Tarp
    Chinook tarp
    Insulation
    dyi UQ
    Suspension
    nylon webbing 4now

Trek light bug netting

Hey guys !

Kind of looking at this one ..I got a 15% off coupon but I'm wondering if I should get it or not ....From the specs they say its about 10 ft long and have lots of space on the bottom .What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance !

http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog...?idproduct=219

Hammock
    WBBB, Trek Light Dbl
    Tarp
    Black WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    If you have a coupon and you're not gonna get a new hammock then I'd say go ahead. I'm just not a big fan of the white.

Also if you are going to be in a buggy area then of course this is a good thing to get. If you camp in areas with no bugs, then you probably don't need it.

Hammock
    WBBB, Trek Light Dbl
    Tarp
    Black WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    I don't know if that helped or made the decision harder.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I have one, can't say I'm thrilled with it.

It is basically a netting tube with cinch cords at the ends. There is a steep learning curve to getting in and out while keeping it well sealed. It's also fairly heavy if memory serves. The light colored netting also does a magnificent job of obscuring one's view from inside. I didn't give the net much of my time, so it might get better with use. For a hiking net, no way! Then again, Trek Light's line-up is generally more suited/geared towards campers, not hikers.

I'm a fan of Trek Light and I think Seth is a pretty top-notch fella, but on the bug-netting, IMO, it was a swing and a miss.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I like discounts. If you don't have one already and aren't going to DIY, I would go for it. I haven't used it, but I do know that white is supposed to repel mosquitoes. Unless you DIY, there isnt a whole lot cheaper choices out there.

Hammock
    WBBB, Trek Light Dbl
    Tarp
    Black WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

It is basically a netting tube with cinch cords at the ends. There is a steep learning curve to getting in and out while keeping it well sealed. It's also fairly heavy if memory serves. The light colored netting also does a magnificent job of obscuring one's view from inside. I didn't give the net much of my time, so it might get better with use. For a hiking net, no way! Then again, Trek Light's line-up is generally more suited/geared towards campers, not hikers.

I'm a fan of Trek Light and I think Seth is a pretty top-notch fella, but on the bug-netting, IMO, it was a swing and a miss.
    You said what I wasn't going to. But agreed on all points.

What I ended up doing is ordering bugnetting fabric and I sewed onto my trek light a bug net. I notice you did a DIY hammock. If you feel confident about it then maybe you want to try the same. You can find fabric online that's 160 inches wide so you can run it with no seams.

Hammock
    DD travel hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook tarp
    Insulation
    dyi UQ
    Suspension
    nylon webbing 4now

Thanks for that....I am going to hike ...and I do have a dyi hammock I would make my own but I think with shipping would cost me just as much ...do you have any recommendations?

Thanks gain!!

Hammock
    DD travel hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook tarp
    Insulation
    dyi UQ
    Suspension
    nylon webbing 4now
    Quote Originally Posted by redeye View Post
    You said what I wasn't going to. But agreed on all points.

What I ended up doing is ordering bugnetting fabric and I sewed onto my trek light a bug net. I notice you did a DIY hammock. If you feel confident about it then maybe you want to try the same. You can find fabric online that's 160 inches wide so you can run it with no seams.

Thanks Red no worries this is a whole new thing for me ...Just because its a deal doesn't mean its great

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    do you have any recommendations?
    My biggest complaint about it is the manner in which it closes/opens. I simply don't like it and I feel like a mentally handicapped Yoga instructor trying to get it to work. If you've got the skills, a zippered entry/exit would be much more convenient. The low visibility is going to be something you just have to deal with; it isn't as terrible as I made it sound. The weight, well it just makes you stronger!

It does a fine job of keeping the bugs out. A few tweaks and it would be at least functional and at a very good price.
    Off the shelf, I'd save pennies for another option. Particularly as a hiker!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DD travel hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook tarp
    Insulation
    dyi UQ
    Suspension
    nylon webbing 4now
    My biggest complaint about it is the manner in which it closes/opens. I simply don't like it and I feel like a mentally handicapped Yoga instructor trying to get it to work. If you've got the skills, a zippered entry/exit would be much more convenient. The low visibility is going to be something you just have to deal with; it isn't as terrible as I made it sound. The weight, well it just makes you stronger!

It does a fine job of keeping the bugs out. A few tweaks and it would be at least functional and at a very good price.
    Off the shelf, I'd save pennies for another option. Particularly as a hiker!
    Thanks I was also looking at the eno bug net as well ....Looks a bit better ...I don't want to spend to much money but I don't like yoga either LOL so having said that I might move on .I might get this instead .

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...n-bug-net.html

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast