DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It is good that the Rangers have bundles of wood available, but we will do much better to bring our own. Much more cost effective.
    Maybe at least two can volunteer to bring some fire wood in addition to Hanging burritos cabinet doors.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Just make sure you're not in a Emerald Ash Borer Area, if you're planning on bringing firewood.
    I have to regretfully change my RSVP to no, as I'm now going to be skiing at Snowshoe Mtn. in WV. I was on a waiting list, and an opening came up.
    I'm really torn as to which I want to go to more, but it's pretty much the only time I'll get to go skiing this year. Really wish I could come, especially with the new location and all, I think it's really exciting!

Regretfully,
    PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DOUBLE
    Tarp
    WB SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    IN SEARCH OF!
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Here is both a current shot & the latest 24hr video cam from the Ranger's office near the fee booth.
    http://www.graysonfriends.org/pages/ww.html
    Sure is dark! LOL!
    Tony a.k.a. bugman0914

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    Just make sure you're not in a Emerald Ash Borer Area, if you're planning on bringing firewood.
    I have to regretfully change my RSVP to no, as I'm now going to be skiing at Snowshoe Mtn. in WV. I was on a waiting list, and an opening came up.
    I'm really torn as to which I want to go to more, but it's pretty much the only time I'll get to go skiing this year. Really wish I could come, especially with the new location and all, I think it's really exciting!

Regretfully,
    PF
    True about the fire wood. It should be easy enough to look it up & see what areas are considered to have the Emerald Ash Borer.
    Mater a fact, I clicked on your link & I see it gives maps for different states effected, including two counties in VA. We sure don't want to be spreading those little devils.
    Sorry you can't make it man.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bugman0914 View Post
    Sure is dark! LOL!
    Yeah, but it'll be light in the morning... I hope
    Click on the 2nd (smaller) video & it shows a 24 hour time lapse.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Ahh, wish you could come, but have fun skiing! Thanks for your help, maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post

Regretfully,
    PF
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Cool. Great location, glad things could be worked out. A big THANK YOU to all those involved in making this happen.

I'm somewhat disappointed that I don't get to hike in with my new pulk, but this does open up more options. I'm even considering bringing along a kid or two. Probably won't, but it wasn't even an option before.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Just 26 days to prepare for a wonderful time at the Mt Rogers Hangout.

FYI / Reminder: The hangout this year will be at the group campground in the Grayson Highlands state park. The group CG is behind the camp store across the street from "Our" parking lot.

• There is a pot luck dinner on Saturday, usually starting around 4 PM (1600) & lasting until the food is gone or at least nearly so.
    • A raffle sponsored by JRB (with the help / donations from others at HF) is held just after (During?) dinner & this year will be at the amphitheater in the Group CG, , , probably.
    • Water availability will be limited, but can be had at the ranger station passed on the way in to the campground about a mile away. I plan on bringing mine in a cooler left in my car, will likely have a heat pack under it to keep it from freezing.
    • It WILL be cold, there MAY be snow, in fact there is snow on the ground right now at the ranger station. It MAY be VERY windy.
    • For those arriving Thursday, the CG will be open for you if you want. Firewalker & I are planning on hiking in a few miles, maybe as far as the Scales, on Thursday. Might even go to Rhododendron Gap then hit the top of Mt Rogers before heading down to the hangout.
    • There are a LOT of trails for day hiking in the area, 2 start at the campground.
    • We are getting a port a potty to be parked at the parking lot. The campground toilets are closed for the winter.
    Last edited by Doctari; 12-27-2010 at 11:41. Reason: Formatting (easier to read)
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Freezing water supplies in camp could be dealt w/ in a number of ways.
    I think one good way might be the cooler or other large container that is insulated or that you can insulate. Having a large enough opening were you could occasionally pour a pot of boiling water to keep the water temp up might be handy. We can keep a few pots of hot water on the edge of the fire if it's that cold.

When I hiked down the trail from the parking lot last Sun (Dec 19) there was about 6-8" or more of snow. I'll betcha there's quite a bit more there now & I wouldn't be surprised if there's that much or more at the end of Jan.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Group campsite at GHSP

An overhead view from Google Earth.

Parking A is the gravel parking area at the trail head leading to Wise Shelter, slightly up hill & might hold about 6-7 cars?
    Probably better for 4-wheel drives.

Parking B is paved, level & holds approximately 8 cars?
    Best parking for cars.

Parking C is paved but down hill. We'll see what the rangers suggest about it's use. It might hold another 5-6 cars.

I'm just guessing by memory on the size of the parking areas. The Rangers can be more accurate & suggest additional parking if needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast