Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Probably won't really feel that relief until you make it out of GA. I know I wouldn't! Resignation is a big step!

Mine's coming in 10 more years! I'll hang vicariously through you this year, though - gonna keep a good journal like Coffee?
    Yeah it's a big step, but I needed to do it even if I wasn't going hiking. Ten years at one place in the financial field is pretty close to career suicide paycheck wise.

Oh yes, I will certainly be keeping a journal. I'm an avid writer in normal life, so keeping a Trail Journal will be a good connection to normality while I'm out there. I can only hope it will be of Coffee Caliber.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Yeah it's a big step, but I needed to do it even if I wasn't going hiking. Ten years at one place in the financial field is pretty close to career suicide paycheck wise.

Oh yes, I will certainly be keeping a journal. I'm an avid writer in normal life, so keeping a Trail Journal will be a good connection to normality while I'm out there. I can only hope it will be of Coffee Caliber.
    Change can be good. Much to my wife's chagrin, I've not stayed in the same job for more than 9 years. And the 9-year stint was in her hometown. Note to anyone who is interested : you may never be forgiven for dragging your wife away from family and friends at home, merely for the sake of your sanity at work. Tradeoffs. In year 5 at the current place, might actually finish out the career here. Except it's so much overhead to get to interesting outdoor recreation

Coffee taps out his postings on a PDA or smartphone with those tiny keyboards. I can't imagine doing that, I especially can't imagine doing that if the keyboard isn't QWERTY. If that resonates with you, check out something like the iGo bluetooth keyboard. . 6 oz. $60 at Amazon. One reviewer said he can type with it on his lap...

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    At this point I'm planning on going 'old school'. I truly enjoy the feel and 'vibe' of writing my thoughts. Not to mention the fact that many of my thoughts will not be available for public consumption. I really don't want to keep two separate journals so I plan to post edited versions of my written journal when I'm in town.

I tried a PocketMail thing-a-ma-bob; my fingers are way too chubby for that tech. and I don't know if the cheapo prepaid phone that I'll get will be bluetooth capable. However for $60, if it is I might try it. Beats waiting for the library to open. Thanks for the link!
    Trust nobody!

Images
    I looked at a couple diffferent journal options. Pocketmail is the best I came up with at the time. The problem with the cell phone that I had is that I had to have a cell phone signal to compose anything. Plus battery life is more of an issue on that. I get 3 to 4 weeks out of a set of pocketmail 2 AA batteries. Ebay has good deals on them, I think i paid $25 for mine. It also made keeping up with people a lot easier. You might want to pick up a cheap phone card. There was a couple places including where I got off that I had to make a phone call and did not get cell phone service. No cell phone service in towns like Fontana ****, Hot Springs, Damascus. Good call on the prepaid. I think that is the way to go if you are going to use it sparingly.

Like everything else do what will make you happy when you get home and think back on your hike. Outside of the Cyber relm I only saw a few people that were diehard about anything. Everyone else just seemed to go with it and have fun.

On a related note, if everything keeps up on my end I am going to head back out on Monday. The ankle is feeling a lot better. Going to go for a walk around the hometown tomorrow.
    Last edited by Coffee; 01-02-2008 at 12:31.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    That is kind of neat. My little (younger) brother whittled me a small token about 3.5" long with my Trailname and a little skull on the top. It's a waste of grams, but I'm taking it to hang from my tarp with pride.
    My trailname toy is at least not a waste of weight. Skidsteer made me a stove with the AT symbol on the bottom of it and a from/to thingie.

Those of you who don't know Skids should find a way to meet him. He's one of the real good guys out there, and makes some killer stoves.

Images
    I'll be on the At in 08 but if I'm on schedule, I should be ahead of the mass exodus from Springer. I feel you pain about the resignation. I thought I was going to throw up as I was handing mine in to my supervisor. Almost as bad as when I proposed to my wife, though not quite. You'll be fine and there are always jobs to be had. I'm not above doing much of anything until the right job comes along at the end of my hike. That thought has given me a lot of comfort in the past few months. Hang in there! (pun intended).
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Can anyone recommend a good section hike for the late May to mid July time frame? I've never been in the east so I don't know much about the trail. Just looking for some quality in-the-woods time. I look forward to seeing folks out there!

Images
    im going SOBO in 2008 after june 1st.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Homemade Quilts
    I'm planning on leaving Springer in early April for a month or so section hike north. Hope to see some of you fine hangers...

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    I am thinking of doing a few weekend hikes with my boys this year. Might work on New Jersey or PA sections this year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast