Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Michigan Winter Overnight

So I'm thinking about doing an overnight in this Michigan winter stuff. Sitting back and thinking about my gear I'm wondering what I need to do to be able to go down to a possible 10 degrees or lower. Average low in January here is 10 to 20 degrees. So what else would I need?

I have a Warbonnet Blackbird, Big Mamajamba Tarp that can be pitched right down to the ground, a Stormcrow 3 season Crowsnest UQ, a 3 season Burrow TQ, and a Gossamergear 1/4 pad in the footbox.

I plan on sleeping in REI heavyweight long underwear (zip top and pant), Outdoor Research down sweater, 2 pairs of heavyweight Merino wool socks, REI down booties, balaclava, hat, liner gloves, and a 8x8 warmer. (just like a hand warmer but big and 18 hours of heat) to be used just like a hot water bottle. I was also planning on using my thicker down coat on top of the Gossamergear pad at my feet to provide more insulation there.

(I will possibly have the black rock hat too ... when he has a chance to do a special order).

Would I need to add something to my UQ, like a pad or insultex, or a space blanket or something? I have a Big Agnes pad that could be used on the ground under the hammock to shield the frozen ground under me. Maybe a wool blanket on top of my TQ? My insulation is 3 season not 4, but I want to take it down a notch.

I am also waiting for the doors for my tarp to come off backorder at Warbonnet Outdoors. When they do I will order them too.

So what do ya all think. What else do I need to do?
    Last edited by questtrek; 12-22-2010 at 17:40.
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Images
    Looks like you have a pretty nice kit there.
    The only think I might add would be a small down throw(+3" loft) to the TQ to increase the insulation above you.

Enjoy your trip. Hope you can take a few picts of the outing. Mich wood are so beautiful.

fyi, Putting my ME hat on, cold adsorbs heat it does not radiate.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Being that your quilts are three season, I'd add a pad in the double layer.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Looks like you have a pretty nice kit there.
    The only think I might add would be a small down throw(+3" loft) to the TQ to increase the insulation above you.

Enjoy your trip. Hope you can take a few picts of the outing. Mich wood are so beautiful.

fyi, Putting my ME hat on, cold adsorbs heat it does not radiate.
    yeah ... your right .. I fixed my post. lol
    Questtrek

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    questtrek - if you have a top cover that would help out a little. where are you going? i was thinking about a trip somewhere in the lower and possibly a car camp at tahquamenon falls during the second or third weekend of january

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well, for what it's worth 3 season gear is 3 season gear. For winter you'll need to add more insulation. Definitely add a pad in the hammock and then something else to supplement the 3 season top quilt as well. I was able to do a winter trip last year down to 17F using a 3 season Yeti underquilt and pad along with a JRB Old Rag Mountain top quilt. In addition I slept in three layers of fleece tops, 100 weight REI fleece bottoms and my shell snow pants and I got by comfortably. Not an ideal way to go by any means but it got me through a couple nights anyway.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    If you are car camping, wool blankets and some kind of simple sock, perhaps thrown over your ridge line. These have made a huge difference for me. In fact, I have been hanging this winter with my summer IX TQ as a cover over my hammock hanging from my ridgeline. I think even a blanket would make a big difference. Increased the inside temp by at least 20 degrees.

I had a wool blanket doubled over under my thermarest in the sleeve of my double layer claytor JH, with a 2 layer IX underquilt pulling it all up around me and I have been down to 5 above this year. Waiting for some below 0 stuff to see how far I can push it. On top of me I have a 0 degree rated campmor down bag used open like a TQ. I do think with the sock like enclosure and the wool and thermarest, I could approach below 0 temps.

The first pic you can see my summer TQ draped over the hammock, really helps. Second shows the wool blanket peeking out and the UQ while the last is my thermarest (in a chair kit) laying on top of the wool with the green top layer of the pocket that I lay on. I had these in another post discussing breathing tubes. The whole sock thing really intrigues me for winter camping.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    If you are car camping, wool blankets and some kind of simple sock, perhaps thrown over your ridge line. These have made a huge difference for me. In fact, I have been hanging this winter with my summer IX TQ as a cover over my hammock hanging from my ridgeline. I think even a blanket would make a big difference. Increased the inside temp by at least 20 degrees.

I had a wool blanket doubled over under my thermarest in the sleeve of my double layer claytor JH, with a 2 layer IX underquilt pulling it all up around me and I have been down to 5 above this year. Waiting for some below 0 stuff to see how far I can push it. On top of me I have a 0 degree rated campmor down bag used open like a TQ. I do think with the sock like enclosure and the wool and thermarest, I could approach below 0 temps.

The first pic you can see my summer TQ draped over the hammock, really helps. Second shows the wool blanket peeking out and the UQ while the last is my thermarest (in a chair kit) laying on top of the wool with the green top layer of the pocket that I lay on. I had these in another post discussing breathing tubes. The whole sock thing really intrigues me for winter camping.

How would a BBO from AHE do on top of my hammock, and a pad in between my double layer hammock, plus some more insulation like, a wool blanket under me and on top of my top quilt???
    Questtrek

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I think you would be fine. Test it out at home if you can.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    You have a similar setup to mine, and I was very comfortable in the high 20's. My clothing was a Patagonia down sweater, 220 weight Smartwool top, hiking pants, and a Black Rock Hat. I don't think I would need much more to be comfortable at the 10-20°F range.

When I do my testing at home, I'm going to add a JRB No Sniveller UQ first, then the pad, and if that still won't keep me comfortable I'll use the mummy bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast