View Poll Results: Which system allows for the easiest and quickest adjustment?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stock spectra & tree huggers

16 21.62%
  • Straps w/Speers 4-way Wrap

7 9.46%
  • Straps w/Buckles

51 68.92%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    I had used the HH tree huggers and spectra line with the recommended figue eight knot until I tried Just Jeff's buckle set up. Buckles win hands down. My grandson uses a similar set but with two "O" rings instead of buckle, a little lighter than buckles. I should add that I did not have problems with the tree huggers and really did not mind using them. I had gotten pretty proficient using them.
    Tell us more about the "O" rings please. I've seen them used before but not applied to anything bearing serious weight. Any problems with slippage or releasing tension? Do you tie an extra knot after the rings as a backup. I'd love to see pictures.

I just switched to a buckle system but find the buckles a bit heavy. They certainly make it simpler to hang and/or adjust. Where can you purchase the "O" rings?

Thanks, Miguel

Images
    You get the good O rings at places that sell boat fittings. You can also get titanium ones. The stainless yacht O rings can handle several tonnes, so you don't really need to worry about strength.

It's basically the same arrangement as was used on belts, backpacks and motorcyle helmets in 'the old days'. They don't really slip unless you use a very slippery material.

To attach them to a line you just make a loop or tie a loopy knot like a bowline, then put the loop through the rings and then the rings through the loop. You could probably get away with a clove hitch around them, but because the rings move against each other a loop is better.

Using O rings or buckles is one of those things that seem brilliant in concept, but they can be eliminated with just a little bit of skill. Once you get the hang of setting things up so that you get it right first time, every time, then they're just an added complication that serves no purpose. Like training wheels on an adult's bike.

Skill doesn't cost or weigh anything, doesn't wear out or break and it takes up no space. Of course, one should never underestimate the universal nature of human stupidity

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    You get the good O rings at places that sell boat fittings. You can also get titanium ones. The stainless yacht O rings can handle several tonnes, so you don't really need to worry about strength.

It's basically the same arrangement as was used on belts, backpacks and motorcyle helmets in 'the old days'. They don't really slip unless you use a very slippery material.

To attach them to a line you just make a loop or tie a loopy knot like a bowline, then put the loop through the rings and then the rings through the loop. You could probably get away with a clove hitch around them, but because the rings move against each other a loop is better.

Using O rings or buckles is one of those things that seem brilliant in concept, but they can be eliminated with just a little bit of skill. Once you get the hang of setting things up so that you get it right first time, every time, then they're just an added complication that serves no purpose. Like training wheels on an adult's bike.

Skill doesn't cost or weigh anything, doesn't wear out or break and it takes up no space. Of course, one should never underestimate the universal nature of human stupidity

Do I smell an old schooler/purist here? (meant in the best possible way of course!) It seems several people on this site have recently ordered buckles. Before I thought they were being innovative but on second thought maybe they're just "stupid" like me! (just kidding) I think I may just give the rings a try. My new moniker could be "Lord of the Rings"!

Thanks for the info, Miguel

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    You left out one option which is very easy - stock straps and cord with a carabineer in the system. Works great for a fast set up and tear down. Wrap the strap around the tree - attach the bineer to the two holes, and then tension the hammock with the rope in the bineer using a non-slip Knot - it goes up fast. And if you have to bug out, you just unhook the bineer from one side of the strap and it is off.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    You left out one option which is very easy - stock straps and cord with a carabineer in the system. Works great for a fast set up and tear down. Wrap the strap around the tree - attach the bineer to the two holes, and then tension the hammock with the rope in the bineer using a non-slip Knot - it goes up fast. And if you have to bug out, you just unhook the bineer from one side of the strap and it is off.
    Hey!! That's a GREAT idea!!! Only thing I can think of that could prevent this from working is if the tree were too large a diameter to be able to clip the biner to the tree hugger holes. The place I go here in Michigan doesn't have very many small diameter trees, but I'm going to start going off the beaten path and stealth camp for now on, which will give me a much larger selection of trees. What load capacity biners do you recommend, what type of gate (wire, bar, screw type). **** Rock, I'm going out for 2 nights on Fri. and Sat. and now I'm going to have to stop at the outfitters before I leave!
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Hey!! That's a GREAT idea!!! Only thing I can think of that could prevent this from working is if the tree were too large a diameter to be able to clip the biner to the tree hugger holes. The place I go here in Michigan doesn't have very many small diameter trees, but I'm going to start going off the beaten path and stealth camp for now on, which will give me a much larger selection of trees. What load capacity biners do you recommend, what type of gate (wire, bar, screw type). **** Rock, I'm going out for 2 nights on Fri. and Sat. and now I'm going to have to stop at the outfitters before I leave!
    It does work well - that's actually how I was doing it from the beginning. It definitely makes takedown quicker. I went away from it because I didn't want to have to take the time to lash and adjust.

You want climbing-rated 'biners for sure. I didn't use a locking-type or anything; pretty much any gate should work. The one snag (literally) that I had was getting the Spectra caught in the gate notch when I tried to slide the Hennessy lashing off the 'biner. You can do it, but it takes some playing with.

Sarge has been using his stock setup all along, though, so he's probably got it down to a science.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Yep, what blackbishop says. I only use this sort of rig at work where getting torn down in a great hurry is a necessity. When I hike I only use the stock set up and save the extra ounces that the caribeeners would add. Always the gram weenie when it comes to hiking. Gotta keep that base weight under 10 pounds.
    NO SNIVELING!

Images
    I was at my local drug...um, equipment dealer's place the other day and I looked at a few climbing 'biners that could take 1000 lb + load. They were frikkin' huge, and heavy too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Do I smell an old schooler/purist here? (meant in the best possible way of course!) It seems several people on this site have recently ordered buckles. Before I thought they were being innovative but on second thought maybe they're just "stupid" like me! (just kidding) I think I may just give the rings a try. My new moniker could be "Lord of the Rings"!

Thanks for the info, Miguel
    By 'stupid' I didn't mean that using buckles or rings was stupid - I was referring to the stupid things that every human does every day - myself included. Have you ever put your boots on, laced them up and then realised you weren't wearing any pants? Or how about coming home and realising that when you went out you put the key in the lock and unlocked the door instead of locking it? I do stuff like that all the time.

Thus I figure buckles or rings might help alleviate sudden attackes of stupidity by allowing adjustments after messing up the tie outs.

I'm going to try the simplest options first, then elaborate if necessary - rather than the other way around.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Heavy is a realtive term. I use some of these: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

Hold 24 Kn closed - that means about 5,400 lbs for the Americans.

Work so far and only weigh 1.8 ounce (49 grams) each. Of course two of them together weigh about as much as my entire first aid kit - but for work the extra 3.6 ounces (98 grams) are worth it.
    NO SNIVELING!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast