Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa

JRB MW3 Shock Cord Suspension

I'm coppying this from a different forum because I'm so darn happy with myself

"I did my first DIY today!

I coundn't figure out how to attach the JRB MW3 to the underside of the BB so it would stay tight. I watched Brandon's video of him attaching a Yeti using the shock cord suspension it comes with.

Bingo, that is what the MW needs.

There is a cord line in the foot and head ends that run through the hem and has toggles on each end. I snooped around looking at the long side edges and figured I could run some shock cord in there. There may be a couple of sewn through spots but I figured I could make it work.

Off to MEC to buy 8 feet of shock cord and toggles.

I straightened out a wire coat hanger and after about 3/4 of an hour I had the shock cord run through both sides. I left enough at the top end to hang over the bound end of the hammock material like Brandon does in his video, slid the quilt to where I want it and snugged up the toggles I had installed so it won't move up or down the cord. Did the same at the foot end and tied some kind of knot where the two lines are parallel and looped er whatever you call it and hung it on the foot whipped end.

Next I used the existing cords lines that run in the centre of the foot and head end to attach to the suspension lines with a biner. That snugged up the whole end around the hammock perfectly with no open areas.

I'm very happy with how this worked out, the shoulder is covered and the foot box is covered. Quilt is snug everywhere.

This is just like a full length Yeti would be.

Wooo Hooo Buddy!!

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Well, I thought this was a pretty good idea seems no one else does

Is this an old hat, BTDT thing?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great that you found a way to solve your problem!

I think stronger shockcord pulled tightly, still only connected at the ends, might have snugged up the UQ like you wanted. The strength of WB's method is so the UQ is adjustable along the length of the hammock, which is important since it's so short. The MWUQ is full-length so it doesn't need that adjustability.

You may save some weight w/o all the shockcord, if weight is important to you.

But the most important thing is that you create your own solution...that's what we're all about here! And I might try it your way just to see if what I said above is wrong. Post new ideas like you did get all kinds of thoughts going.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Thanks for the response.

I didn't want to put too much tension on the long edge seams of the UQ plus mine is a convertible so it would pull apart at the junction of the 2/3 - 1/3 sections. I was going to figure out a way the cord could be separated to allow the UQ to be separated but so far don't see a need to go 2/3 only for the small saving in weight .. might as well use the whole thing since I've got it.

Running the cord through was a bit difficult as there are some sewn through areas and a sewn on tab that I had to melt small holes on each side of so the cord would pass over it.

I found the full length shock cord does keep the quilt above the foot box and over the pad I put under my shoulders so it's in a nice diagonal lay.

I'm not too concerned about weight as I'm moto camping.

• + New Posts