Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images

Whiteblaze Hammock Forum Archives

For the new arrivals to hammocking and this hammock forum .... Know that there are years of hammock wealth at Whitebaze on the hammock forum... possibly the best hammock archives at this time...Here is a direct link...http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Enjoy! and welcome to the hanging crowd!

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    For the new arrivals to hammocking and this hammock forum .... Know that there are years of hammock wealth at Whitebaze on the hammock forum... possibly the best hammock archives at this time...Here is a direct link...http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Enjoy! and welcome to the hanging crowd!

Pan
    This is very true. For a lot of you new comers this is something you need to keep in mind. I would prefer that you post here though. I need to talk to SGT Rock about this, but there are a lot of users on WhiteBlaze get sick of all the hammocking threads and replies getting posted. So I want to talk to Rock about maybe eventually closing down that forum or at least pointing a link over here to this web site. I know there will be a lot of mixed feelings if we do this though. I am also undecided about this to. I need to give this some thought.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Going to try and make this point again....

We would all be better off if this forum were back in WhiteBlaze.... the greater community is what brings new life and growth of the hammock community.... Look at the older hammock camping group at yahoo... slow growth and pretty much the same posters...Hammocking is not exclusionary of all the other good discussion relative to the AT and hiking in general...

As a minimum, please don't close the hammock forum on WB.... it will only make it harder for the general AT hiking community to find the "higher way."

Already this forum is lacking the interaction of some of the non hammockers who lurked around the edges and asked questions or stated facts and opinions that challenge our thinking.... This is good for it minimizes "group Think" ... debate works the mind which promotes progress.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    On the other hand, this forum avoids the drudgery of sifting through tons of WB threads that don't interest me...

There's such a huge difference between hanging and ground dwelling that there NEEDS to be a specific place dedicated to hammocks. I would bet that a newbie, coming here, can learn more about hammocking in a day than they could on WB in a month. Especially thanks to the newbie threads added recently.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    I like both options. This forum is still new. I think a lot of people that start a thread on WB may not know about this forum yet. A nice suggestion for those people to come other here for more info helps to get more people onto this forum.

Another thing to consider is the number of threads that have been started over here. I don't remember seeing this much hammock talk over on WB.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I agree with Pan's point. If I were him and had a killer hammock gear biz like he does, I'd want it that way. Even if he had no biz, he makes some great points.
    I also think this site is great. I say keep the whiteblaze site as it is and maybe have some way of flagging people to this site.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like both options as well. Pan makes good points for keeping WB open, and I enjoy posting there b/c I'm also interested in the AT.

On the other hand, I've gotten several PMs from folks here and at other sites about how they don't want to sort through the AT posts, and some about how the tone of WB has changed and they don't like the confrontational aspect that many of the threads take now (that's my word, but it sums up the feelings in the PMs).

So I say keep both options available and let folks participate where they choose.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Jeff, I took your advice on the other thread and unsubscribled to the Politics thread. That made a lot of difference. I also added a couple of the trolls to my ignore list.

Even though I am planning a thru, it is nice to get away from some of the AT talk.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

IMO there is more to WB than AT talk. You have lots of threads on gear, food, other long distance trails, national parks etc.

I think the greater exposure from WB is a positive thing. I really like this site, & the people, and feel like I could go camping with just about anyone here. But e'en though I have been hangin around here since the beginning, I wouldn't even know of this site's existence if I hadn't read about it on WB.

("e'en" was the spell checker's suggestion. I couldn't resist.)

My kingdom for my butt in the woods

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast