turned out to be more feathers than down...

Modifying the Sleeping bag into a TQ is a good use of an old bag. OR you can just do like I do: I use a safety pin to lock the zipper up to my knees and use it like an oversized Top quilt. One of these days I'll get the nerve to pull the zipper and make it smaller and lighter...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Chinook 14X12
    Insulation
    KAQ w/ deep winter
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Can't blame you! Paul makes some nice gear.

You'll probably get the bug and make one later anyway. (just finished my DIY Insultex UQ last week... Down still scares me.)

I was going to warn you to check the down comforter before tearing it apart. I got one (for free thankfully) that turned out to be more feathers than down...

Modifying the Sleeping bag into a TQ is a good use of an old bag. OR you can just do like I do: I use a safety pin to lock the zipper up to my knees and use it like an oversized Top quilt. One of these days I'll get the nerve to pull the zipper and make it smaller and lighter...

John
    Yep, plenty of down from the comforter..............................All over the place!! Now I know why you should do this in a tent!!! well I've vaccumed a couple times now! no biggie, I'm excited about about my new quilt!

I already use an old mummy bag as a top quilt, works really well!!

I'm thinking I'll finish it later and use as summer quilt!

Tbull

• + New Posts