Images

HHSS JRB NS combo

I have a HHSS and a JRB No Sniveler and am considering combining them. If I hang the NS, then use the silnylon part of the SS to cover over as a vapor barrier-- I'm wondering if this may cause condensation or be a worthwhile wind/vapor barrier to protect the down quilt?

Any thoughts?

My next outing is Jan 7 - 9, which will be my first winter hike using a hammock. I've been a tarp/ground sleeper for years. The hammock is unquestionably more comfortable - as long as I gleen a many "lessons learned" before heading out and re-learning them for myself. :-)

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Putting the No Sniveler outside the SuperShelter will work, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Putting the No Sniveler outside the SuperShelter will work, though.
    That may be a good deal to help if I head out in temps in the 'teens or lower... will keep that in mind.

Thanks!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cross View Post
    That may be a good deal to help if I head out in temps in the 'teens or lower... will keep that in mind.

Thanks!
    Outside would work fine.

You can put it inside, even though not recommended. But I advise some experimentation before trying it more than one day deep in the woods.

Just like with the regular HHSS, you will need a space blanket/vapor barrier as the layer closest to ( and snug against) your hammock(but not inside with you). Any additional insulation (Nest or otherwise) will go UNDER this SB/VB. And you better know what you are doing with that ( much info at HF on that subject). You will need to make sure that the SB is totally covering the Nest and blocking moisture transfer from your body. If not, as Pan said, you will end up with a wet nest. Moisture vapor from YOU WILL condense after it goes through the Nest and hits the cold HH UC, and soak your Nest. Some folks seem to have no trouble with this approach, others not so much. I actually like to have my EMS Heet Sheet liberally draping over the sides and ends of the HH OCF pad and whatever else is under it.

Also as Pan said, the SS will tend to compress the Nest, especially in certain spots, and you will not get full additive benefit from the Nest.

When kwpapke did minus 27 in a HHSS, he had some sort of thin flexible pad in the UC, with a summer down bag and/or parka on top of that. I suspect the pad's weight caused the UC to sag enough to avoid much compression. Also, you can hang the UC as loose as possible, that also helps some.

You might consider a small mod: sew a loop onto the UC at the low point/entry. Hang a small stuff sack with some weight in it (sand, a jacket, whatever). This will pull the UC away from the hammock allowing more room for lofting down.

Having said all that, one fellow here ( can't remember who) put a Pea Pod down there once, with a space blanket on top. I can't remember if he even bothered with the HH pad. he slept warm and dry in some frigid temps.

Also, GrizzlyAdams did something of this nature one time I think. Seems like all he did was hang the UC as loose as possible.

I have added down vests and fleece jackets to sleep toasty in the teens.

You can always just play with this approach in the safe back yard and see if it works, or if it stinks! Have fun!

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    how did it go? did you use the ns inside or outside the ss?
    Last edited by kobold; 01-19-2011 at 12:27.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kobold View Post
    how did it go? did you used the ns inside or outside the ss?
    Heading out this Fri-Sun. Friday I'm going to put the SS on, then hand the JRB NS UQ under that - loosely. Any issues with that will be adjusted for Saturday. I'm hoping that the first set up will work great. Temps are expected to be around 17F. I'll post a trip report when I get back.

I'm still using the Hex tarp, as my Superfly is still on order. Wish I had door on my tarp, but don't want to wait. Gotta get out when I can!

• + New Posts