Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdofprey View Post
    Bieggolmai -- I use a survival tube (the tube, not the bag) as my underquilt. Just peel it apart along the seams (so it becomes a blanket) and tie it at both ends around your hammock (it will cinch up nicely under your hammock). It will block the wind, cold and any moisture....and keep you warm by reflecting your own body heat back toward you. They're made in the UK, and they only cost about $35 U.S. Go to www.blizzardsurvival.com
    Do you have any pictures on how to use it?
    How low in temp can you go with that thing?
    No longer with a great "Yukon Yak Fever"

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

My pictures:My Picasa-album

My paracord-webshop:Webshop
    Sorry dudes, only in Swedish (so far).

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    +1 on that one, would make an nice addition to the layering system if temps suddenly drops.....
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjalling Weideman View Post
    Ask your US-supplier to attach a discounted bill to the package. Customs do not know whether the price of a under quilt is $100 or $300. So pay $300 and ask for a $100 bill.

Succes
    Tjalling

US suppliers, full out businesses, JRB for one among others, will not participate in frauds... Also, this forum does not support illegal activity.

Recommend the referenced post and this response be removed.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB1.7 dbl,
    Tarp
    OES DL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    US suppliers, full out businesses, JRB for one among others, will not participate in frauds... Also, this forum does not support illegal activity.

Recommend the referenced post and this response be removed.

Pan
    Dear Mr. Pan, hold your horses. You are right when you conclude that I suggest to perform Illegal actions. I’ am not quite sure if I’ am going to apologize for that. As Europeans we have to rely on US products. To get our gear together to hang properly, we shop at Hennessy Hammocks, Warbonnet, AHE, Hammock Gear, Whoopy Sling and yes JRB.
    We are confronted with ridiculous high cost. On my last delivery with a price of $50 I not only had to pay $29.50 postage but also € 11.21 VAT and € 12.50 Customs Duty, the equivalent of $31. In my perception this a criminal activity. US suppliers do not deduct local taxes (VAT) on exports, which is common with European “full out businesses”. So we not only pay full prices, but we also pay taxes (19-24%) over US tax and even over postage. So you could help us with a discounted bill (not in the amount in my somewhat over exaggerated example in my post) to smooth things out.
    I hope you understand the frustration which led to my former reaction.

Tjalling
    Last edited by Tjalling; 12-28-2010 at 16:24.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    We all know the difficulties and cost involved when purchasing gear from abroad. Postage from DD Hammocks hurts my feelings too. However, the OP is looking for an option from Europe, so let's stay on that and leave the other stuff for campfire discussions.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Dear Mr. Pan, hold your horses. You are right when you conclude that I suggest to perform Illegal actions. I’ am not quite sure if I’ am going to apologize for that. As Europeans we have to rely on US products. To get our gear together to hang properly, we shop at Hennessy Hammocks, Warbonnet, AHE, Hammock Gear, Whoopy Sling and yes JRB.
    We are confronted with ridiculous high cost. On my last delivery with a price of $50 I not only had to pay $29.50 postage but also € 11.21 VAT and € 12.50 Customs Duty, the equivalent of $31. In my perception this a criminal activity. US suppliers do not deduct local taxes (VAT) on exports, which is common with European “full out businesses”. So we not only pay full prices, but we also pay taxes (19-24%) over US tax and even over postage. So you could help us with a discounted bill (not in the amount in my somewhat over exaggerated example in my post) to smooth things out.
    I hope you understand the frustration which led to my former reaction.

Tjalling
    Every country has hundreds if not thousands of taxes and fees... They are imposed at the will of their citizenry... If they are unfgair or unpopular the citizenry should work to change them... It is plain wrong to ask others to violate the laws of their country and yours.

Personally I take insult that you suggest our US Cottage Industries should be asked to participate in fraud.... You would not ask it of REI or Campmor.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ask your US-supplier to attach a discounted bill to the package. Customs do not know whether the price of a under quilt is $100 or $300. So pay $300 and ask for a $100 bill.

Succes
    Tjalling
    This sounds like a good opportunity to create an EU based hammock related cottage business. In other threads, the materials are readily available and there are gear makers willing to do the work. Someone just has to step up and decide to do it. Clearly there is a market in the EU for hammock related gear.

I feel the pain of having to pay customs fees (mostly local sales taxes and a small processing fee) when buying US based goods and importing to Canada. However, I know this when I make the purchase.

As it stands now the EU countries has a currency exchange advantage over the US dollar so, that should partially offset any extra taxes and duties your country imposes on the import of goods.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    FWIW, I've never had to pay customs on US gear (I live in Australia)
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just to be clear - any member or vendor caught using Hammock Forums to conduct illegal activities will be banned. This includes tax or customs fraud. This is not open for debate so please do not respond with why you think this is an unfair or unjustified policy.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    survival tubes
    Images

temps

Bieggolmai: Sorry, I've been away. If you just use the tube as an UQ, you'll have no problems in temps down to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. If you anticipate temperatures colder than that, I would add a 2nd tube on top (thus creating a cocoon). I connect the 2 tubes with simple spring clips that I found at the hardware store. Check out my gallery for pictures.

Inside the cocoon you will enjoy a temperature spread of 15 - 20 degrees F. For instance, if it's 30 degrees F outside, inside your hammock it will be 45 - 50 degrees F. If you move around a bit, the inside temperature will quickly go up another 5 degrees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast