Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9X9
    Insulation
    Wiggy's UQ & SB
    Suspension
    straps, PL on RL
    Images

More on Wiggy's gear

I saw the older thread on this and it looked like people were curious about Wiggy's gear. I have a wiggy's UQ that is 44 X 84 inches. It is the 20 degree thickness of insulation called L-12. It has nylon sleeves across each 44 inch end with a nylon cord and cord locks. I sewed on some p-cord loops 18 inches down the long sides from two opposing corners to help with diagonal coverage. It weighs 2.7 lbs. It fits into an 8 x 18 inch compression sack and compresses to about 15 inches pretty easily. 44 inches was the widest they would make it, something about the max width of the fabric. Black was the only color choice. Cost $150 plus shipping. It's very warm, just like my 20 degree bag.

I also use my Wiggy full length ground pad slipped between the layers of my blackbird in mild weather. With a 35 degree Wiggy mummy overbag this gets me to 35 or so with a layer of fleece on. No sweat condensation and minimal fuss. Pad weighs 4.3 lbs and is 28 inches wide, compresses so it rolls up smaller than full length egg crate ccf pad though.

I can see other possibilities for DIYers to convert some of his rectangular or desert bags into large UQ's or pods while maintaining their use as sleeping bags, especially since the bags could cost less than a custom UQ.

Their poncho liners are 2-3 times as thick as a mil spec PL and much warmer. The outer layer of fabric is thick and windproof compared to the regular nylon on the sleeping bags and inside the PL. Weight 2.6 lbs in the stuff sack. Cut a head hole, sew on sleeves for cords and you've got a TQ, UQ, or serape. Good for a TQ to low 40's wearing a layer of fleece.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Maybe it's just me, but thats an awful lot of weight to be carrying around compared to other options. Everything you listed is 9.6lbs. A 4.3lbs pad should get you much much lower than 35F, it should have an R value of at LEAST 7-9 to be that heavy. 2.7lbs for a quilt, is heavy, but not horrible for a 20F synthetic. And 2.6lbs for a thick poncho liner seems heavy too, especially for only 40F.

Hike your own hike, and hang your own hammock and all that jaz. But I don't think the heavy weight, even considering the slightly cheaper prices is worth it.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I have used the Wiggys ECOT 20*F bag with draw string bottom and center zip as a peapod system with just a windsheild foam reflector as pad down to 18*F. Total weight less then 5lbs, cost $ 230.00.

I've added a 30*F down bag inside the Wiggys, down to -14*. The great thing about that bag I can also use it as a sleeping bag or open it up for a large quilt.

I think value for the doller you can't go wrong. Sure there is some more weight, more bulk, but it does work and work well.

fourdog

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9X9
    Insulation
    Wiggy's UQ & SB
    Suspension
    straps, PL on RL
    Images
    I'm pretty much with you on the weights there Rambler. I don't backpack with the ground pad and would prefer a smaller UQ for backpacking, esp in above freezing weather. The UQ could be made any length though, cutting down on the weight and bulk proportionately from my 7 ft beast. I like the long version for cold and car or canoe camping. They do compress down better than expected. When you first start stuffing them in a sack, you immediately think there is no way, but you just keep stuffing.

The Wiggy PL often makes the cut for backpacking as a summer TQ/wrap. Compared to mil PL, almost twice as heavy, maybe 50% more bulk, but about 10 degrees (that I gotta have) warmer.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Yaks,
    Can we see some photos of the Wiggys quilts and pl. And when they are stuffed in the stuff sacks? Please...
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Strap/Tri Rings
    I love my Wiggy's sleeping bag - a 20deg hooded HUnter Ultralight (which it is not at 5 pounds). I have been warm in a tent with a pad to 15 degrees with it. But it is not hammock friendly. Way too much material since it is rectangular.

I bought one of the Wiggy underblankets. It was not what I hoped it would be, so I was fortunate enough that another member here wanted a second one. It would have been a better experience if I could have gotten better information from Wiggy before ordering. Which I probably wouldn't have done.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I just got the poncho liner yesterday. It is heavier (1110 grams) and more expensive ($60) than the mil-spec poncho liner (724 grams and about $30), but it is also warmer. Experimenting on my couch last night indicates the extra weight is marginal or proportional to the extra weight. I doubt it will ever be part of my summer gear, but instead it will supplement a down TQ and UQ in the winter.

My 15°F down sleeping bag is only 1218 grams compared to the Wiggy's PL...but then we are talking $325 versus $60. .My 3-Season Burrow is 646 grams and was $289. I got my Wiggy's PL on sale ($45), so I'd say it is a good value for weight/warmth/cost. But, I wouldn't pay full-price for one.
    Last edited by Trooper; 12-18-2010 at 09:08.

Hammock
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yakrs4 View Post
    Their poncho liners are 2-3 times as thick as a mil spec PL and much warmer. The outer layer of fabric is thick and windproof compared to the regular nylon on the sleeping bags and inside the PL. Weight 2.6 lbs in the stuff sack. Cut a head hole, sew on sleeves for cords and you've got a TQ, UQ, or serape. Good for a TQ to low 40's wearing a layer of fleece.
    Not a big difference, but an important distinction:

My PL weighs 2 pounds and 7 ounces, or 2.4 pounds. Is yours 2.6 pounds or 2 pounds, 6 ounces?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9X9
    Insulation
    Wiggy's UQ & SB
    Suspension
    straps, PL on RL
    Images
    OK, pics are on gallery for underquilts. Compares the PL, UQ to mil spec PL for volume and stuffability. The UQ is in a wiggy's compression sack size small, next to a fully expanded 8X18 sack. The wiggy PL should easily fit into the small sack and get smaller than the UQ.

Trooper, mine weighs 2.6 lbs including the large stuff sack it came with, so probably the same as yours...you're a brave guy counting grams in the synthetic world

The UQ came with no sack. It was what I expected but I wonder if some fixed loops at the corners might be better for suspension to allow the end not to bunch up too much and get too narrow at the feet or shoulders. That might allow for a shorter UQ but same coverage.

Hammock
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Good photos. The only difference is that my Wiggy's PL is Brown/Gray. Also, I think they are the same total area, but the Wiggy's is longer and narrower than the mil-spec PL.

If the Wiggy's is twice as warm as the Mil-spec, I'll be happy. It does loft about twice as much.

• + New Posts