Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images

California Rainstorm

It's the sunday before Christmas and I've been running around getting all the chores completed for the weekend. I live in Sacramento, in Northern California, and it has been raining on and off for the last week so driving has been difficult as residents here forget that water occasionally falls from the sky. I've aslo had my BB hanging in my backyard from the last post of my patio awning to a lemon tree at the fence line with my MacCat Deluxe in SpinnUL over it for almost a month. Sadly, I've been just too busy to use it much at all, but with all the chores done, mostly, and some eggnog with burboun and brandy making my eyelids heavy I looked to the BB. Luckly for me it hadn't rained in a few hours and the ground was beggining to dry. The sun was barely peeking out of the clouds and a few winter birds even graced me in song. With my bag pulled up as a quilt and a pillow under my head it didn't take long for me to drift off to sleep. Ahhhhhh, that deep, restful sleep only a swaying hammock can bring.

As a bird landed in the lemon tree and only slightly brought me from utter bliss I heard the "tap tap tap" of a few drops on my tarp. "Probably just the wind blowing water out of the tree." I thought as a light gust had just blown under the tarp and lifted it taught. But the drops continued to fall getting heavier every second, and wind pushed down on the side of the tarp pressing it into the hammock. The rain began to fall harder and harder while the wind swayed the tree back and forth; picking the hammock up and dropping it with each sway. I was fully awake now, watching the tarp lift and fall like lungs expanding and contracting violently. I began to think the tarp would rip if the stakes didn't give out first. I couldn't believe that less than Twenty seconds earlier the sun had been out and the birds singing, and now it began to hail. Pea-sized ice balls pelted the tarp which only increased the noise that sounded like cracking thunder. My wife came outside to marvel at the sudden ferocity of the weather and only smiled at me as I leaned my head out of the hammock - a prisoner under my shelter. As she watched me, I became amazed that I hadn't gotten a drop of water or ice on me even though the wind was blowing sideways under the tarp. Just as quickly as it had began the hail and wind ceased, and all became calm again. My wife muttering about the crazy weather returned to the house, and I tryed to drift back to sleep while still thinking how quickly the weather had changed. Two minutes was all it lasted, but as the water from the gutters poured out of the downspout with the sound of leaking water, I knew I had to get up and use the restroom and tighten the tarp that had taken such a thrashing. On the way back to my BB I thought I would sit and write this to share with you all. The ice has maelted as fast as it landed so I have no pics or video to share just a crazy memory now.

I love to lay out in the rain and listen to the patter on the tarp - protected under a cozy shelter. That is where I am returning now, but I'm not sure if I can sleep again. Mabey I will have to read a book untill I drift off. Untill the next rain.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Beautiful story there.......!!!!!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Good in the Backwood Hood.

Shug's YouTube Videos

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by gRaFFiX View Post
    I live in Sacramento, in Northern California, and it has been raining on and off for the last week so driving has been difficult as residents here forget that water occasionally falls from the sky. . . .

I love to lay out in the rain and listen to the patter on the tarp - protected under a cozy shelter. That is where I am returning now, but I'm not sure if I can sleep again. Mabey I will have to read a book untill I drift off. Untill the next rain.
    Maybe this will help:

Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    DIY "The Crippler"
    Tarp
    "Cuben Refugee"
    Insulation
    DIY "The Ex-gf"
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great story dude. Felt like I was right there with ya.

Trevor

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    It's funny how Bradley (and so many others) think of that song as testimonial to how it never rains in southern Cali, but if you listen to the lyrics the song says the opposite.

It's raining all over - south, north and central, everywhere in California, except for where it's snowing. Trees are coming down and rocks are sliding. Drive safe, stay warm, merry Christmas!

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Beautiful story there.......!!!!!
    Shug
    Thank you kindly Shug. Means alot comin from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Maybe this will help:

Haha that's funny cause it's how everyone thinks it outta be. They get biblical rainstorms tho. glad I don't live there!

Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Great story dude. Felt like I was right there with ya.

Trevor
    Thanks, I try to write it that way to get the reader involved. Im glad you evjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    It's funny how Bradley (and so many others) think of that song as testimonial to how it never rains in southern Cali, but if you listen to the lyrics the song says the opposite.

It's raining all over - south, north and central, everywhere in California, except for where it's snowing. Trees are coming down and rocks are sliding. Drive safe, stay warm, merry Christmas!
    I'm glad I don't live in SoCal, as the rains are worse with their soil. It hasn't rained since this story here, but I'm looking forward to lots more. My setup held fast and is ready for another storm. I will be safe and you do the same. Merry Christmas everyone!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    We have gotten 7 inches since Friday with more on the way. The Traveler is set up dry on the Vario under my porch cover. The sound of continuous rain (not on a tarp) combined with the sway of the hammock is like being shot with a tranquilizer dart. More rain on the way...think I'll set up the WBBB next!
    Mark is the name and If there is more than one way to understand what I just said....I meant the good one.

Earth First! We'll dirt bike ride the other planets later.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    ...is like being shot with a tranquilizer dart
    That's a great way to put it.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    We have gotten 7 inches since Friday with more on the way. The Traveler is set up dry on the Vario under my porch cover. The sound of continuous rain (not on a tarp) combined with the sway of the hammock is like being shot with a tranquilizer dart. More rain on the way...think I'll set up the WBBB next!
    7" wow. We're not that far, and we have less than .5" for the last 3 days! Of course, it's been nearly constant drizzle...

That said, I spent last night out in my DIY, in my PHS, with my DIY DWR tarp... Yes a DWR tarp and not a drop came through... :-)

Thanks for sharing!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    My bad (older report and it meant YTD), our recent rains took us to 8.67" from a normal annual average of 6.10". Yesterday gave us a Dec 18th record (for this area) of 1.14".
    Mark is the name and If there is more than one way to understand what I just said....I meant the good one.

Earth First! We'll dirt bike ride the other planets later.