Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

New Mexico

I've been poking around New Mexico for the past week, spending one night in the Jemez area (stayed at a campground and dayhiked,) and one 3 day solo backcountry trip in Bandelier National Park.

Jemez was beautiful. Weather in the upper 40's both days I was there, lower 30's the one night I stayed in the campground. Hiked in to Spence Hot Springs (very short walk, but what a great thing to do - soak in a natural hot spring with snow all around. Lots of snow in the high country.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tadpaav...7625656705462/

Left after Spence and made the drive over to Bandelier. Beautiful area, got there around 2:00, and made my first camp only 2 miles in. Cold, clear night with a huge full moon. This was the night of the eclipse, and I was stoked to be out, camping under ancient cave dwellings. I was the only person in the backcountry for the entire time I was out, and the park rangers thought I was a little crazy for going out in the cold and snow. They actually freaked me out a little, talking about all the snow (they said a foot) and how cold it was up in the mountains. I actually decided to wear my mukluks in, based on their descriptions of the snow in the backcountry. We'll get to that in a second. So I found a spot just as the sun was setting, literally had caves right above me, and laid down in my hammock to wait for the eclipse. Only problem was that was so comfortable in my hammock, I fell asleep by 7:00 PM and woke up too late. The moon was blazing, not a cloud in the sky, and I missed it!

So, the mukluks. Mukluks are made for cold, for powder, for ice. They are not made for the slushy wet 2-5 inches of snow they had here in New Mexico. Halfway in I realized I had made a mistake, but decided to gut it out and wear them anyway. Mukluks soak up water like crazy, and there were 23 river crossings (7 the first day) and a lot of slushy snow. By the time I made my first camp, my feet were swimming and my mukluks weighed about 10 lbs each. And they don't dry easily, especially when it is in the upper 20s.

Day two, I started toward my assigned area, 12 miles into the backcountry. Around river crossing 18, the frozen ice on top of the rocks in the middle of the river collapsed as I was hopping across, and both boots went into the water. Now I was REALLY wet, and in the middle of a no camping area, with 10 miles still to go. I made the next camping zone and the sun was out, so I decided to try to dry things out, and then just decided to stay there. It was a beautiful spot, and I wasn't trying to kill miles, just spend some time solo in the woods. I was disappointed that I didn't get to see some of the things I had planned on, but there was no way I was going to make it that far in those boots, and I was still in the backcountry and having a great time, even if my feet were a swollen soggy mess. And then it started raining. It rained most of the night, and started back up in the morning as I was packing up. But I enjoyed every minute, and have the pics to prove it! I have video as well, but it will take some time to edit, and with me on the road, it may take a while.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tadpaav...7625531191197/

I highly recommend the backcountry here. The only problem is that there are no fires allowed. I missed my campfire. But it is a beautiful place, and I plan to finish it. I will be back.

In Santa Fe right now, planning my next hike and watching the weather.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great pics, I'm jealous!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    They don't call New Mexico the "Land of Enchantment" for nothing! I've been there and it does fell different. I really like NM! Glad you had a great time (except for the boots).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Great report and pictures. I agree with you New mexico is a fantastic. I have been lucky enough to get out a few times in the Lincoln National Forest. It's looking like I may get back to New Mexico this coming year. I hope to squeeze in a few hiking and hanging when I do.
    Terry

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    . . . By the time I made my first camp, my feet were swimming and my mukluks weighed about 10 lbs each. And they don't dry easily, especially when it is in the upper 20s.
    . . . The only problem is that there are no fires allowed. I missed my campfire..
    So I need to know - if they don't allow fires, how did you dry out . . .

or was it they don't allow fires . . . but . . . ya gotta dry out, eh

PS awesome photos and you are gutzy
    I think you would make a good back woods buddy.
    hey you made it out alive . . .
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I've been poking around New Mexico for the past week, .
    What an awesome idea!!

I highly recommend the backcountry here. The only problem is that there are no fires allowed. I missed my campfire.
    No fire=NO ROASTED TURKEY!!

seriously, Happy Holidays Tad!!
    I'm looking forward to sharing a fire with you again soon!
    Cheers my friend!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Every trip is an adventure. I always make plans for my trips but if the trip does not go as planned, I still have fun just being out there.

Great trip report and glad you survived your wet feet.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great sets of photos, fin! I especially like those night shots with the stars blazing away. Too bad you missed the eclipse, maybe you can catch the next one...in 2013.

Safe travels and keep posting those pics so we can see what you're up to.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Great adventure Fin ... thanks for sharing the photos. You're right handy with that camera!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    When I was growing up I got to spend a lot of time in New Mexico. I spent weeks at a time wandering around Pecos Wilderness as a teenager. I have great memories of that place. I would like to return sometime. If you get the opportunity to check it out, I highly recommend it. However, this time of year travel would be difficult and the weather is treacherous even in the summer. The Chama River drainage and the Ville Vidal Wilderness are also great. I'm particularly fond of the Sangre de Cristos. Ah, so many nice places in NM. I enjoyed your pictures.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast