Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Back to Camping!

After many years avoiding camping because of chronic back pain, I have been forced to return to the woods as a scout leader. (okay forced is not really the word, I am a Cub Scout, Girl Scout and 4H leader) I tried the portable ground shelter (I've been told to avoid using it's 4 letter name) , but found that I still awoke with pain that reduced my effectiveness with the kids.

After a trip a few weeks ago, I thought that we should recruit a Chiropractor's kid, but couldn't find any.

A friend had created a DIY Hammock setup and suggested that I give it a try (Okay, I asked him first). He had posted asking others how the hammocks effected their back pain. All was positive.

My wife's response when I wanted to purchase a hammock setup wasn't quite so positive. She viewed that as a lot of money without ever trying to hang. So I began to construct a complete DIY setup. I've been able to go from a 12 pound ground setup to a 4 pound hanger! I love the reduction in weight. By DIYing the project, I've also been able to add custom amenities that made the near equal cost (but increased labor) worth the effort.

I finished about 3 weeks ago and took it to the woods the first time for some scout training. As I hung the hammock for the first time in actual camping, I found a low hanging branch on a tree and sliced a 2 inch cut in my head (no hair, no protection from scratches). After controlling the bleeding, I spent my first night in the hammock and woke for the first time in 10 years without back pain. The second night was the same. I'm hooked (double entendre intended)!

My son and I hung the following weekend in the woods near my home to try a double hang under a single tarp. If it didn't work, it was a simple walk home in the middle of the night to re-engineer. With a spacer bar, everything was excellent and now he's hooked as well. Now that I have the proper spacing, I'm looking to construct with lighter materials (a carbon fiber pole with eye hooks)

Thank you to everyone in these forums! While I have been lurking and not really adding my $.02 I have been very busy learning! I've recently ordered some equipment from Dutch as his innovations are too great to DIY. I've also just ordered an underquilt from Hammockgear for use in the fall. I have a number of trips planned for the next few months, and am planning on hanging, even when other facilities are available.

I am trying to find a way to hang at work as well (I'm a stay at home dad by day, paramedic by night). This no back pain thing is cool!

I am very happy that Mousekowitz turned me onto this great way to get back in the woods and your wonderful forum! Thank you all!

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Welcome, AHD!!!! Great intro! (Sorry about the noggin! )
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome to the Forums from Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    My back feels better after a night hanging than it does when I climb off my $1600 super duper memory foam mattress (I can't convince the wife of that though).

Sorry about the noggin....I feel your pain. Being "follicly challenged" sucks. I'm working on a decade or so without a haircut that didn't come from a razor. Hats are your friend!!

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard, your back will love you. Your wife may have a different opinion. Recently put a $1000 100% latex out by the road to be hauled off and have a $1200 memory foam in the rv that I'll never sleep on again. I LOVE my $25 DIY fulltime hammock.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY SL/DL Ripstop/DIY Taffeta
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/HH Hex
    Insulation
    PLTQ/Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/M Spk
    Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeDad View Post
    I am trying to find a way to hang at work as well (I'm a stay at home dad by day, paramedic by night). This no back pain thing is cool!
    Awesome! The guys at the fire house are digging down deep to figure out a way to "get" me in the middle of the night. Ever since I made mine I have hung in the bay from a reserve rig and a support beam. I'm never in the hammock when they try. I hear them coming and slip out with cat like stealth and ambush them every time. Oh how i love hammocks!

Be safe!
    It's a hammock thing, you won't understand!

The wife no longer kicks me out of bed after she saw a hammock hanging in the dog house.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Nice to have you here. Welcome, from Ohio.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Welcome from PA. I've been a ground dweller with my scout troop, but now that I have had a successful backpacking hang I plan on hanging on most camp outs from now on.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Great inspiration! Thanks for sharing. I'd be interested to see pictures and more details about the mods to your hammock!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast