HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks

Pa’s Laurel Highlands Trail or Shenandoah NP north and central sections

I was thinking about a south bound thru hike on PA’s Laurel Highlands trail in early June or the north and central sections of Shenandoah NP on the AT, and wanted to know if anyone was interested in going along for all of it, or just a section, as well as any advice or comments on both. My wife wants to go but she’s not sure if she can get off work.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    I was thinking about a south bound thru hike on PA’s Laurel Highlands trail in early June or the north and central sections of Shenandoah NP on the AT, and wanted to know if anyone was interested in going along for all of it, or just a section, as well as any advice or comments on both. My wife wants to go but she’s not sure if she can get off work.
    I have family in Johnstown/Seward where the trail begins and have done some of the LHT. I think that would be a good trail ride into Ohiopyle SP. Have you been on the LHT before? The stone shelters are very nice in the winter months, complete with fireplace. It crosses many roads which make for a variety of ending/bailout points. Culminating at Ohiopyle with a trip down the Yuck would be sweet!

The trick is getting a date established and those that can attend will respond.

I've noticed more and more in western PA are looking at hammock camping. Good hiking out there.

I am working on a April 31-May1 spring "Hang" at Pine Grove Furnace SP. That weekend will be out for me.

You might want to consider placing a poll on the forum asking for interest in a LHT hike around a general date and see what you get.

Good to see you on the forum.
    2Q
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    I did half of the LT due to bridge over turnpike out they have a detour now . Nice trail want to finish someday.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Depending on dates I would be interested. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and see how it develops.
    Terry

I just went to the web site as I haven't heard of this trail, and it looks very interesting, might have to give it a go some day!?
    But I have a question here is a piece from the site:

The Laurel Highlands Trail extends for 70 miles from the 1000 foot deep Conemaugh Gorge near Johnstown to the rugged and pictureseque Youghiogheny River Gorge at Ohiopyle State Park east of Uniontown. There are eight overnight areas, each which contains five shelters, tent pads, two comfort stations and a source of water. These overnight area are not located directly on the trail, but are set back off the trail to retain a wilderness atmosphere. Each shelter is large enough to accommodate 6 people. The overnight areas are situated 8 to 10 miles apart on the trail. Call (724) 455-3744 prior to your trip, for reservations, which are required. A fee is required for reservations.

What is the cost/fee for reservations? Anyone know off hand?

For those whom have hiked it did you have to make a reservation at each shelter?

Just trying to pick your brains a little, as if I can get enough info to peak my interest I will give them a call to get the rest (or do some google foo)!!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks
    You all can tell by my number of post just how much experience I have with these matters. I have no experience planning larger group outings so if anyone wants to jump in and take the lead no harm no foul. I was just throwing it out there to see if anyone wanted to tag along. With that in mind I was thinking about basically a four and a half day trip with four nights out with June 4th-8th or 11th-15th for the dates. Medicjimr is right about the detour, but there is a culvert for the closest stream that passes under the turnpike. I have been using this website www.shol.com/featheredprop/ for a lot of my planning. Dane has a forum on his sight and there are several hikers who have used the culvert with only minor issues. Danes web site is a wealth of logistical knowledge on the trail and I encourage anybody with any interest to check it out.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks
    2Q’s I’ve been to your website and hope to be able to have you all do some work on my hammock before spring gets here. I still am very new to this IT world; it was only last spring that I figured out how to add an attachment to an email. I was a carpenter for seventeen years and didn’t have much need for such knowledge. I will look into how to do polls and such. My wife and I may be able to make it to your spring hang we will have to see how it goes. Merry Christmas to you and yours and peace on earth.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    I just went to the web site as I haven't heard of this trail, and it looks very interesting, might have to give it a go some day!?
    But I have a question here is a piece from the site:

The Laurel Highlands Trail extends for 70 miles from the 1000 foot deep Conemaugh Gorge near Johnstown to the rugged and pictureseque Youghiogheny River Gorge at Ohiopyle State Park east of Uniontown. There are eight overnight areas, each which contains five shelters, tent pads, two comfort stations and a source of water. These overnight area are not located directly on the trail, but are set back off the trail to retain a wilderness atmosphere. Each shelter is large enough to accommodate 6 people. The overnight areas are situated 8 to 10 miles apart on the trail. Call (724) 455-3744 prior to your trip, for reservations, which are required. A fee is required for reservations.

What is the cost/fee for reservations? Anyone know off hand?

For those whom have hiked it did you have to make a reservation at each shelter?

Just trying to pick your brains a little, as if I can get enough info to peak my interest I will give them a call to get the rest (or do some google foo)!!
    Far as I know it is $3 a night for Pa residents and $4 an night for out of state residents. From what I can tell at Danes website www.shol.com/featheredprop/ it makes it sound like you do make individual reservations. Dane said the rangers used to check the shelters every night but rarely if ever do now.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Gris,

I have been wanting to do the LHT for years. I will continue to follow this thread as you hammer out the details and get things nailed down. Sorry! Couldn't help but throw in some carpenter humor

IMHO, the only way to do the LHT is SOUTH bound starting in Johnstown. Yes, "the detour" b/c of the bridge over the T-Pike. Yes, fees...<sigh>... I have day-hiked bits of the LHT and loved it!

Hope you make the combo MAHHA & Ruck at Pine Grove!

Happy New Year!
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

Gris,
    Yea his site is where I found the info, but I am a little confused on the whole registration thing! I went to the PA link site and the way it was broken down was you/I/someone would have to register for every shelter on the specific day you are to arrive at it during your hike and they go into a thing of its best to pay online via credit card, or you can pay at the trailhead, but nothing lists a total price for a thru hike of the trail, as it would make it waaaayyyyy easier to pay and register !

Thats for the reply, keep us posted on your decisions! I am sill trying to iron out my work days off for the year and plan my trips around that!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast