Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    ok here's my nitpicking...
    i don't know if that's all i have to say about it, but that's it for now. i can in no way, shape, or form see how that thing can be beneficial...
    From a pure ultralight perspective you may be right. There are other perspectives though...

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - Adding some bug net would help with the condensation in most conditions. I guess how much it sacrificed warmth would depend on how windy it was. But a strip along the top would help.

I'm not sure how much that would help in single digits and below, though. The problem is that the material (whatever material) is below the condensation point, so the moisture freezes as the air contacts it. Bug net is easier to pass thru b/c the holes are bigger, but the moisture will still freeze to it when it's cold enough outside.

I had about the same level of condensation in the WBBB bug net on 23 Dec 09 at the -2F, and there was a steady strong wind blowing thru it all night.

Like everything else, a hammock sock excels at certain things and at certain conditions. I think it's great for cold weather protection in an open-top hammock, but one of the tradeoffs is having the moisture condense closer to you (i.e., on the sock instead of the underside of the tarp).
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I would think that the variability of temperature differential measured comes from the fact that gusting winds will have somewhat of a billows affect on the sock and exchange a bit of air periodically. This is probably a good thing from a condensation management standpoint.
    Also from an oxygen acquisition stand point- another reason not to use sil or other impermeable fabrics..to my knowledge, which is limited, nobody has ever smothered in a hammock, but consider the warnings on plastic bags.. and be careful out there! KM

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    nobody has ever smothered in a hammock
    i'm pretty sure i'll be at my wife's hand.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    Also from an oxygen acquisition stand point- another reason not to use sil or other impermeable fabrics..to my knowledge, which is limited, nobody has ever smothered in a hammock, but consider the warnings on plastic bags.. and be careful out there! KM
    I haven't heard of anyone but it's definitely a valid concern, IMO. That's probably a more important reason to avoid sil in hammock socks, in addition to the increased condensation.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    ok here's my nitpicking...

why the sock at all? wouldn't prudence tell you that instead of sinking 7 or 8 ounces into a the nylon sock, wouldn't those ounces be better served in down in a top quilt or underquilt? for example... these would both balance out to the same pack weight, which i think is the ultimate goal...

1 sock
    or
    4+oz down into top quilt
    4+oz down into bottom quilt

i don't know if that's all i have to say about it, but that's it for now. i can in no way, shape, or form see how that thing can be beneficial...
    The reason I made my sock had little to do with adding heat (though it does seem to add around ten to fifteen degrees or so.)

I made it because my go-to tarp is a minimalist diamond asym (five ounces) that provides adequate protection against rain, but still left me vulnerable to some wind-driven rain and rain-splashing from below. The sock offers all-around protection against rain, fog, and eliminates drafts. The elimination of drafts also improves the performance of my IX underquilt.

In fact, sometimes it is best to use the sock only and no tarp. In other words, I see the sock a bit of gear that can extend the utility of other gear and the range of set-up options.
    Last edited by lizzie; 01-02-2011 at 00:44.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    In fact, sometimes it is best to use the sock only and no tarp. In other words, I see the sock a bit of gear that can extend the utility of other gear and the range of set-up options.
    Completely agree with this. It's much easier to set up the hammock with the sock already on it than to set up the hammock and the tarp. I like to go tarpless as often as I can.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    so you're saying the sock basically performs the job of a windshirt? but for the hammock...

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sort of...a windshirt doesn't really provide the dead air space that a hammock does unless you're also wearing something (e.g. fleece) to keep the windshirt away from your skin.

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 rs gathered end.
    Tarp
    DIY 11 X 11
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-glides/web
    Images
    Jeff, I must have missed the part about material. What did you make yours from? Could you use DWR, or would no ventilation be a concern?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast