Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Very nicely done Jeff! Let us know how it performs!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Images
    LOL, Jeff you need to smile more in your demo picts.
    That's the exact expression I would use if was writing a bad review on a product.

All kidding aside, your sock looks like it would keep you out of the wind and very dry when the snow gets to whipping around, I like it.

What's your estimate on increased temperature range?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well, my trip got postponed so I didn't get pics. I got all the way up the mountain, then came to a spot where I had to cross a frozen creek...it was strong enough, but the terrain was pretty steep so the creek was slanted downhill, and there was no way for me to cross without slipping down the mountain. Oh, for the need of crampons...I was literally 1/4 mile from the top, but the terrain was very steep all around so it would have taken hours to find another route. I had already made some pretty risky decisions (manageable risk, but risky nonetheless)...hiking alone, at night, with single digits expected, in pretty harsh terrain, with a layer of snow covering the trail (lost it more than once but I knew where I was going anyway), etc. Pretty thin margin of error, so rather than finding a suboptimal site I just came home and did some family stuff for a couple days. I was disappointed, but wisdom is the better part of valor, I guess. Planning to head out tomorrow evening with just the wife if we can find a place for Joker to stay...pics of the Hammock Sock and DIY Candle Lanterns then.

Haha - and I'll smile more in future pics!

I'm guessing it'll give no more than 10F increase, but it'll keep the wind from stealing the heat from my UQs...not really sure how to measure that.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Jeff? How much material did you approx use?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Basically, it's two lengths of material, 102"x60", sewn together. It's shaped, obviously, but that's what I started with.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Basically, it's two lengths of material, 102"x60", sewn together. It's shaped, obviously, but that's what I started with.

Thank you!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    So my trips kept getting postponed/canceled, but I did a test hang in the backyard last night for a new personal low. I posted this in another thread, so sorry for the double-post...I'll consolidate the sock part of it here, though.

Update...in the hammock now, on my phone. Zero degrees, 12:30a, windchill -20f on weather.com. Using new DIY hammock, winter Yeti UQ, JRB MWUQ4 as TQ, JRB hood, new green hammock sock. No tarp, so I can test the sock. Toasty warm but wouldn't be out here without the sock. Wind may keep me awake tonight.

Wearing thick socks, lightweight fleece pants, Montbell ThermaWrap pants, poly T-shirt, lightweight merino wool shirt, REI Generator down jacket. Couldn't find my Serius neofleece facemask so my nose is cold.

Didn't realize my backyard was so bright at night!
    Also had a leg pad, and the Blackrock beanie on under the JRB hood. I didn't need the beanie, but I was wearing it while I set up the hammock and forgot to take it off.

I woke up once at 4am (windy), and then for good at about 6am (normal time for me). Was warm the whole time I slept, but got a little chill after I woke up. The chill came from my legs, which were on a Walmart CCF egg crate pad. Everything else was pretty good...no sweating, no shivering. Probably need to use a thicker leg pad.

Measured low was -4.5F. Weather.com's lowest windchill was -25F, and there was a steady wind all night.

My thermometer has a probe so I can take simultaneous temps inside and outside the sock. Difference was 10-15F all night, with a max measured difference of 22.3F! One key thing, though...I don't know how to measure windchill difference. The winds were gusting pretty good all night...a steady 12-15mph where I am exposed on the hill. I wouldn't have been out there without the sock or a full buttoned-up tarp...so even though the measured temp was a bit warmer, the actual value was MUCH more than the number shows b/c it took away the windchill.

This is some pretty thick DWR and I could actually feel the wind blowing thru the material a few times!

I had some condensation. Part of it is b/c I couldn't find my facemask...that helps a lot with the condensation. And a big part is just how cold it was...I would have had condensation on the bug net of the WBBB, or on the inside of a buttoned-up tarp, if I had used them. So I'd like to test it with my facemask before drawing any long-term conclusions about the condensation in the sock.

All-in-all, a good night! New low, and looking to ring in the New Year with another new low...but I might have to compromise with the wife and just do another backyard test. I was so excited about the temps yesterday that I forgot today was New Year's Eve!

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    jeff, permission to sort of poke at your sock idea? i have a few questions that i don't understand about them...

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Of course...that's what this whole forum is about!

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    jeff, permission to sort of poke at your sock idea? i have a few questions that i don't understand about them...
    Ask away wags and post in this thread. I'm planning on making one as well perhaps with an insulbrite lining? Just Jeff, your thoughts on that?

Great report Just Jeff, congrats on a new low. Yup, that sounds strange to say.

Syb

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast