Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

New OD Green Hammock Sock

Hey all - I made a new hammock sock a few days ago and wanted to share some pics. I'll have the full description on my page at some point, but I don't know when I'll get around to it (busy with work and holidays, and internet isn't going to get in the way of me going camping tonight!).

My last model (TravelPod) had the zipper right down the middle of the top (along the ridgeline). That was much easier to make, but I didn't quite like how it performed. When I got in and out, I had to twist the sock around so the zipper was along the hammock body instead of the ridgeline...so I wanted the entry to be lower on one side.

For last model and this model, I used a zipper that I cut off of a Walmart fleece sleeping bag. The bag is about $10 and has a long zipper; sewing shops may have a "sleeping bag repair zipper" that's 100" and is $15. With both of these, the length of the zipper somewhat limits the design.

• One place where it limits is ability to put the sock on and take it off while the hammock while is hung. Last model, I sewed the foot end all the way, with just a hole for the hammock support to exit the sock. Then I could unzip the sock at the head end and "remove" it from the hammock by stuffing it into the Blackbishop bag that was already hanging on the hammock. I kept that design for this sock.
    • Since the zipper was along the ridgeline of the last design, it was a little tricky to lay with only my head poked out of the sock. Another reason I wanted the zipper to go down the side. With this design, I can either open the whole side of the sock and flop the door over, or I can zip it tight around my head to help with condensation while still keeping the warmth inside the sock.

With the last design, I found that sometimes the sock would slip down over the hammock. I did two things to remedy this:

• I put a little grosgrain loop on each end. With such small openings I'm not sure if I'll need it on this design, but if I do I can prussik the sock to the hammock support to keep it in place.
    • I added a velcro closure to keep the stress off the zipper at the head end.
    • In the pic below, the grosgrain is on the left and the velcro closure is on the right.

I also just wanted one in OD green...now I have it! I used a heavier fabric for this one since it's for Colorado winters...it's probably 1.5 osy or so but I didn't measure. Looks like 1.1 fabric with a heavier than normal DWR coating, if I had to guess...but it's noticeably heavier than normal 1.1 DWR. That will make the final project a bit heavier, but warmer...hopefully it won't have a noticeable impact on condensation.

It weighs 10 3/4 oz (304 g). Now that I've gotten the design dialed in, I can probably save almost 2 oz by getting a smaller gauge zipper. And of course the fabric...could probably cut off ~3 oz with a lighter material.

I also think I got the measurements about right for a 120" hammock with a 100" ridgeline this time. The attached pics are the sock over a WBBB. I'll make a graphic and post the dimensions when I get the page up.

Leaving in a couple hours for a two-nighter in the mountains to test it out...expecting single digits and light snow. (Disappointed...we were forecasted to get ~12" Thurs-Fri but now it's down to a couple inches.)

Anyway...here are the pics! Hope it spawns some ideas for other DIYers!

(Also putting on a prototype Blackbishop bag with webbing pockets on the outside for the cords/straps.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Looks awesome Jeff. Thanks for the pictures. Anxious to find out how it works for you over the next few days with condensation, breathability, and function. Keep us posted after your test drive.
    KJ

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    That's really awesome Jeff! It looks really nice. I've been really wanting to make a hammock scok but am a little intimdated by the project.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    VERY Nice! thx for sharing the pics. Enjoy your trip & look forward to reviews

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Great looking sock, Jeff! I love the zippered Side Entry/Exit Portal.

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Nice, Jeff.
    I made a gear hammock last night, very similar to your design, but with a flap making it like MacEntyre's.

Was thinking of starting on a sock tonight, but I think I'll wait to hear how this new design works for you over the weekend.
    Think warm thought, brother!
    -the other jeff
    Last edited by rjcress; 12-19-2010 at 16:01.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    That looks awesome. I first learned about the whole hammock thing after finding Jeff's site and I thought to myself, "This guy made all this stuff?" Then I found Nirvana (HF that is) and now I see a lot of people making all this outstanding gear - truly inspiration stuff that gets the DIY juces flowing. Again Jeff, what an awesome design.

*** Warning, the following pictures contain scenes of tents, tent setups and partial ground dwelling. These pictures are intended for mature audiences only.

One question though and forgive me if this totally doesn't make sense but could you add an arc-style type of "door" to the sock instead of or in addition to what you already have? Something like what a tent typically has? My thought here is to solve the "where do I put the zipper" (i.e., ridgeline or elsewhere) as well as the "can I still access the zipper from inside the hammock" questions. You could still have your head out of the sock at the end if you used a zipper with two pulls.

If it weren't for my step-daughter who likes camping in a tent (don't worry, I'm trying to elevate her perspective) I would totally cannibalize my Kelty.

I hope these pics help in what I'm trying to get across here. If on the other hand you want to point out that I'm totally off base, I'm cool with that.

Syb
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Syb; 12-16-2010 at 16:28. Reason: Syb = goofball. Didn't see Jeff's pics clearly :(

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There are lots of ways to put a zipper on a sock, and I basically did what you're talking about...I just made the "hinge" of the door along the ridgeline instead of vertical. Warbonnet's bug sock has the same concept, but his arc goes the other way (like a frown). That's useful b/c you can use a much shorter zipper, but the entire door still hangs out of the way when opened. I wanted the flexibility to remove the sock without taking down the hammock, so I put mine the other way.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    ...could you add an arc-style type of "door" to the sock ...?
    I considered an upside down arc for the MMG sock, but it was just too appealing to cut along the hammock edge, and aim for the gathered ends.

If I were to put a vent in the SEEP, it would be tough to decide between a zippered upside down arc, and a zipper-less right side up arc.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Enjoy your two-nighter.

Syb