Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I did that the first night I slept in my HH, but I just used the sleeve of a sweatshirt hung over the ridgeline. It was great for keeping my breath warm, but when I turned onto my side my face was always sticking into the material.

The next closest thing I did was the PeaPod Hood.
    Great idea !

fourdog

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Ruffs and snorkels are great unless

you are a side-sleeper like me. Then the best ideas break down. I will be experimenting with one of these this weekend:

http://www.rei.com/product/725706

Hopefully it will intercept the moist air before it soaks my TQ. I would rather have a damp polarfleece item than a damp down one.

While we are on the subject, soes anyone know of a down-filled hood along the lines of a JRB hood that also has a cape to cover the upper chest and upper back? Sort of like a chain-mail armor balaclava. I bet that would be toasty, and could have a rugff attached.

Jim

Edit: Mac, how about a pod with an "exhaust hood" to the pod's exterior? Wouldn't have to fit tightly, and the warm air from exhalation would create a chimney effect to carry the humidity out. Just brainstormin' here.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    you are a side-sleeper like me. Then the best ideas break down. I will be experimenting with one of these this weekend:

Hopefully it will intercept the moist air before it soaks my TQ. I would rather have a damp polarfleece item than a damp down one.

While we are on the subject, soes anyone know of a down-filled hood along the lines of a JRB hood that also has a cape to cover the upper chest and upper back? Sort of like a chain-mail armor balaclava. I bet that would be toasty, and could have a rugff attached.

Jim

Edit: Mac, how about a pod with an "exhaust hood" to the pod's exterior? Wouldn't have to fit tightly, and the warm air from exhalation would create a chimney effect to carry the humidity out. Just brainstormin' here.
    Check out www.finnovations.org he makes what I think your looking for and was used by members of one of Steigers Expeditions to the North pole.
    Looks like it would work well.

fourdog

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Mac, how about a pod with an "exhaust hood" to the pod's exterior? Wouldn't have to fit tightly, and the warm air from exhalation would create a chimney effect to carry the humidity out. Just brainstormin' here.
    I've noodled a lot about that... what's holding me back is the excellent performance of two small openings in the PeaPod. One is above my face and one is close to the head end of the PeaPod. Perhaps what you need is something simple to hold them open.

Quote Originally Posted by fourdog View Post
    Check out www.finnovations.org he makes what I think your looking for ...
    Wow! That looks nice!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

I take this one on every winter trip and it's great. I use the JRB hood so I don't need the whole balaclava. It does a pretty good job of trapping some condensation, but the biggest thing is the airholes (mouth and nose) are designed so they keep everything warm but don't make me feel like I'm suffocating...even thin balaclavas make be feel like that.
    http://www.rei.com/product/725712

Re: the PeaPod openings...I've thought about just putting an 18" strip of velcro right above my head on the PeaPod. Not even sewing anything...just attaching raw velcro right to the PeaPod's velcro. That would keep it from sealing shut and make sure I always had ventilation. I haven't done it b/c I'd still be breathing inside the pod, so I don't like that idea. The PeaPod hood makes sure the I'm not actually breathing inside, which I like. My prototype is too big, though...could probably get by with half that size (and half the bulk and weight).
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

fourdog: Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

Exactly what I was looking for! I would be happy to buy you a legal beverage if we cross paths.

Now I need to call Brother Finn.

Jim

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Glad to be of service. Injoy your time outside.

fourdog

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123