Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

Stretchy? Nylon vs. Polyester Strapworks

Let's talk stretch.

I'm looking for a new set of treestraps.

My experiences with webbing are:

-Warbonnet stock treestraps
    -Warbonnet webbing suspension
    -AHE camo treestraps
    -box store tow straps
    -unknown webbing from the local outfitter

Now, lets talk about what I like and dislike:

-The Warbonnet webbing is too stretchy for my liking and the treestraps are a bit too short for some of the trees I encounter.
    -AHE camo treestraps are no stretch (awesome) but thick (not necessarily a bad thing).
    -box store tow straps are extremely lightweight and no stretch but not very abrasion resistant.
    -unknown webbing is waaaaaaaaaaay stretchy (lowered me to the ground from a perfect setup height and angle.

So, I'm looking to place an order for new treestraps from Strapworks so as to allow me to color code my head and foot end and they are the only webbing distributer that has multiple colors of webbing.

Now, what do I want that wont stretch and/or what are the pros and cons of the below materials.

Polypro - probably the unknown stretchy webbing mentioned above? Although Strapworks says Heavyweight polypropylene is our most popular webbing for outdoor use. It has excellent UV protection, low stretch, and does not absorb water quickly giving it a better resistance to mildew and rot. From what I know, I thought Polypro is the stretchiest of all the materials?

Nylon (according to Strapworks - Nylon stretches when it gets wet, so a nylon strap will not stay tight in the rain or on a river trip. Is this going to stretch too much?

Polyester - according to Strapworks - Polyester combines many of the benefits of both polypro and nylon without some of the negatives. It has a 3800 lb breaking strength, low water absorption, rot and mildew resistance, and has 5 times the abrasion resistance of polypro with a softer feel. (not as soft as nylon). The 1 inch polyester is perfect for cam straps and ratchet straps.

What to go with?

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I think Albert Skye had a post in which he weighed each of the webbing and found Hennessy Poly to be the lightest and AHE to be a close second.

I use AHE with a whoopie when hiking, but at home I switch back to Warbonnet's straps and buckles.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I found my Warbonnet straps never stretched. Maybe you got newer stock?

I'd go with the polyester. I've never had any luck with nylon straps that I have tried in the past. I have heard that polypo stretches but is does not stretch back after use unlike nylon.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have and use the stock straps on my Blackbird and have never encountered any streching and I weigh 275 lbs so I would know if they streached.

I also use a set of straps from Arowhead and polyester straps from Strapworks on my other hammocks and have not had any issues with these either.

I got the 1" inch tan polyester Jolly Roger w/sword and digital cammo from strap works. When they ask long big do you want the loop size, they mean just that. http://www.strapworks.com/product_p/pepr1.htm

the only downside to the Strapworks straps is while they are thicker and are also heavier than the Arrowhead or Warnonnet straps

I am also a big fan of Dutch Clips

Arrowhead strap img with Dutch Clip
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 12-26-2010 at 11:08.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I have and use the stock straps on my Blackbird and have never encountered any streching and I weigh 275 lbs so I would know if they streached.
    I will have to test this again, but I put up a hammock with the Warbonnet treestraps, then compared with the box store tow straps and there was a perceivable difference in stretch. I'll post back when I test this out again.

I weigh 260 lbs. and also notice stretch that's why I am determined to find a set that don't stretch.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Tendertoe:
    I outweigh you by 40 lbs and use the Straqpworks 1" Polyester Seatbelt webbing for my tree straps and I am having no issue with them in any way. I have used the AHE and Warbonnet straps as well and had no issue with those straps as well. I only swapped out to the Strapworks straps because they came in a stealthy tan color!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Poly/polypro will stretch and stop stretching. Nylon never stops stretching.

I have Strapworks tree huggers and Warbonnet straps - the Strapworks poly is the heavier of the two. If/when I get 'round to ordering another set I'll pick up some from AHE.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images

Smile

Just bought some AHE polyester straps, and asked to have the loops sewn in using red/grey threead to show which was head/foot. I use the cinch buckle plates and find that AHE did a quality job bar tacking the whole thing together. Looks awesome, weighs nothing, and no stretch. I'd throw a weight up, but I dont have a scale. Short story, great replacement for the stock warbonnet webbing.

Last edited by dant8ro; 12-26-2010 at 12:08. Reason: Add pics.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by dant8ro View Post
    Just bought some AHE polyester straps, and asked to have the loops sewn in using red/grey threead to show which was head/foot. I use the cinch buckle plates and find that AHE did a quality job bar tacking the whole thing together. Looks awesome, weighs nothing, and no stretch. I'd throw a weight up, but I dont have a scale. Short story, great replacement for the stock warbonnet webbing.

Wow. This looks like my solution. I liked the camo ahe ones I tried the best and just wanted color coordination. Thanks!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    I really liked the effect too, might have to send off an email to specify that you want two colours of stitching. Would be cool to add it to the options page for the webbing on Arrowhead. Oh and also, I use small chain links on the AHE buckles to attach to my hammock, one is black (AHE default) and the other is made out of Red Amsteel 7/64ths. That way the colour co-ordination is doubled.
    Last edited by dant8ro; 12-26-2010 at 13:21. Reason: Addition.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast