Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY 4-Season, HG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Images

Are there adequate benefits to a serger for the hammocker?

I have been looking at a few sergers and surfing HF a bit on the topic. Check in. Do you use a serger machine? What kind? Do you think, for the outdoors gear making person, there's a reason to have a serger machine? What brand do you recommend?
    Thanks!
    Jonathan in St. Paul
    Haywire is my trail name, but I can't change it. Ha.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Everything I do is straight stitch. I haven't found a need for anything else.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY 4-Season, HG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Images
    That's more-or-less what I was thinking. Even the nicest stuff professionally made appears to be simple stitches.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The place where a serger excels is when working with stretch fabrics. The other place is for finishing edges of the fabric. IMO it is almost strictly a _sewing_ machine and has little application for the standard DIY bear maker. If you were looking to do commercial work that might make a difference. But unless you _sew_ I would think the investment would not be worth it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I love our serger. I use it for lots of things. Mainly because of the convenience of a finished edge. It is quick and easy. My wife has it though. I did not buy it.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY 4-Season, HG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Images
    PRELIMINARY VERDICT: I'm going to stick with my JC Penney 1510 and invest in some basic lessons through Community Education. I have made a few items, but have to admit I'm still not versed in the basics of zipper installation, seam usage, etc.

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    SERGER is nice for clothes as it finishes the edge and sews the seam in 1 pass. it eliminates the need to roll a hem which reduces the bulk of the seam. it is only an issue with clothes as bulky seams can be uncomfortable. however, a serger could be used on seams that would typically need multiple passes for strength. i think a pack would be a great product to use a serger on. you can get a lot of stitching on there in one pass and have a finished edge on the inside. most companies use gross grain to finish the inside pack edges, but that adds a lot of weight (ok "lot" is a subjective term). for hammocks and quilts i don't see any advantage or reason to use one at all so it depends what you plan to make.

-Tim

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I use my wife's serger exclusively for finishing edges. She has it threaded without the final needle that actually sews the hem, so any hems need to be sewn with a standard machine first. After that, I use the trimming blade and clean up all my edges. Works great for ripstop in my opinion, seeing as you don't have to worry about burning/singeing the edges, or wasting the time doing long rolled hems. The thing sews FAST (sometimes too fast, gotta watch it like a hawk) and leaves a clean professional edge.

It's more a matter of style over function. A stuff sack with unfinished, fraying hems works just as well as one where the edges were sealed with a candle flame. Little rolled hems work even better ... but knowing that if I turn my stuff sacks inside out the hems will look like the stuff you buy off the shelf at the camping store - makes me smile.

All that being said, if I didn't already have one in the house, I woudn't really see the need to get one. YMMV.

Images

re

Let me ask this a different way.

If one had a only a serger could they make gear with it or would you have to have a regular thread injector as well?

I have been told they excel at stretchy fabrics of which we only use a few (and can make do with on a normal machine) and from another that they are really just for edges that fray of which I'm not sure we mess too much with???

I get the impression the two machines are almost always used the way a construction professional would use two power drills. One setup for screws, and the other for the pilot holes even though they could really do the same job if you wanted to take the time to change setups for every hole or job.
    Compare that to say a set of pitchforks and a shovel, they are kind of similar but not really interchangeable at all.
    Or maybe I'm way off base?

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i don't own a serger and would never trade my machine in for one. i do think if it was all you had you could still make some nice gear. the serger can't do everything a machine can, but most of gear making is straight lines so again if it was all you had i think you would do ok. if i was buying something and had to choose, sewing machine, but thats what i know.

-Tim

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast