HH Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest SoLite
    Suspension
    HH Tree Huggers

New Guy Here - First Questions About Hennessy

Hi all, I recently got interested in hammock camping, and I've been looking at options at Hennessy and Warbonnet. The holiday deal at Hennessy is certainly tugging me in their direction. I have some initial questions about Hennessy hammocks.

1. I am almost 6'1" and weigh 220. From what I've read here so far, the Expedition is going to be cramped, so I'm looking at the Explorer Deluxe and the Explorer Ultralight. Am I on the right track as far as size?

2. Does the Explorer Ultralight sacrifice any durability in the name of weight? It's 13 ounces lighter (and only $20 more). How does the Ultralight save weight?

3. If I go with the Explorer Deluxe, regular fly or double-sized hex fly? Advantages/disadvantages of the two flies?

4. Bottom entrance or size zip? Advantages/disadvantages?

5. The free Scout Classic is not asymmetrical, so is it considerably more difficult to lay horizontally? This hammock would be for my 5'4" wife or for my (much shorter) six-year-old son.

Any info you can offer will be appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY DL gthrd end, zip-off bugnet
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole (Camo)
    Insulation
    Pad and bag (FL!)
    Suspension
    Hugger + whoopies
    Images
    1. I have friends that are 6'3 and 6'5 and they sleep in the Expedition with no complaints. However, they are both of a "bean pole" build and so probably don't experience as much shoulder pinch as a huskier person of the same height. I'm only 5'10 and 150 lbs so I've got room a'plenty.

2. The Ultralight's hammock saves weight in two ways: 1) by using lighter fabrics (e.g. 70D Nylon taffeta vs. 210D Oxford nylon in the Deluxe) and 2) by using a thinner lower-rated suspension rope (1600 lbs vs. 2700 lbs). I would think that durability would be sacrificed with the lower thread density material (and mozzies can bite through it easier!). Both suspensions are probably overkill (for a manufacturer, better safe than sorry), and many of us here swap them out for lighter rigs.

3. If you're a warm-weather camper, then the regular rainfly will probably meet all your needs. Otherwise, you can't lose with the hex other than it being larger/heavier.

4. I've only ever used the bottom entrance. I find it useful for getting into the hammock in really buggy situations because it minimizes the number of skeeters that follow you in. It's also useful for being able to hang muddy boots or a stuff sack outside the hammock while being from the ridgeline inside. I can see it being a disadvantage for cold-weather hangers that need to position a UQ and/or pad.

5. It's not considerably more difficult, as long as you lay at a diagonal , and especially for small people like your wife and son.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Both are solid hammocks, and really it comes down to preference. Here are my thoughts.

To start with, many people move from HH to Warbonnet, but very few move from a Warbonnet to HH. Draw your own conclusion from that.

I have an HH Explorer ULA, HH Backpacker ULA, Warbonnet Blackbird and Warbonnet El Dorado (discontinued model, but I bet they'd sell if he brought them back). I take the WBBB, but my wife prefers the EULA. My 11 y/o son likes about any hammock but usually takes the BULA.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyon View Post
    Does the Explorer Ultralight sacrifice any durability in the name of weight? It's 13 ounces lighter (and only $20 more). How does the Ultralight save weight?
    It's plenty durable as long as you don't throw on sharp rocks and dance on it.

If I go with the Explorer Deluxe, regular fly or double-sized hex fly? Advantages/disadvantages of the two flies?
    Depends on how comfortable you are. The regular fly is plenty adequate...but still only adequate. It'll keep you dry in a storm, but not provide much dry space to cook, change clothes, etc. Many people prefer bigger tarps for that reason, and to get better wind protection in the winter.

I normally take a MacCat Standard for me, and can hang under it with my 11 y/o hanging next to me. There's been a trend for a while on HF of people buying HUGENORMOUS tarps...which is great if it fits your style, but don't read the larger tarp recommendations as necessary, just as another option. If you'd like to trade the weight penalty for more comfort, it's your style decision. Personally, I like a much smaller margin of comfort...but the MacCat Standard is still PLENTY of coverage. I take the JRB 11x10 when I need more coverage.

So you may consider getting a large fly for winter or base camping, and a smaller fly for backpacking...if that fits your style and budget.

Bottom entrance or size zip? Advantages/disadvantages?
    Convenience...again, a style question. I like side zip best...easier to enter/exit (IMO), easier to reach out and get stuff, easier to adjust insulation, easier to cook from the hammock, etc.o That said...my wife likes the HH-style entry best. But she wants a zippered bug net so she can reach out the sides for all the reasons I like the side entry. You can ask 2Q/ZQ here for a zipper mod.

The free Scout Classic is not asymmetrical, so is it considerably more difficult to lay horizontally? This hammock would be for my 5'4" wife or for my (much shorter) six-year-old son.
    The asym bug net doesn't change the hammock's lay at all...it just holds the net away from your face to make it seem more roomy inside. I don't even use the tie-outs on any of my hammocks. (Again, my wife disagrees...she likes them tied out every time.) So the Scout may look different when you're inside it, but it doesn't actually feel different.

Hope this helps.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip, Eno double nest
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    HH, tree huggers
    Welcome to HF, i just ordered a HH expedition asym to get the free scout for my son hennessy ran out of the scout and gave me another Exped asym (thanks HH) so what a deal get the hennessy cant beat the deal and the hammocks are great just recieved mine on monday and i cant wait to try it out.. Good luck

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Hey! Welcome to the forum! I have the explorer deluxe and a wbbb 1.7. Actually like both of them. I bought my son an expedition and I tried to sleep in it and it wasn't roomy enough for me although I am 5'8". I seem to gravitate to taking my blackbird on more trips. As for the fly answer, the stock tarp I found a little small for me. We ordered the hexes and they became our choice to take because of the coverage. Still use it with my BB. Wind ripped the corners on them and I had to sew on nylon loops on both tarps to beef them up for wind. I think for the money you would not go wrong with either. I like using the bottom entry of the HH when there are a lot of skeeters around. Seems less get in the hammock with me. Being here in Fl., there are times there are lots of skeeters. I like the ledge compartment on the BB. Very useful and handy. HH has the mesh bag for storage on ridgeline and you can add extra storage bags on both if you need extra storage. It really comes down to the features you want. A lot of people like clarks and claytor because of their features. Also since you are researching, check out the switchback from tree to tree gear. That is also a nice hammock to think about. Good luck on your choice!

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    i had the explorer ultralight (sold to a friend) and now the explorer deluxe only due to direction from HH (just as a precaution). i'm 6'3" 250 and didn't/don't have any problems in either, i used the ultralight for 10 trips. i'd go with the upgrade 30D hex fly for that little added protection or get the standard and make your own. i would also get the Mod2 from 2QZQ if getting the HH.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO the only reason the explorer UL would have less durability is 1) It is _really old_ and has not been taken care of well. 2) It is mistreated and scraped on the ground or rocks. I am 5'10" 240# or so and the Ultralight is a sweet hang. Keep it out of the direct sun and take good care of it and you won't have anything to worry about. The biggest complaint I've heard about the Scout is the size is not really sufficient for a full sized male adult. It seems to be more designed for shorter folks. I know some women who really like them and they were designed for scouting so kids are the intended user.

I have mobility issues and so the bottom entry is the only entry system I can use. In that regard the HH is my hammock of choice. It has never "let me down", barring user error.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Welcome. I have a HHULB and like it. I did some modifying to it since I got it. When and if I get a new hammock it won't be a HH. By no means am I saying anything bad about the HH but now with more options available my choices are broader. Start cheap and work your way from there and good luck to you. Your defiantly at the right place to get every question answered. my $.02
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I have used the HH Expedition for about 6 months now (around 25 nights).

1) I am of similar size and I wish it were slightly larger so would recommend stepping up to the Explorer.

3) I have the stock fly and have never had an issue. Spent a very wet week at scout camp without any issues. The bottom entry was a bonus here as it allows you to use the small fly as you enter/exit/change. I am in bear country, so would never cook near my hammock, so having a second area to cook in somewhat negates the benefit of a larger tarp during the summer.

4) Bottom entrance was nice/fine for the summer, but became a huge issue with the first winter trip. Trying to manage bigger quilts, more clothes, and bottom entrance with an UQ was very frustrating. I will not use it for winter camping again. I created a DIY winter hammock with no bug netting.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    @sswens - Well I reckon I must have got the last of the "Scout" HH hammocks! It came with my expedition last week.
    @Guyon - I'm 5'6" 155 lbs. I tried the scout and I fit into it with room to spare. I could also lie offset (feet right, shoulders left) to flatten out just as in the Expedition. The Scout should be fine for your wife or child.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast