Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I live a few miles north of TinaLouise and have the same problem with skeetters ect. I have treated all my hammocks with Permethrin but that is not a perfect solution, it keeps the bugs off the hammock but not me. If I am camping out I take my BB as I don't mind the extra few ounces if it means I can get a good nights sleep
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Most of the time I don't need bug protection on river trips in Utah & Idaho. There are, however, certain stretches of river that at certain times of the year can have skeeters something awful. Plus, if I'm camping in the mountains, near lakes, there can be some. I thought that getting a hammock with an integrated net (WBBB) would be the answer, but unfortunately I didn't care for the closed in feeling. I'm destined to be an open hammock kind of a gal. So I just got a WB Traveler & bug net. I can always carry the net "just in case" and go "topless" whenever the weather permits. I'm guessing that the Traveler & net weigh in at about the same as the Blackbird, and since I'm not a backpacker, the extra weight isn't a problem for me.
    KJ
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 12-27-2010 at 10:37.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I just checked the weight on the WB website...... 1.7 single Traveler + bug net = 28.0 oz. WBBB 1.7 single = 29.25 oz. These weights are with the webbing & CB suspension. So not a huge difference.
    I forgot to mention that I'm not a huge fan of DEET. I've done two Desolation Canyon trips in June, and went through two cans of DEET in addition to wearing a full bug net jacket with hood. Not fun.
    KJ
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 12-27-2010 at 10:36.

Images
    I hike by MS swamps, Mossy/tick heaven. My recent discovery of Permethrin for my clothes has vastly improved my ability to hike in warm months. Previously, I really did not even hike in warm months because the bugs were so bad and I hated DEET. Mostly, since Permetrin treated clothes, I have been able to hike without even any spray on my skin. (Although the third arm I have grown is kind of strange) The bugs pretty much don't even come near. Used to be, no amount of DEET would keep them from buzzing in my ears constantly, though it did keep them from biting.

The other great new thing for me is Picaridin for skin if needed. Or even on clothes for that matter, though it is not long lasting like Permethrin. I find this stuff way more pleasant than DEET. But the 15-20% stuff has so far kept the bugs from biting for many hours after I apply it.

I usually don't hang over night much during bug season. I just don't like the heat or bugs or more heat from a closed bug net. But I have, once or twice, slept in Permethrin treated clothing with some Picaridin on my face/head/hands(or a permethrin treated hat), during warm weather leaving the net either off or open. So far so good. Even with out treating the hammock, which would provide a lot of extra protection.

However, does any of this stuff work with black flies? I am only dealing with Mossys and ticks, which I just don't see or hear with the Permethrin/Picaridin.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-27-2010 at 09:49.

Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use the WB Bugnet on my Eno and it's as some have already said, it's a love hate relationship. It defiantly made it more muggy in the hammock at the Michigan Hang but the mosquitoes were tearing me up and the trade off was well worth it.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    In Michigan, I need a net between mid-April and mid-October. Absolutely.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The option of being able to leave netting off or carry it separately with the Traveler was the biggest reason I selected this hammock. And while there is not a lot of difference between the Bb and the Traveler when the netting is carried, there is when the netting is left off the Traveler. 16.5 oz to 25oz. That's nearly 1/2 lb!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Although the third arm I have grown is kind of strange
    Could be usefull for scratching does hard to reach spots
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Custom made multicam
    Tarp
    Custom 40DMulticam
    Insulation
    Thermolit/pad/bivy
    Suspension
    rope/straps/biners
    In my part of Alabama we have no-see-ums, mosquitoes, and ticks. I've slept in my hammock outside every night for the past year and a half. I started out using a bug net but quickly discovered that no matter how good your net is no-see-ums will still get inside. They hitch a ride inside your clothing so no matter what you still have to deal with a few of them.

My solution when the bugs are biting is Avon's Skin-so-soft ORIGINAL bath oil. If you're trying to protect against ticks and no-see-ums you have to cover every square inch of skin regardless if it is covered with clothing. The only reason I have used a net since is from mosquitoes buzzing around my ear waking me up. Not biting me but just being a nuisance.

The bug net I use is actually sold as a camouflage blind material at most outdoor stores for $20. Don't let the manufacturers fool you into thinking you need no-see-um material because you don't. Any material that is no bigger than your window screen material will work just fine. The bugs aren't smart enough to land on the material, crawl through the holes, and then fly on you. Bugs want to land ON their target and can't fly through. I simply hang the netting over my ridge line and let it drape down over my hammock.

So, IMHO, bug netting is not needed very often.
    Quote Originally Posted by exdiver View Post
    I roll more than a turd beetle.

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY's
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter Pa
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20, UGQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet buckles
    WeekNDHiker is right on! We used to use Skin So Soft in the everglades (literally in the middle of the Everglades!) 25 or so years ago. The stuff works great.

Another suggestion that will work on many critters but is annoying is sulfur. Now this may not work in other environments up north and such, but dusting exposed body surfaces with it works in Florida.

Also, when I venture out into the Ten Thousand Islands for a trip, about a month ahead of time I start taking a daily dose of zinc. This helps as well, but be careful as you can overdo it and you do have to take it a good four weeks in advance.

One more thing, avoid wearing red when around mosquitoes. When I was on a marine science research team as an undergrad we were the "subjects" (read victims!) of a mosquito study in the Ten Thousand Islands. I could bore you with all the details of the study, but the main thing is DON'T WEAR RED!

Have a great week Tribe!
    Doc

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast