TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    TeeDee and I pack our tarps and Bridge hammocks on the outside. But then our hammocks are made of polyester which does not adsorb water and they are rolled tight so that water cannot get to the inside of the hammock. When time to hang, swipe off any water on the outside with the hand. Easily done. With both the tarp and the hammock on the outside, we can have both set up without having to open the pack.

If TeeDee used nylon for the hammocks, we would have to pack inside since nylon absorbs water like mad.

Hammock
    HH Exped Mod #2
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Burrow in the Nest
    Suspension
    8ft WhoOPies
    Hammock and Tarp are on the inside of my Flash 65.
    The Woooods!

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Sorry Rat not following you. What do you mean your pack doesn't have an inside? I did a google on Macpouch and it came up with makeup kits, very strange...
    Yea, what Cranky Bear said, I use the Molly MacPack; MacPouches are accessories that MacEntyre makes (he also makes the Molly MacPack).

You can see the reviews in my Youtube link in the signature line, I'm no Shug, but I try (not really, I don't try very hard).
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I use a sil snakeskin for my hammock, so I can pack it either inside a pack or outside. I like it outside, so it's easy to set up quickly for a lunch break on the trail. I don't always take the time to do it, but I'm glad when I do. The tarp is separately packed, always outside, for quick set-up.

The snakeskin's longitudinal seam is waterproofed with a heavy application of silicone windshield sealant, so I leave it exposed on outside of the snakeskin. The inside is thus smoother (no silicone) and easier to slip on or off the hammock.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    Same here. Hammock on the inside and tarp on the outside in an exterior pocket.
    +2

too many reasons why this is the way too go...

Hammock
    1.1 SL BB or 1.1 SL Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat dlx & std
    Insulation
    down UQs
    Suspension
    Whoopie+DB+hugger
    Images
    Both hammock and tarp go on the inside for me. Too many thorny plants to catch on things if they are on the outside in AZ. Plus, things don't get wet as often It's a dry heat...lol.
    In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Hammock is inside in the main backpack (on my back). It's the first thing that I pack, so it's low inside the backpack. Then my quilts are free stuffed around it. The only thing I don't like about this arrangement is that in the evening when I go to put up the hammock, I have to completely empty out my backpack.

My tarp is inside in one of my "front" packs. It's usually wet and I don't want it packed anywhere near my quilts.

My backpack is an Aarn, hence the "front" packs.

When I first started backpacking, with tarp-tents, I never liked having to roll up my wet tarp-tent and pack it with my other gear. Moving over to just a tarp didn't work out so well either (I hate spiders). But the tarp did pack on the outside of my pack. Found hammocks and then found the Aarn pack. Both have worked out fantasticly for me. It seems what took me so long to figure out (tarp outside, hammock inside) has also been worked out by quite a few other's too.

TinaLouise

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Yea, what Cranky Bear said, I use the Molly MacPack; MacPouches are accessories that MacEntyre makes (he also makes the Molly MacPack).

You can see the reviews in my Youtube link in the signature line, I'm no Shug, but I try (not really, I don't try very hard).
    HaHa, After watching your video I now know what a MacPack is. Yes, I would say you are in the camp of everything is lashed on the outside.

Thanks everyone for your comments and preferred stowing methods.

Looks like I need to find a good exterior add-on pocket since my two main backpacks (Mtn Smith Stinger45 and a Gregory Teton60) are smooth sided with no exterior pockets.

Can anyone recommend a good quality exterior pocket to stow my tarp? It's a WB superfly so It's kinda large when folded up. The only attachment places on either of these packs are the side compression straps. That might limit the model of exterior pocket/s I could use.

Since setting up my shelter is the first thing I like to do when stopping for the nite having the hammock and tarp in easy reach is important to me.

One idea for the hammock and CCF that I was tossing around is to leave the CCF in the hammock, fold the hammock/CCF in to (long ways) and roll the whole thing up stuffing it in a long tent type stuff sack and strapping it on the top of the pack. Using the packs pad straps.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Lash it to the daisy chain on the back pocket of the pack. A couple of 3/4" cinch straps is all you need; just lash the tarp, in its stuff sack, to the pack. No need to buy external pockets, just a couple of small cinch straps (REI has some already made up, 2 for $6.50). Easy!

REI cinch straps
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    My Hammock has the WhoOpie slings, 3/4 length UQ & the 1X & BBO semi permanently attached, & all that goes inside a Black Bishop Bag, Then everything goes inside a extra heavy duty plastic bag & all fits in the bottom of my pack. I then put the TQ in the plastic bag & seal it up tight. My food & "spare" clothing go on top of that. My cook set is in the right pocket & the tarp & stakes fit nicely in the left pocket. Rain coat goes in the front pocket.
    Pack is a ULA Ohm.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12