Tarp
    OES MAC
    Insulation
    IX or Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Tyvek BBO

I plan on trying to make a BBO for my WBB out of Tyvek any suggestions?
    Thanks

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Since Tyvek isn't breathable, I think it would be a condensation nightmare. If Tyvek is the only material available, I would make sure to have effective vents.

I am also ready to make a BBO fro my Blackbird (with very breathable nylon) so I will be very interested in this thread. Thanks for posting!

I am planning to simply cut the nylon following the edges of the netting plus 1" more. But I'm not sure this is enough overhang??

I am also planning 6 attachment points. Basically, a strong mitten hook at each end of the ridgeline and at the 4 tie-out points for the Blackbird shelves. At least half of these would have a bit of elastic shock cord or ribbon. Again, I don't know if these are enough attachments or do I need to sew some intermediate loop to the hammock sides to create more attachment points??

Once again, thanks for this thread! I've had the material & hooks sitting here for a week, waiting while I finish 3 other projects!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Tyvek is considered breathable, but only in the sense that it is not a vapor barrier.

Breathability isn't black and white, either/or.

I, too, will follow this thread with interest.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MAC
    Insulation
    IX or Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Mad I did a basic mock up and used tape to build one and I found that a inch over lap was not enough for the seal I was looking for.

I have used Tyvek for ground cloths for my tents and I heard it was breathable it should be intresting to test this out in the BBO setup. Something about Tyvek that I like cant tell you what it is but I seem to always think of things to make out of it. I was thinking of adding some vents that I could open and close I guess I will go ahead and plan on putting them it.

This will be my first sewing project I have heard that you want to used big stitchs? I plan on haveing the edges shock cord run down the sides to help with the seal and using the WBBB tie outs as fixing point.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    tape is probably better..no seam seal needed.
    not sure if duct/gorilla tape would suffice for long term, or you need the special tyvek tape..

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    I've used a tyvek tarp for some time with good success. I used a combination of the tyvek tape and double sided carpet tape to reinforce grommets. If I had it to do over again, I would not use grommets but rather have taped in some tie out loops. You'll want to avoid introducing any holes to the material needlessly. The tapes work perfect. There is NO need to sew since the tape will be at least as strong as the tyvek itself.

I think you probably would have some condensation issues if you don't vent enough. I've not really had any issues of build up when used as a tarp though so I'm curious to see how well it breathes when used like this. The biggest concern however, in my opinion, would be the bulk size. Tyvek is cheap and light but does not pack down very well at all. I imagine that a Tyvek sock/BBO would be quite bulky. My 9x10 tarp, at best, rolls to a 4"+ diameter x 1.5'+ long roll. I stuff it inside the bag that my kids folding camp chair came in if that helps with a visual.

However, if bulks not an issue and your cheap like me, then Tyvek is a good way to go. If money's not the issue, then it's worth the experiment but I suspect nylon on top and dwr/silnylon on bottom might be better suited for weight/breathability/packability .

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MAC
    Insulation
    IX or Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Scum what kind of tape are you using?

I have used some Lowes Tyvek tape and it holds ok but fails before the tyveks does?

I am cheap and broke at the moment I have the Tyvek so I thought I would make a decent BBO. My first one is ok and would work just thought of getting away from taping the whole thing. Save a little weight and hopefuly make it conform better.

Please keep giving me your thoughts I have already changed my design form people post's. thanks

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    That's the exact tape I used. I used the tape along with the double sided carpet tape to reinforce grommets. I wrapped the double sided carpet tape around the edge about 3" in on each side, then used a spare piece of tyvek on top of that (wrapped around edge), then taped over the whole thing with the tyvek tape. So a cross section view of the reinforcement from bottom to top would be tyvek tape/tyvek/carpet tape/tyvek/carpet tape/tyvek/tyvek tape. Then I punched a hole and put in a grommet. Beefy - yes, but I've had a couple of the grommets fail and the reinforcements still hold without tearing.

When I put the tyvek tape on and tried to take it off, it started tearing apart the tyvek. I can't picture the tape failing. If you're doing a long seam, try taping along the seam on both sides. Also, I don't think a sock/BBO would be under a terrible amount of stress like a tarp would. So it won't need to take much of a beating. I suppose you could save some weight by sewing, but it's recommended that you cover any sewing with tyvek tape anyways to prevent perforation and seal the seam. I've noticed that when you start a cut on tyvek, it tears pretty easily. Introducing an un-reinforced sewn edge would make me nervous.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    So, if I am understanding this correctly, I should allow some overlap around the edges. Also, put a channel in the edge for some string with elastic, in order for the BBO to cinch up to the hammock?

How many inches of overhang is recommended?

This is great! I'm learning a lot here.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MAC
    Insulation
    IX or Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Mad I am planning on having about 3 inch over lap when completed on my first version I had about 1 inch and it let in some cold air.

If you put some cord locks on the end of your shock cord and you can make it as tight or loose as you want.

I just orderd my thread when I start my project I will put up some picts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast