Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i have never used a blackbird but for hennessy i know a bit. they are a great shelter from the ground to the trees. as for the tarps i like the stock fly its great for summer n the hex tarp is ok but i rather get a from another company. get the oc it great for winter or just those windy nights.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest SoLite
    Suspension
    HH Tree Huggers
    Thanks for all the replies. It's a learning curve, but I'm getting there.

Based on inventory, I'm now considering the savings of the holiday special versus what I can actually get at this point.

At first the "free" hammock was the zippered Scout, but now it's the bottom entry "classic." Strike one.

And as I've gone back and forth on the hammock for me, I keep coming back to the EXPLORER ULTRALITE A-SYM ZIP. Of course, those are out of stock. That's strike two.

I started looking at the 2QZQ mod costs, and if I get the bottom-entry versions and then pay to have both modified, I'm not really sure if the holiday special is worth it. Still debating as to whether that's strike 3 or not.

Question: Does Hennessy often run specials like this holiday deal, or is this a first-time thing? I'm really angling more for summer camping at first with the hammock(s), so I'm not chomping at the bit here. I can wait on Hennessy to restock if there's a good possibility of another similar special. Or at least some sort of special where I can save money and get complete kits. The Warbonnets look good, but pricier to me when I figure in additional costs like flies and snakeskins (which I'm told elsewhere are worth the cash).

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    HH has sales occasionally, but the free hammock is normally only at the holidays.

WBBBs are expensive (in part b/c they're still all made in the USA while HHs are made overseas), but tarps show up pretty often in the For Sale section here. You can post a WTB thread (Willing to Buy) in the Marketplace and maybe somebody will part with one for ya. That can save you some money and you'll have a great hammock to boot.

I've never complained about the comfort of a Hennessy that I've tried...it's great. But the WBBB is more comfortable, higher quality, and more convenient...to me. Your call if the same holds true for you.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest SoLite
    Suspension
    HH Tree Huggers
    Thanks, Jeff. I'm inclined to wait and get something I'll really like, rather than just jump at a hammock (or hammocks) because of a sale. If Hennessy had both the Scout Zip and the UL Explorer Zip in stock, I wouldn't even think about it. I'd just place the order now. But as it is, I think I'll take my time and try to find a hammock that I'm going to enjoy carrying and using a little more. Same goes for my son and his hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There are several hangs a year on the east coast...try to attend one and I'm sure you'll be able to try out lots of models there. Somebody can probably set you up with an entire winter kit with a little notice. The Mt Rogers Hang is next month in Virginia!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I would recommend the Explorer Deluxe or Ultrialight for you, as you are a larger guy. The Expedition will likely feel cramped. I have the Explorer Deluxe with side zip. Love it. Comfortable, easy to get in and out, and because of the greater width than the Expedition, finding the sweet spot is easy.

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I got lucky and called Hennessy on a Saturday to order. They were showing out of stock on the Ultralite Backpacker Asym side zip on the website, but when I called they said they had a couple in their warehouse. I upgraded to the hex fly, and they sent me an Expedition side zip as the freebie because they were out of the Scout. Excellent service as far as I'm concerned. This is my first hammock experience, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I'm pretty sure I'm hooked.

I think the explorer deluxe is the way to go for ya! I found that this website has been really helpful for me on finding the exact info I need. They also have a telephone number that I tried with a pretty knowledgeable staff.
    http://www.imaginegear.com/Shop/Cont...ge/1/SFV/32905

Guyon-

Where are you along your path to a hammock purhcase? I have a pesonal "stock" of HH's which I can explain in a PM. Meanwhile, to answer your question about sales: The Hennessy website rarely cuts the price on new hammocks due to agreements with brick and mortar stores. Instead, they can offer free shipping, free Snakesins, extra tarps, a second hammock, etc., as promotions. Sometimes there will be a special promotion at a location, such as the PCT Kickoff, a Scout Jamboree, or Trail Days in VA (each May). At this last one, Tom offers HUGE discounts. I've been a HH user for over 10 years and have helped at shows. Let me know if you have more questions.

Rosaleen

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyon View Post
    Thanks, Jeff. I'm inclined to wait and get something I'll really like, rather than just jump at a hammock (or hammocks) because of a sale. If Hennessy had both the Scout Zip and the UL Explorer Zip in stock, I wouldn't even think about it. I'd just place the order now. But as it is, I think I'll take my time and try to find a hammock that I'm going to enjoy carrying and using a little more. Same goes for my son and his hammock.
    Guyon,
    You can't get a hammock more flexible and adaptable to a variety of conditions than a Hennessy with our Mod #4! With bottom, left and right top entrance capability, a completely stowable bugnet (great stargazing!), and left and right bugnet zipper pulls, the Hennessy with Mod #4 has benefits worth considering. -2Q
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast