Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    RJ,
    A wool blanket may not have the stretch needed for a wristie application. Socks work, fleece works.
    My opinion..whatever thats worth.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Excessive sweating of the hands (and armpits) can be a medical condition, hyperhidrosis, and is not necessarily indicative of overheating. I know because I finally got tired of the huge wet pits I got to show off doing presentations at work and got a prescription to dry out my underarms. I could be freezing cold and still have sopping wet underarms. My hands sweat quite a bit too. If I wear latex gloves for more than a few minutes, it looks like I put water inside my gloves.

So, this may just be the way it is. You could try wristies that cover very little of your palm. Maybe just a thumb and finger loop, similar to what Shug has for his wristies, but for your thumb too so that the majority of your hand is still exposed, but your forearms and wrists are covered.

~Dan

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I have some of these:
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...ing_googlebase

tho I got them somewhere else... I wear a liner glove (poly) underneath while trying to do camp chores in freezing temps, to let me have some dexterity while staying warm.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    I was pretty sure sweat was how the body cooled itself- can your hands be cold and sweaty at the same time? maybe a lighter weight fabric, or less coverage on the palms and more on the wrist/forearm? KM (who is puzzled at the conundrum..)
    KM who,
    Don't feel bad. Puzzlement is the natural and appropriate response to any conundrum.

However, it's a matter of timing: the wrists get warm and perspire, but instead of the moisture evaporating immediately and cooling the body, it's absorbed by the nasty cotton fibers. The body, still warm, continues to perspire. Then the moisture-soaked cotton against the skin finally warms up so the water starts to evaporate, drawing its heat of evaporation mostly from the body and not so much from the air, as would be somewhat the case with no wristies or wool wristies, which wick moisture out to the air to evaporate. But too much moisture has come from the body, so the evaporation continues even after the body has cooled enough to stop perspiring, and the body cools too much, i.e. gets cold.

All you scientists out there: I just made up this explanation. Any truth to it?

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I just made up this explanation. Any truth to it?
    Finally!
    Truth in advertising
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    I was pretty sure sweat was how the body cooled itself- can your hands be cold and sweaty at the same time? maybe a lighter weight fabric, or less coverage on the palms and more on the wrist/forearm? KM (who is puzzled at the conundrum..)
    Yep.
    You summed it up pretty well.
    My feet sometimes are cold to the touch (think meat in the refrigerator), but they will still be sweating. Not a ton, but enough that my socks are always a bit damp, even when cold and sitting still.

And my hands can be equally cold... if I put my hand on a polished surface (glass desk, counter top, table) for more than a few seconds there will be a little hazy moisture outline around where my hand was.

Imagine what my skates are like after a hockey game.

So, anyhow. I'm leaning towards cutting some finger tips off of wicking base layer gloves and wearing fingerless wool gloves or fleece wristies on top.
    Won't stop my hands from sweating. hope it will wick away the moisture to evaporate from the wool without the clammy feeling the cotton sock wristies provided.

Thanks all.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws
    acrylic socks or other manmade fabric. put the thumb hole in the heel.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12