DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Ive used my buddy's lost ranger and it was nice once you were in a bit better than my setup with my cheap o guide series bag. I'm itching to try a UQ but I'm the one who started the hammock trend in our circle and whoopees, and septate tarp ridge line... So I'll probably have to start that the UQ fad too.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    The 20" wide pads that fit in the regular BA bags just aren't wide enough so I get cold shoulders ... even just now while I was fooling around in the basement. I just tried the BA bag with no pad in the sleeve (pulled a chest muscle squirming around trying to get in it

I put a wide Neoair in the double layer hammock which I like but the combo didn't work well.

Back to the drawing board.

I have over the last couple of evenings, placed one of the windshield thingies just under my shoulders and elbows and that has helped with my Big Agnes.

Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    The 20" wide pads that fit in the regular BA bags just aren't wide enough so I get cold shoulders ... even just now while I was fooling around in the basement. I just tried the BA bag with no pad in the sleeve (pulled a chest muscle squirming around trying to get in it

I put a wide Neoair in the double layer hammock which I like but the combo didn't work well.

Back to the drawing board.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Images
    New guy here. This thread is great, as I've been pondering this very same questions. With no hanging experience I'm trying to gather as much info from here as possible. I have a BA down bag and air core pad. Gonna try that set up, but I am also gonna try the idea somebody had of cutting a pad down to put in the BA sleeve. Apparently its not an issue but is there any chance of the zipper from the bag damaging the hammock if there was some tossing and turning going on during the night?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt-Kevlar View Post
    New guy here. This thread is great, as I've been pondering this very same questions. With no hanging experience I'm trying to gather as much info from here as possible. I have a BA down bag and air core pad. Gonna try that set up, but I am also gonna try the idea somebody had of cutting a pad down to put in the BA sleeve. Apparently its not an issue but is there any chance of the zipper from the bag damaging the hammock if there was some tossing and turning going on during the night?
    From what I have read here, it is a toss-up on that one. I don't intend to cut the zipper off of my BA just in case I need to go to ground...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Get the UQ and don't look back. I have two CCF and two Big Agnes PrimaLoft fill pads. It was a struggle to keep any of them placed well enough for comfort and they rob some of the hammock feel. Got a AHE NR DW UQ (wheew, acronym overload!!) and the difference is like night and day. My next UQ will prolly be a 3 season Incubator.

Hammock
    GT UL, Multiple DIY
    Tarp
    I like DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    Get the UQ and don't look back. ... and the difference is like night and day. My next UQ will prolly be a 3 season Incubator.
    +1 Got a 3S Incubator and I use my BA Lost Ranger as a top quilt and/or bag as the notion and temperature strike me. I keep my Insulated Aircore with me as emergency insulation or my go to ground pad and the system all works together perfectly (for me).

-jeff

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    I'll agree on all that. I tried many combinations of different pads with and without the UQ and I'll say forget the trouble just buy a nice UQ. You won't regret it.

I had a 3 season Mamba TQ but it's too warm for my normal camping temps so I sold it. I'll get a 40F TQ and keep my Big Agnes bag for when it's colder and if it's really cold I'll combine them.

I've got a Summer Crowsnest on the way to compliment my 3 season UQ but I'm not sure I'll even need it. Maybe keep both to combine depending on expected temps so there's still experimenting to be done.

I'm going to carry my Neoair pad on the bike for emergency groundings.

Now I'm working on a tarp ... I think it's going to be nice and different from anything I've seen so far

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    WB Winter UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    I've spent about 50 nights in my WBBB with a Big Agnes Encampment and an Insulated Air Core Pad. I've had to be pretty creative in order to stay warm, using Wally World Pads configured to be like a Speer Pad Extender, in order to provide additional side insulation; a space blanket to provide more reflective heat savings; and even one of those 5 x 7 tarps that has reflective material on one side. - I got by, but it's a pain having to zip up a sleeping bag when I'm in a hammock, as well as having to blow up a sleeping pad, and having to lug around extra insulation stuff.

Finally I just saw the proverbial light that everyone seems to see if they keep hanging in there, and I got an underquilt and overquilt (Warbonnet Winter Yeti, and a Winter Long Mamba, which Brandon is now making 55 inches wide so that people stay well-covered when then move about at night)

Wow! Why did I wait so long? I tried it out in a snowstorm with 55 mph winds at about 15ºF, and was toasty with a short piece of Walmart blue 1/2 foam under my feet and knees. So much more comfortable than an air pad under me which I could only partially inflate anyway.

The icing on the cake was that in the morning I got to see a mountain lion running through the snow through a beautiful pine forest!
    "Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything."
    ...Charles Kuralt

Hammock
    WB BrownBird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / Yeti
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbin'
    I use a Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15* om my WBBB and it was excellent on my last trip. Got down into the low teens with 30 mph gusts and I was toasty in my smartwool midweight baselayer, I even had to unzip and vent during the night. I use a ridgerest in the sleeve and a homemade wingpad in the double layer.

I got the left hand zip bag for ease of entry with my WBBB, I had no trouble getting in and out, the pillow pocket is great and stays put, and fully zipped with the draft collar I feel like I could go into the single digits. Also, this is a much roomier bag than any mummy style I have ever used, I don't feel nearly as restricted as most bags would be in a hammock. If you want a bag for hammocking I think you would be hard pressed to do much better than a BA. A wingpad is essential with this set up though, and all those pads are bulky.

I will be ordering a Yeti UQ soon and have a lightweight 40* TQ for warmer temps, but I plan on bringing the BA and a CCF along for my cold weather needs for a long time to come. I also like that if I ever am unable to hang I have a great bag to go to ground. I just posted a trip report and there are pics of my set up if you want to check it out.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12